Flexjet Recalls Two Flight Attendants, Janitor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Realityman,

Because as you said, it comes down to management being able to do things cheaply. Okay fine. But remember one important point (and this excludes NJ's), with the exception of Flight Options, all the other frac players, from big to small, are non-union. Why is this important? Because none of them, NOT ONE, has a legally binding contract. If the management of any of those fracs decides they need to operate cheaper, they simply will. What, in reality, is to stop them from walking in one day and saying, "Hey everyone! Good news!! Starting right now, you're all taking a 25% pay cut, and we're eliminating 401K matching as well as requiring all of you to contribute more towards your own health insurance premiums. Oh, and you're all going to be working an extra two days every month. Have a nice day.". In fact, the mighty NJ's management did EXACTLY THAT with the non-union employees at our company.

How exactly does this prove that charter is no threat to the rest of us non-union fracs? Seems to make my point instead...

One more time, we are not an airline! Our work can't just be moved to charter or smaller operators. Not as long as the clients actually own shares of planes in the frac's fleets.

Thanks for pointing out the painfully obvious, of course "we are not an airline!" I was using this as an analogy....you know like, "Climb like a raped ape". Most of us know that no simian needs actually feel threatened after hearing this statement. I was just trying to point out that historically aviation management has had no trouble outsourcing product if it looks cheaper on the spread sheet, no matter the loss of perceived quality or safety. BTW, most of those flying today have no idea that the flight they just bought as a mainline flight in many cases is really being flown by someone else. What's to stop a frac to just mail the charter companies some matching ties or ask them to paint their jets in the same color scheme?

Not to burst your bubble, if I may borrow that phrase, but most of what happened in the airlines, happened while the union was there front and center with what they thought were good and solid CBAs at the time too. (Oh, I am aware it was not your union.....just in case :)) What makes you so sure that unions in the frac world have or will be able to anticipate all possibilities going forward??

As for scope being ironclad, I agree. It's not completely ironclad. But I think it's as good, or better, than any industry contract out there. Quite frankly, if BK wanted to start a completely separate frac company, call it Worldfrac, and start selling shares in that company while not selling anymore at NJA, and selling current NJA clients shares in the new company when their contracts expire, I suppose there's nothing we could do about it. I agree that it's impossible to eliminate every possible contingency in scope language. But it's better than no protection at all.

I agree with what you say about your contract, it's a thing of beauty and a testament to what can be achieved if pilots stop acting like children in a sandbox but instead come together and stick together for the betterment of the whole! That being said, you quite correctly point out that even that is not a sure thing! Exactly my point and why I tangled with you in the first place.

Management will always look for ways to save a buck (that's their job). Unfortunately labor is always the first place to look for savings because we are the one cog in the machine that actually keeps producing while its supplies and maintenance are slowly throttled!

Last edited:
Goon, you say I make your point for me. I just don't see how. When I say that if management wants to operate cheaper, they simply will, what I meant was, for the fracs that don't have a contract (again, not meaning to imply anyone needs or should have a union), if the company wants to operate cheaper, all they have to do is reduce wages and benefits, and maybe institute new schedules where everyone works more. Without a contract, what's to stop them from doing that? As I said, our own management team did exactly that with the non-union employees here. No need to farm out, say, the dispatcher's work to a subcontracter who is cheaper when they were able to simply adjust the compensation to where they thought it should be. So why would any management team presiding over a company without a contract with the employees, go to all the trouble of shifting work to the charter operators? They don't need to! Therefore, the charter operators aren't a threat.

I can't speak for the other frac operators, but all of NJ's planes have identical interiors (with one or two exceptions). Regardless of what uniforms the crews are wearing, or what color the outside of the plane is painted, I'm pretty sure the owners can tell a chartered plane from one in our program. Especially if a Falcon 50 shows up to pick them up instead of the Citation X they bought a share in. I just don't believe the owners would stay with any fractional very long that was ALWAYS putting them on a charter.

While I haven't heard any firm statistics, I didn't hear much grumbling from the Flops guys that Flops was farming work out to the charters while they were negotiating their contract. It would seem that if there was any situation where management had an opportunity to prove a point and farm work out to the charter folks, that would've been it. Yes, the company did downsize, but not to the charters.

Realityman,

I see your point about just cutting wages, and that's that, in the non union world. Things are not that simple though because that move would anger the remaining pilots to the point that they would unionize which is what happened at NJ. Too much downside with wielding that Ax, rather they have discovered the scalpel which is using charter as a permanent component to cover peak day demand. It may be more expensive for the individual flights but the long term employee cost can be controlled in their minds. (You know one column looks better while the other is just de-emphasized in the quarterly report as an anomaly..)

It's really a matter of degrees, while it's unlikely that a frac can survive with no planes of their own, it is possible to get customers to accept that they fly on "others" some of the time as long as they see that "their" plane exists somewhere. Over time you can increase that percentage without too much resistance from the owners. It is happening all the time and it is becoming the "new Normal". Customers accept it for the most part and the few that don't are just coddled by a no charter clause. The end result is that furloughs are extended longer than necessary and that is a threat to anyone who finds him/herself in that unfortunate position.

Last edited:
Officially the goon/realityman thread. wtf are these guys even talking about?? The thread is too long for me to waste time on, can someone summarize real quick for me?

Officially the goon/realityman thread. wtf are these guys even talking about?? The thread is too long for me to waste time on, can someone summarize real quick for me?

Considering that every thread on here ends up that way at some point, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they're talking about NJA. :D

It's really a matter of degrees, while it's unlikely that a frac can survive with no planes of their own, it is possible to get customers to accept that they fly on "others" some of the time as long as they see that "their" plane exists somewhere. Over time you can increase that percentage without too much resistance from the owners. It is happening all the time and it is becoming the "new Normal". Customers accept it for the most part and the few that don't are just coddled by a no charter clause. The end result is that furloughs are extended longer than necessary and that is a threat to anyone who finds him/herself in that unfortunate position.

Right on OHGOON. You get it. There are too many guys at NJA with the rose colored, kool-aid drinking glasses on that think everything in the CBA is just wonderful and fine and dandy. Easy for them to say when they still have a JOB! By they way, realityman, this is my second furlough in 7 years. The first time I was unemployed for a year. This time will most likely be much much worse.

I liked the part where you talked about how NJA could just send contractors gold ties and paint the aircraft like NJA, etc. Funny you mentioned that because I saw a CE-680 a few months back operated by EJM painted just like an EJA aircraft. This may be part of the future plans so the owners won't know the difference.

We just received another company update today stating how great EJM is doing and that their business is way up. They are growing while NJA is shrinking. They are a real threat. Some guys just don't want to open their eyes or take off their rose colored glasses and admit it.

I think we all know how this will end up in the end. The will continue to get rid of aircraft at NJA while growing EJM. It's eerily similar to the Majors vs. Regionals scope issues at the airlines. And yes, I understand that NJA is not an airline!!! It's another way for management to cut operating costs and they can reduce the amount of union workers (higher pay) at the same time.

I'd be scared to death if I were a current NJA pilot in regards to the shift from fractional to charter flying within the Berkshire-Hathaway "family." Wake up guys before it's too late!

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to fly with one of Flexjet's senior Kool-Aid drinkers a couple of rotations ago. Anyway, we got on the subject of charter, and I told him what I'd heard about the apparent hiring boom at some of the charter outfits 'Flex uses.

Me: "You know, there's not a thing that stops them from farming everything out to charter if they want."

Him: "I'm sure they'd never do that."

Me: "Yeah, you're right. I'm sure they have our best interests at heart."

It got pretty quiet after that.

Last edited:
Post containing creative swearing will be deleted and you can be suspended or banned from FI.. please.. keep it G rated.. thanks

I couldn't agree more.

I find the the use of the "C" word, with so many sitting, uncrewed aircraft, quite offensive.

Hung

I couldn't agree more.

I find the the use of the "C" word, with so many sitting, uncrewed aircraft, quite offensive.

Hung
Just for that expect no less than a 3 hour repo leg today, followed by a 45 minute live leg.

Latest resources

Back