F9 still in play

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And another thing:

All this talk about "not enough time" to make a decision.

That IS just so much Horse Sh!t to be shoveled.

Look folks, what do you do every day?

Make decisions.

You had a decision to make to determine your fate. Much as you do most every time you strap on the Jet.

You're on course...Oh-Oh, nasty Cell ahead (RAH)...The sky to the east looks somewhat clearer (SWA), but not completely clear.

Quick now Captain, you only have a few minutes to make this decision...Do you plunge ahead into the known quantity of sh!t or make a decision and take action to seek the relatively clear skies to the east?

In this case, F9 "plungethed" forward into the "Ca-Ca".

Too bad. So sad.

Maybe if you had had a week or two to think it over the answer would have come to you?

Negative Ghost Rider. That ain't how we do Business in these parts.

You had a Command Decision of no great complexity to solve... and froze up.

You are now out of ideas, airspeed, and altitude....all at the same time.

The Laws of The Universe, Economics, Physics, and Airline "Management" will now determine your fate.

Not you.

Oh, The Huge Manatee....

YKLOLAY

Last edited:
First I've heard about selling assets to SWA. All I've heard is Midwest Employees in cities served by Frontier are getting layoff notices because Frontier will be handling all the aircraft. Also a bunch of Midwest employees in MKE are being laid off as well. There is a lot of talk about Frontier aircraft going to MKE to fly some of the longer haul routes because 190s cannot handle the load. Flights to LAX are full every flight. Also a while back DL supposedly approached RAH about flying Q400s, but Bedford felt the revenue generated by flying a few Q400s for DL would not justify the cost of adding them to the CHQ certificate. Now that he owns a certificate with Q400s I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up flying for DL or CO.

Not too sure if I believe all this SWA talk of buying assets. But then I've had 2 US Airways jumpseaters tell me Republic is buying either the East or West operation (with American buying the other half)......

Gonna be an interesting next few months around here.

it was CAL that asked RAH to bid on the Q400

Boy if this is true, this could get ugly. I feel for the F9 guys if this has any merit.

Don't feel bad for those guys, they made thier own bed now they have to lay in it. If F9 pilots really thought Republic was the best deal for Frontiers future then keep smoking the crack pipe!!

As a senior FO at WN I have NO ILL WILL towards the F9 Guys. It was a real Sh#t sandwich that they were forced to take a bite of. I am sure they were shooting for Binding Arbitration with SWA or the proposed better deal at RAH. With hours to make that decision, I think most normal people would have about a 100% chance of second guessing thier decision.

Right now, there is massive speculation going on about F9's future. It could be organic growth, or splitting up of some of its assets. Gary Kelly's latest contract negotation with SWAPA wanted to put back the "RJ" exemption that was negotiated on for the purchase of Frontier. That latest request was only 5 days ago. That means something is up. Only Gary Kelly and company have a clue.

Best of luck F9 guys! It cant be fun to be on this roller coaster!

as compared to all of the other acquisitions and mergers that have gone so swell, like AAL/TWA and USair/AWA and even DAL/NWA had/has a fair share of rancor and they were about as perfectly matched as you can get.

and I haven't seem much 'hatred' although there have been some high emotions.

another reason is that M/B changed the landscape, leaving binding arbitration as a huge land mine or goal to reach for depending on your perspective going in.

the reason SWA guys still care/are interested is that we hear that our CEO has not given up on the whole merger game so we might see more of this in the future. yuck, but he didn't ask me.

also it probably was the disbelief exhibited by both sides. SWA guys had trouble believing that F9 wanted to be bought by RAH after we've all watched what happened/is happening with Midwest. F9 guys probably found the whole situation to be pretty crappy and thought that they had a pretty strong hand. and maybe they did, they seemed pretty happy when it fell through. as were many SWA guys.

so, I don't see the hatred. I see a nearly 'forced/arranged marriage' that didn't happen. both sides are happy but naturally enough, they wonder what might have been. it is human nature. and they watch to see what will be.

No matter how you twist this situation, you can't help but to feel bad for the F9 guys. Only hours to strike a deal. A staple job with perhaps a few triggers that could negatively impact their pilot group. With that kind of pressure, it's hard to judge their decision one way or the other. I like to believe that they made a decision based on the principle that it was the best road for their group with the information available at that time. If that's the case, who can fault them?

Regardless, the real tragedy here if these rumors turn out to be true, is the rape of labor by corporate America yet again. Once again, the big shots have found a loophole to bring labor to its knees, while they walk away with millions. That in my opinion is at the heart of what is wrong with this profession and many others in today's world. No matter what side of the argument you stand on, this action if it comes to pass, should enrage and scare every pilot in this industry. Because guess what? Today it could be them, but none of us have a crystal ball that tells us what the future holds for us tomorrow. No matter how financially secure we may feel today.

I believe this debacle isn't the result of the majority of F9 pilots. There was no vote, no poll, no anything to hear what the F9 LINE pilots had to say. The result of this decision was solely based on FAPA. ALL of the LINE pilots were at bay watching this go down. It was FAPA's decision to exit communications... Not the line pilots!

Last edited:
All this talk about "not enough time" to make a decision. That IS just so much Horse Sh!t to be shoveled. Look folks, what do you do every day? Make decisions.

People take longer periods of time to negotiate buying a new car than SWAPA/FAPA had available that night.

Latest resources

Back