Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
capt. megadeth said:
I don't agree with this statement. I think the sim is easier.

are you kidding me. Line flying is a joke as long as you get along with the crew. sit back relax and let george(autopilot) do its thing..just try not to get coffee on your shirt

PilotBTS1972 said:
I appreciate everyone's comments and assume that the interview boards I have met with since the bust had similar reactions. Going from a Seminole to a EMB-145 is challenging no matter how good a pilot you are, but what I said in my first post is the truth. Visuals were the primary reason for the extra time in IOE, but again, the extra time was not extraordinary. I agree that more time will help, but I'm not sure that doing stalls in a 172 and accumulating 500 more hours is going to make me any more qualified for a regional than I am now.

It's ok my friend...I kinda agree with ya, a visual approach on a Jet for the first couple of times is kinda tough. Especially if you dont have anything to back it up with like an ILS. So dont feel to bad, first jet I flew was the CJ, easy jet to fly, probably one of the easiest but every time I did a visual with no back up it made it look like I had no Idea what I was doing. Also having a dik head next to you screaming doesnt help at all. When I flew at the regionals and flew the CRJ I got stuck with an a$$hole of a captain for three days, that was my first big jet experience. If anyone thinks that doing a visual approach into detroit at night with windshear advisories and a ex navy tomcat a-hole is easy...then you suck. Dont worry by friend, as long as you get interviews you can always explain. If not then theirs always, 135 flying....or even better another job out of aviation! good luck

Sounds like your "well known" regional is Trans States. If that's the case they have a reputation for firing people on a regular basis. With your entry level hours and no previous airline experience any interviewer can understand how you might have been in over your head at the time. A company like TSA typically doesn't spend much extra time training pilots and they really don't care how far along you were in training either. A simple " I was in over my head at the time" followed up by a " I learned about a lot of weaknesses that I had as a pilot (situational awareness/instrument flying?) and I've spent a lot of time in simulators and in airplanes working on them so that doesn't happen again". At 1,000 hours you're new to all this. Work on it. WC (ex TSA)

How Do You Spell>>>>>>>

TOAST no company will invest thousands of bucks into a new pilot and then let them go for a simple go-around................IOE is nothing more than cooperate and graduate

You weren't humming in the cockpit while trying to recover were you?

In 6 years of doing I.O.E. I only downed one guy and the reason was he just couldn't fly. He passed his ride with extended training and basically slipped through the cracks until his I.O.E. His sim instructor claimed he was a nice guy, and yes he was, but I want my family and yours to fly with someone who can fly an airplane not win a popularity contest. After about 40 hours and still little to no progress he had to go. The only reason I bring this up is this could be you, but only you would know that!

capt. megadeth said:
Dude, there are people with less time than this guy/gal that get into a bomber and friggin go to Iraq. Let's stop the low time dramatics.

The screening and training process for military pilots is not comparable to the civilian world. Only the most capable make it, and ALTHOUGH they are low time, there is an unbelievable amount of ground training and prep that the typical light-plane CFI will not have. Plus, all time is highly structured to maximize learning. Light plane civilian pilot's training quality varies greatly.

Fligh time isn't everything, to be sure, but it really is silly that lots of people think that 1000 hours is all you need to fly a regional jet competently.

It is all SOME people need, and SOME need even less. But most of them would do well to get some real world IFR PIC in something that they can handle ALONE, rather than getting baby-sat at a regional.

ditto Skywest, go build some more time, there are lots of entry level cargo jobs. Make sure you come clean completely in any future interview. The interviewers have likley heard a lot of stories, they may even have personal contacts at your last company. They will get the unoffical off-line on what happened. We have hired two 121 IOE failures in the past, they both went on to other airlines and intact careers.

capt. megadeth said:
I don't agree with this statement. I think the sim is easier.

Agreed. I don't see why people get so worked up about the sim. There's no real surprises in the sim. No slam-dunk visuals without electronic guidance, no 250 til the marker, no multiple failures, nothing that could remotely be described as high-workload. I've always found the sim to be the easy part.

Latest resources

Back