Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotBTS1972

I recently completed training at a well known regional. I passed both my oral and checkride on my first attempt, however, busted my IOE line check for having to go-around on a visual approach due to an early base turn which resulted in me being high on final. I did have some extra time in IOE, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. The airline asked me to resign as a result of this bust. Since then, I cannot seem to get on with another regional and have been forced back into flight instruction. I am afraid that this scar has ruined my career. Granted, I am low time (920 TT, 150 ME), but I'm worried that I may never get on with another regional. Any advice from people with similar experiences.

As an aside, the airline I was with recently formed an alter-ego carrier and has been treating their pilots like dirt. I let everyone guess which regional I'm talking about.

I don't know why, but I don't think you just told the whole truth, which will make it hard for anyone to give you any advice.

Failing for initiating a go-around after conducting an unstable approach?

There has GOT to be more to it than that.

I'm with Jim, that sounds like it may have been the last problem, not the first. Airlines don't like to dump 20K into training you and then show you the door for no apparent reason. And IOE is a wierd place in the training process to get the boot. Extra IOE time IS out of the ordinary, line flying is the easiest part of airline aviation. Did anybody talk about trouble with the "big picture," "situational awareness," that kind of thing? That's what seems to be the case if problems manifest so late in the game. You can train a monkey to fly an ILS and recite memory items, but integrating skills and information quickly is the real trick.

Don't mean to point the finger, it's just that it's futile to think about and plan for other airlines until you honestly figure out what went wrong the last time and then fix it. Then and only then should you worry about how to explain this in a coherent, honest, positive fashion to an interview board.

Did you fail to recognize the high on final error and try to put in down anyway?

Come clean...confess...admit the whole scenerio. There aren't that many new mistakes in aviation, new ways to make the same error in a high tech way.

When you're instructing a primary student, how do you handle problems? If you feel they're not ready to solo, it's probably for a variety of little reasons that give you a bad feeling about their succes out there all alone. But to explain this in training records, or to your customer freindly boss, or even to the eager student, you have to pin the problem on a few significant material problems. Could that ill-fated approach just have been the last straw to a concerned check-airman? If he's gonna fail you, he has to have a good reason to put on paper. The GA may have been the "short" story.

there has to be more to the story, did you try and force the landing in and the capt have to take the plane or forget the gear?
Dont freak out because you arent getting calls because you are kinda of a low timer just keep flying and i am sure you will be fine.

Busting IOE is probably the best thing that has happened to you. Now you can focus on a career that actually pays! Stay out!

I appreciate everyone's comments and assume that the interview boards I have met with since the bust had similar reactions. Going from a Seminole to a EMB-145 is challenging no matter how good a pilot you are, but what I said in my first post is the truth. Visuals were the primary reason for the extra time in IOE, but again, the extra time was not extraordinary. I agree that more time will help, but I'm not sure that doing stalls in a 172 and accumulating 500 more hours is going to make me any more qualified for a regional than I am now.

sht happens. In your case though its just lack of experience. I would be honest about it. 920/150 is nothing and I can say for certain that you were in way over your head. However dont get down about it.. When I think I had your experience level there was probably no way I couldve made it thru training and IOE. Its scary to me to think that there are folks going from c152s into a 50pax regjet. I basis this just on my own experience. Good luck and stick with it...just build up your experience level.

P.S.
Your career is no where near ruined..this happens more than you think and people recover and go on to have good careers. Also at your experience level it is easily explained and understood.

Latest resources

Back