• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex plane runs off runway at ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gee, with an attitude such as yours toward this woman, and no doubt toward women in general, is it any wonder how sexist attitudes are perpetuated?!

Perhaps you would do well to take a step back and analyze the reasons you didn't get hired and spend less time fretting over why she did.

Lufthansa's wife

Hey wife,

You couldnt be missing the point more here. Why dont you let the husband back in so he can do the writing as you are so far off base with the subject being discussed?

Read his posts...the issue isn't her sex, it's her willfully and knowingly disobeying military regulations as well as a direct (and lawful) order. I think he'd feel the same way about a guy that did the same.

Is holding her to the same standards as men in some way "sexist?" Is it not "more sexist" to give her a pass due to her gender? Just shrug and say "well, she couldn't help it?"

It's actually YOUR comments that perpetuate sexist attitudes. If you want to be treated as equals, then condemn bad behavior when your gender exhibits it. Don't go to the mat for her because she's a woman. Hold her to the same standards you expect of your husband.

Well put!

We're not risk "takers"...we're risk "managers". Just getting out of bed in the morning invites risk. The issue with her character, as with any of us who are required to make routine decisions based on empirical variables, is can she make decisions based on the priorities set-forth by the rules...or will she place herself outside them?

She placed herself outside them.

I know males who've done almost the exact same thing as her...and they were not hired. One was a Blue Angel.

If I was a feminist (and how do you know I'm not?) intent on true equality for the sexes, I'd change the subject when her name came up.

a) screw a lower enlisted woman's husband
b) do it again after specifically being told to STOP.
c)MOST IMPORTANTLY - it was her commander who told her to stop, and she disobeyed an order from a superior officer. I, nor anyone I know in military service has done this and been rewarded with an airline job.

I just don't see how it's anyone's business who someone sleeps with in the first place. :confused:

The disobeying an order is another story.

I am sure there are plenty others who have done this and gotten an airline job....you just don't hear about it because they are probably white males. Whenever a female pilot screws up, you hear about it.

One more thing V70T5.....tell me honestly.....you have NEVER cheated on anyone?

Last edited:
We fly jets heavy, we fly them safely, and we have a crapload of flights everyday into some of the busiest and loneliest places on earth.

But you aren't crashing airplanes at the loneliest places on earth. You are crashing planes in the same environment as the rest of us.

I still believe making the hiring process like a fraternity causes the wrong people to get hired

The accident/incident records speak for themselves and for the training. And before some MD11 driver wakes up and tells me its because "the aircraft is hard to land" refer back to the accident/incident records.

Magnum et al,
You are absolutley correct, everyone should be held to the same standards. No where in my writing did I condone what her actions were. What she willfully chose to do is wrong on many fronts, morally and professionally. I understand your points very well. Could this one mistake that she made in the past predict whether or not she has a complete disregard for authority and will put her crew in danger in the future? Maybe. Apparently the "risk takers" in that hiring department felt it was worth the risk to find out. I am not defending either position.

I do indeed wish everyone was held to the same standard. Unfortunately the standards vary depending on many factors and we all know it. Different standards are set for gender, some for race, for social status and so on and so forth. I was pointing out how unfortunate it was that this person was singled out, in my opinion, because she was female and she chose to try to defend herself from injustices she perceived as being carried out against her. Notice I wrote injustices she perceived, not injustices I perceived.

The sexist attitude is perpetuated when men, and I am not suggesting you Magnum, decide to soothe their egos with the suggestion that he was passed over for a flying position because of equal opportunity. Maybe this is the case sometimes, however unfortunate. If you look at Vt's posts you will see that he clearly states his opinion is that she obtained her position simply because of her gender. It is not until after he tries to incite Capt. Megadeth, further showing his ugliness toward women, that he tries to hide his original intent by pointing out how she deliberately disobeyed her superior's orders.

So as I see it, you missed the point. No where did I defend this woman for her actions, I simply pointed out VT's thinly veiled sexist attitude and that perhaps he should look inward before speaking.

I certainly did not mean to strike a chord with so many of you.

It is not until after he tries to incite Capt. Megadeth, further showing his ugliness toward women,

VT has tried to incite several people on other threads...is that an example of showing his ugliness toward males? Looks to me like he's a shining example of fairness and equal opportunity!

perhaps he should look inward before speaking.

Good advice, but flawed. I'm not perfect in many areas of my life...should I avoid criticizing someone for disobeying orders because I shoplifted a six pack when I was 15? Moral judgements are okay...say it with me...it's okay to judge. There is a corollary to the whole "Do not judge...." statement. It's "...lest ye be judged." I follow lawful orders and don't have sex with my subordinate's wives...I'm happy to be "judged" in that area.

I just don't see how it's anyone's business who someone sleeps with in the first place. :confused:

Oh Capt., you sound like my type of woman. I bet we could have some real fun on the layover. In fact, I'll probably give you the best 3 minutes of your life. ;)

But I need to know. Do you like to spoon? Because if so, I'm not into that. I prefer to just roll over and fall asleep when I'm done. ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back