• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA won't back training requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember toward the end of my tenture at Colgan having a conversation with a training captain about the inability of the 300 hour wonder boys to perform simple operations in the airplane. His response was that their objective was to just get the kid to pass the checkride and get them out on the line where we (the captains) were supposed to teach them the rest. I took a new job soon after.

Sounds familiar.Some of those I flew with had 80+ hrs of IOE,instead of washing them out. As you said, us line captains had to teach them the rest.

Hooray! I've been waiting for the semi-annual arguments in this thread:

You must have at least as much experience as I did to be in an airline.

I know a Captain with X hours who sucks.

I know an FO with X hours who rocks.

You must have experienced (engine failure, severe icing, hail, etc) X times before you can fly in an airline.

In order to want to work at an airline, the pay must be X before you accept.

You must fly a turboprop X hours at your airline before you move on to jets, even if your airline doesn't operate turboprops.

etc.

Babbitt is an industry tool. 1500 hours as an entry level into Part 121 flying should be the minimum. It WILL make things safer. The problem is that the industry would rather keep costs down by hiring wet rookies than hiring experienced pilots, and the industry owns the FAA. Yes, it's really that simple.

Someone gets it. Best summary I have read.

Babbitt is an industry tool. 1500 hours as an entry level into Part 121 flying should be the minimum. It WILL make things safer. The problem is that the industry would rather keep costs down by hiring wet rookies than hiring experienced pilots, and the industry owns the FAA. Yes, it's really that simple.

I support the 1500 hour minimum ATP requirement for regional airline pilots. If anything it would delay low time pilots by several years till they reach the cockpit of a RJ. This would instill a since of I earned it and not that I deserved it because I paid for my job. We would see new hire pay increase to an acceptable level to attract higher timed pilots. Who do you want in the cockpit? Pilot A with an ATP new-hire who won't accept anything less than $35hr or Pilot B with 400 hours who is willing to work for $23 hour. This law would ultimately increase everyone's QOL and pride for our profession.

1500hrs would also delay people hired with 600 hrs. to upgrade with 2000 hours. That is the big problem with low time new hires. Low time pilots hired and then they upgrade with very low experience and then fly with 400 hr pilots is a recipe for disaster.

Just like the GIA graduate did with the Colgan Dach 8. That captain should never have been hired with so low time and then upgrade so fast. Especially with this guys track record. He should have found another profession. But they just pushed them through the low cost system. An absolut disgrace. I hope the families get tons of money out of this. Low time is not good. Especially if the Capt. is low time. and a failure.

M

WTF is wrong with someone wanting to fly AIRLINE passengers as a pilot to hold an AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT certificate??

I totally support the requirement to have at least an ATP to start in any airline ground school.

1500hrs would also delay people hired with 600 hrs. to upgrade with 2000 hours. That is the big problem with low time new hires. Low time pilots hired and then they upgrade with very low experience and then fly with 400 hr pilots is a recipe for disaster.

Just like the GIA graduate did with the Colgan Dach 8. That captain should never have been hired with so low time and then upgrade so fast. Especially with this guys track record. He should have found another profession. But they just pushed them through the low cost system. An absolut disgrace. I hope the families get tons of money out of this. Low time is not good. Especially if the Capt. is low time. and a failure.

M

I'm.....I'm....I'm....speechless. MCDU, for the first time I can remember I unequivocally agree with you.

I will not purchase transportation on any of these airlines for myself or family. Not safe.

I guess you never have flown on any foreign airline? Most foreign airlines have Ab Initio programs where they have guys that start out with 0 hours and by 250 hours are flying right seat in a B747 or similar size aircraft. The difference with them over US airlines and training, is that they go through a very stringent and tough testing program, you know early on if you are cutout to be a professional pilot. Maybe we should adapt a similar program in terms of training. we will never see an Ab Initio program in the US due to a vast resource of pilots from various sources.

Latest resources

Back