• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lighten up tightwad. Say what you wish/how you wish, and I will do the same. You don't like it?? Tough sh!t. I'm not gonna have a heart attack over someone's phraseology. Besides, I really don't pay much attention to others conversations to care or notice. Back to the AIM (need some TP). :beer:

I just dont want you running into my airplane because you turned to 240 instead of climbing to FL240. Or blocked a controller for 10 seconds 3 times while you're howdying and withyaing and ahhhhhing him to death and he couldnt move someone out of the way and got a deal.

Its a big deal, and it will eventually cause an incident/accident.

You are the one trying to argue with the AIM. But I guess if all the guys at the majors do it, that makes it professional.
I can see why people shorten or substitute phrases to save time. Four point six vs four thousand six hundred is a great example. I do it too from time to time. Thats not the topic of this thread.

Continue viewing the AIM as optional and it will eventually bite you in the ass.
Sounds like you view it as optional.

The point is not whether these phrases are normal or common.
Actually that is the exact point I’m trying to make.

I wish phraseology was part of checkrides. Theres countless accidents/incidents were standard phraseology was not used.
Sounds like you’re reaching, find one accident that that was caused by someone using “with you”, or “4.6”. You can’t. There is no such accident. Quit trying to be dramatic.

The point is that all these things are written in the AIM for a reason. Safety. Take shortcuts for speed, or to "sound professional" (even though you sound completely opposite) and there will eventually be a miscommunication. With enough miscommunication you will eventually have an accident.
I can see why people shorten or substitute phrases to save time. Four point six vs four thousand six hundred is a great example. I do it too from time to time. Thats not the topic of this thread.

You’re just a big hypocrite.

I'm proud to have attended ERAU.
enough said

Last edited:
You will never improve until you recognize you have room to improve. My goal as a pilot is to continually improve. I'm not perfect, but when you dont even recognize you have a problem....you are dangerous. Keep telling yourself your nonstandard phraseology makes you a professional. The real professionals will be laughing.

The topic was not only about 4.6 or "with you". Those are minor...but you will never win the argument that those phrases are ok because "everyone does it".

If you read the thread title, it was about extraneous phrases. Just because they are normal or common doesnt mean they are correct.

Read the AIM, its there to help. Actually, read Don Brown's articles first. They are much easier to read and they will help you greatly.

You will never improve until you recognize you have room to improve. My goal as a pilot is to continually improve. I'm not perfect, but when you dont even recognize you have a problem....you are dangerous. Keep telling yourself your nonstandard phraseology makes you a professional. The real professionals will be laughing.

The topic was not only about 4.6 or "with you". Those are minor...but you will never win the argument that those phrases are ok because "everyone does it".

If you read the thread title, it was about extraneous phrases. Just because they are normal or common doesnt mean they are correct.

Read the AIM, its there to help. Actually, read Don Brown's articles first. They are much easier to read and they will help you greatly.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! you are simply amazing. get over it already.

Thanks for the lecture! Get over yourself!

Last edited:
The topic was not only about 4.6 or "with you". Those are minor...

So you decide what is considered minor? You get to pick and choose what you follow from the AIM? Wait a second, I thought you were just saying that using non standard phraseology will cause an accident? If you are so all knowing, why don’t you follow your own advice?

I can see why people shorten or substitute phrases to save time. Four point six vs four thousand six hundred is a great example. I do it too from time to time.

I see, it’s only OK if you do it.

Or blocked a controller for 10 seconds 3 times while you're howdying and withyaing and ahhhhhing him to death and he couldnt move someone out of the way and got a deal.

Sounds like you like to exaggerate a little. Drama added courtesy of kf4amu.

I bet you are one of those kneeboard wearing, tell everyone you’re a pilot, “I wish I was flying” license plate cover, can’t hand fly an ILS, hacks. But at least you’ll sound good on the radio when you go full scale, and tell ATC you’re going missed.

The AIM is not regulatory. That's why it's separated from the FARs. Do you understand the difference between the two?

I have heard these phrases from numerous air traffic controllers, flight instructors, freight pilots, 135 pax carrying pilots, 121 pilots, and yes even the feds them selves. The first time I heard altitude reported as 4.6 was from a flight instructor who majored in ATC. He now works Chicago center. AIM or not, it is the norm, so get over yourself!

Just today I decided to count how many times I’ve heard altitude assigned or read back as a decimal (4.6 for 4,600). ATC: Aspen app. and Kansas City app.; There were too many “with yous” to count. And SkyWest, Mesaba, DAL, Net Jets, and Citation Shares all used the either 124 and a quarter for freq., 5.5 and/or 5 and a half for altitude. If this is as dangerous as you say it is we should ground 90% of crews out there and retrain them along with just as many air traffic controllers.

Either over half of aviation professionals are wrong, or the AIM doesn’t reflect what is truly standard phraseology. Maybe we should look at changing the AIM to represent the true standard phraseology.

Idiot.

So you decide what is considered minor? You get to pick and choose what you follow from the AIM? Wait a second, I thought you were just saying that using non standard phraseology will cause an accident? If you are so all knowing, why don’t you follow your own advice?

Things that most people do on a daily basis that dont affect safety to a large degree would be considered minor. Unfortunately, you have so little experience in the communications industry that you don't even know the kinds of problems nonstandard phraseology cause, therefore to you, everything is minor.

And I DO try to follow my own advice. But I am human. The difference between you and I is I admit I'm wrong and try to get better. You justify it with a 2nd grade argument.

I bet you are one of those kneeboard wearing, tell everyone you’re a pilot, “I wish I was flying” license plate cover, can’t hand fly an ILS, hacks. But at least you’ll sound good on the radio when you go full scale, and tell ATC you’re going missed.

Good communications have nothing to do with flying ability. Nor would I be so bold or cocky to compliment my own flying skills. I'll let others do that if they wish.

Your attitude is dangerous.

Latest resources

Back