• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA won't back training requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I seem to remember that both crew members of the Buffalo crash had more than 1500 hours. Tell me how this change in rules would have saved any lives on that flight. The problem seems more related to the fact that Colgon's training was (is?) CRAP. I seem to recall the among other things, the Captain had never been trained on what the stick shaker felt like. WTF?

I seem to remember that both crew members of the Buffalo crash had more than 1500 hours. Tell me how this change in rules would have saved any lives on that flight. The problem seems more related to the fact that Colgon's training was (is?) CRAP. I seem to recall the among other things, the Captain had never been trained on what the stick shaker felt like. WTF?[/QUOTE

the capt got hired with 600 hrs

Get it
M

How about hold the FAA accountable for their responsibility and authority to regulate and license airmen and airlines?
If a fed signed your ATP or CPL and then they sign off on the training programs and oversight of same, then they should be the ones answering questions when a flaw is found either in the system or the pilot it produces.

I agree.
It is pretty sad when the race to the bottom has to be stopped by blood of innocent passengers.

"Babbitt argued that basing training requirements merely on the basis of flight hours was not the best way to guarantee that pilots are adequately trained.
He said the FAA is looking at ways to make sure pilots receive specialized training in exposure to icing, multiple-pilot operations and other facets of commercial aviation."

Once again we see that the FAA and others fail to distinguish between two very important facets of this job: One is training/education, and the other is EXPERIENCE!!!

YOU CANNOT TEACH EXPERIENCE!!!!

Only EXPERIENCE will give you EXPERIENCE. And at 1500 hours, you are just beginning to understand your EXPERIENCES as a pilot.

I dare say that NO highly and well TRAINED 250 hour pilot has:
* flown an approach to minimums in hard IFR,
* gone missed against their will,
* diverted,
* carried so much ice that they ran out of elevator trim,
* picked their way through a line of steady state thunderstorms,
* gotten their a$$ kicked by a line of steady state thundersorms,
* landed on snow and ice,
* dealt with low level windshear, wake turbulance, or mountain waves, and the joys of virga,
* "made it stick" in a howling winter crosswind, in the middle of the night, at some uncontrolled field in Nowhere, Indiana,
* learned how and when to make a controller your friend,
* pissed off a ground contoller at JFK, ORD, IAD, IAH, or ATL,

These, and many other things cannot be TAUGHT. A pilot must EXPERIENCE these things to fully understand and appreciate them.

Last edited:
When i flew with these 300 hr wonder kids, they didn't know they were getting themselves in trouble. Now that was scary.I can't count how many times i said "I have the controls".

"Babbitt argued that basing training requirements merely on the basis of flight hours was not the best way to guarantee that pilots are adequately trained.
He said the FAA is looking at ways to make sure pilots receive specialized training in exposure to icing, multiple-pilot operations and other facets of commercial aviation."

Once again we see that the FAA and others fail to distinguish between two very important facets of this job: One is training/education, and the other is EXPERIENCE!!!

YOU CANNOT TEACH EXPERIENCE!!!!

Only EXPERIENCE will give you EXPERIENCE. And at 1500 hours, you are just beginning to understand your EXPERIENCES as a pilot.

I dare say that NO highly and well TRAINED 250 hour pilot has:
* flown an approach to minimums in hard IFR,
* gone missed against their will,
* diverted,
* carried so much ice that they ran out of elevator trim,
* picked their way through a line of steady state thunderstorms,
* gotten their a$$ kicked by a line of steady state thundersorms,
* landed on snow and ice,
* dealt with low level windshear, wake turbulance, or mountain waves, and the joys of virga,
* "made it stick" in a howling winter crosswind, in the middle of the night, at some uncontrolled field in Nowhere, Indiana,
* learned how and when to make a controller your friend,
* pissed off a ground contoller at JFK, ORD, IAD, IAH, or ATL,

These, and many other things cannot be TAUGHT. A pilot must EXPERIENCE these things to fully understand and appreciate them.

And you're not going to get that at college and you're not going to get that flight instructing.

That leaves us with military, Part 135, and corporate. But are there enough of these jobs to create enough of your "experienced" pilots for the airlines?

I seem to remember that both crew members of the Buffalo crash had more than 1500 hours. Tell me how this change in rules would have saved any lives on that flight. The problem seems more related to the fact that Colgon's training was (is?) CRAP. I seem to recall the among other things, the Captain had never been trained on what the stick shaker felt like. WTF?[/QUOTE

the capt got hired with 600 hrs

Get it
M

How many hours did he have when he crashed? Probably more than 600, smart guy. Get it yourself.

Latest resources

Back