• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting fired is not the end of the world! I know of several people who have been "asked to resign" for different reasons, and they all seem to bounce right back. Push on, keep updating your resume, and something will happen.
It sounds to me like the IOE checkairman was having a bad day to "bust you."

Well if you are telling the truth (and not just lying to yourself) you need to come up with a better story than that to tell interviewers.

You need to explain that the high approach was the culmination of a long day, blah blah, you weren't giving it your A game, and you didn't recognize when you weren't operating to full strength. Because you didn't recognize the captain decided to take the aircraft, or something.

I would not believe you as an interviewer (just as I don't here) if you try to say you failed for just one thing.

It's like saying you failed for doing a flow in the wrong order, it's not the only thing that happened that day.

pilotbts1972,

that sounds a bit strange that a well known company would fire you for a poor visual approach to a go-around and a little extra IOE, especially having spent 20K+ on you during training like Cardinal said. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but that sounds a bit strange. I'm also at a well known regional which does everything they can to get you through training. I can attest they wouldn't fire an individual for a poor approach during IOE, maybe even a few bad approaches. Check Airman understand the learning curve and it's their job to work with you and get you through it, because after all, they were in your shoes at one point as well. I've heard of people washing out, but most of the time it's because of extreme circumstances where they are just not "getting it" or they can't keep up with the pace. I have never heard of someone busting for one bad visual approach. Keep your head up and move on. Who knows, maybe it was for the best. Look at it that way.

Get the Part 135 PIC minimums and start flying freight. It's a great way to get lots of experience and build some good years behind you to show to a future airline.

mynameisjim,

The problem is that it wasn't the result of a long day or a bad day and I don't want to lie and pretend otherwise in front of an interview board. I simply screwed up the visual. Again, visual's were the main problem for extra IOE and that problem continued on the line check. I thought I had corrected the problem, but since I'm back in a C-172, obviously the problem wasn't corrected to the point where the IOE Check Airman could sign me off.

Bankangle said:
Its scary to me to think that there are folks going from c152s into a 50pax regjet. understood.
Dude, there are people with less time than this guy/gal that get into a bomber and friggin go to Iraq. Let's stop the low time dramatics.

PilotBTS1972 said:
I have no reason to lie on a forum where I'm anonymous. It is what it is and the training records don't lie.
Not nocking you BTS, but just for my own curiosity, how much of your TT is split time?

Time where you split a twin or single rental and logged it with another pilot.

Mesa is hiring. (assuming it wasn't Mesa you were at in the first place).

Your familiarity with the ERJ will help you when you come the CRJ. Same basic concepts.

It has it's moments. But the Boyd group lists two RJP (RJ providers) as "bulletproof". Mesa, and Skywest. Everyone else is a crapshoot.

Latest resources

Back