Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Green:

That is the reason why scope has to be inclusive.

But then again the RJDC doesn't believe any pilot group can have scope language which controls outsourcing of an airlines code. The RJDC folks seek to have no limits on outsourcing, regardless of wholly owned status or aircraft type/size.

Quote: Q&A with an informed RJDC supporter

1. Can the DAL pilot group, or any pilot group own/control their code?

In a word, NO. The “code” under which your airline operates is not owned by the Delta pilots and it is not controlled by the Delta pilots. The “code” is owned by Delta Air Lines, Inc. and they alone “control” it. The same applies to other “codes” owned by other airlines.

Last edited:
mdanno808 said:
Great in theory, but ALPA Nat'l cannot collectively bargain against every airline in the U.S. at once. Each airline has different circumstances, which will inevitably create different pay scales, benefit's etc. For example, look at what United pilot's made in the year 2000, versus what they make now. For a carrier in deep financial trouble, (NWA is a prime example) unions are obviously going to be a little more giving at the negotiating table to ensure the airline's success, while a carrier like SWA is posting profit's, and giving labor pay raises. Here lies the biggest problem. Circumstances will vary from carrier to carrier, and from year to year. In a stable environment (regulation?), the idea of an across the board payscale would be possible, but not in todays airline industry. Airlines, and union's need flexibility when it comes to negotiations. The only option we, as pilot's have, is to elect people we trust and respect to our MEC, and to vote for what we feel is fair.

I guess what I meant was an ALPA minimum acceptable pay per aircraft type. If the bottom line is drawn than no company can negotiate below that line. If they do, ALPA will not endorse the contract and they will be left without national representation. There is the problem: ALPA is scared to lose the members. It is really a catch 22 I guess. The only way the race to the bottom can be stopped is scope clauses. Unfortunately those are just another negotiating point. The clause should be simple: Any and all revenue flying for or in support of XYZ airline will be done by pilots on the XYZ seniority list. This wouldn't even be an issue if mainline pilots stopped this 10 years ago. Can someone explain why mainline MECs allowed regionals to take their flying. I don't think there were any regionals before 18 years ago, what happened?

BBB

~~~^~~~ said:
Green:

That is the reason why scope has to be inclusive. Mainline might have bought a phantom jet, after all, the CASM is slightly lower on the XXL CRJ.

I simply do not understand why ALPA continues to promote the creation of alter ego low cost carriers within a brand. Obviously the US Air pilots low balled the E190 rates to "recapture" that airplane at mainline. Will the Delta pilots do the same, undercutting ASA's nearly 7 year old contract to keep airplanes from going to connection? Then who is next?

The race for the bottom started with ALPA's apartied system of separating pilots into preferred and non preferred carriers. Time for things to change.

~~~^~~~

My guess is that you'll see Jet Blue E190 wage rates for the E190 at Delta to keep the flying in house with the likelihood of further negotiations down the road. My Delta buddies tell me there are strong indications that the E190 will join the fleet in the near future. Unfortunately, I would also expect quite a few 50 seaters to be parked given the poor operating economics...

Grinstein mentioned in the ATL crew lounge a few days ago that Delta mainline will get any new 100 seaters, since that was a market for Delta mainline. Oh, the RJDC will be pi$$ed......

Bye Bye--General Lee

This whole discussion is interesting but.....

I don't care where the 100 seaters go. I don't think airline management has any problem putting them at the "majors" as long as the cost structure for the planes works. It was never going to happen with astronomical pay rates, DB pension plans and inefficient work rules.

I don't know if scope clauses and pay rates for airplanes that aren't on the property and may never be is really worth even discussing. This company still has to survive. There's a lot of challenges with a merger (the seniority integration should be fun to watch) and I doubt that anyone is in a big hurry to add another new airplane type into the mix. It's going to be complicated enough making a smooth-running, economically viable carrier out of these two airlines. Let's see if this company will even exist 2 years from now then worry about 100 seaters. It's going to be a lot harder after October to run into court and have all of your wishes granted by the bankruptcy genie if things don't work out. The free ride for deadbeat, welching debtors is coming to an end. This airline will still have to compete with simpler and more efficiently run LCC's in the East. USAirways couldn't do it, let's see if the "new" USAirways can.

FDJ2 said:
But then again the RJDC doesn't believe any pilot group can have scope language which controls outsourcing of an airlines code. The RJDC folks seek to have no limits on outsourcing, regardless of wholly owned status or aircraft type/size.

You sure do spend a lot of time feeding false information about the RJDC. Thankfully most pilots have the ability to weed your false info from the truth.

General Lee said:
Grinstein mentioned in the ATL crew lounge a few days ago that Delta mainline will get any new 100 seaters, since that was a market for Delta mainline. Oh, the RJDC will be pi$$ed......

Bye Bye--General Lee

I hope you're right. But up till now whenever GG said something the opposite has happened. Remember CRJs shouldn't fly more than 2 hours? Our flights more than 2 hours has gone way up since the TA. Not shrinking to profitability, etc. He's been "opposite Jerry".

General Lee said:

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think that Grinstein tells people what they want to hear, right up until the time he tells them something else. Also, I don't think the RJDC will be upset. I don't think (to the extent I understand their arguments) they have ever argued with DAL's right to determine where they will put flying that the corporation (not the DALPA pilots) owns and controls. These will be new airplanes that Delta will possibly be getting (with money they don't have) and I think it would be absolutely fine with the RJDC if DAL guys fly them, that's never been at issue.

With or without the RJDC and ALPA; work protection provisions that attempt to override economic reality never hold up in any private industry. If DAL management thinks that the 100 seaters can be operated profitably by mainline they will probably put them there, however, you are at the mercy of the bankruptcy court and I would be very surprised if DALPA gets any written guarantee that the 100 seaters HAVE to be at mainline. Just look at this property for guidance; the USAirways guys "got" the EMB-190's but the price was a minimum of 93 CRJ-900's flying around. That's like the company saying that you can have all the 737 flying as long as we can let someone else operate a minimum of 93 A-319's on our behalf.......does that make sense?

fam62c said:
I think that Grinstein tells people what they want to hear, right up until the time he tells them something else.

I was there. And actually I don't think its a question of GG wanting to give the Delta pilots the 100 seat flying as much as they are finallly figuring out when you outsource, you give another company the opportunity to make a profit with that segment of the market, and you see no financial benefit. Look at the RJs. Many of our regionals are profitable. Yet Delta is losing money. Its almost impossible to enter into a code share deal that enables both Delta and the code share partner to make money. Same applies to international, thats why you will see expansion of DL international flying.

michael707767 said:
I was there. And actually I don't think its a question of GG wanting to give the Delta pilots the 100 seat flying as much as they are finallly figuring out when you outsource, you give another company the opportunity to make a profit with that segment of the market, and you see no financial benefit. Look at the RJs. Many of our regionals are profitable. Yet Delta is losing money. Its almost impossible to enter into a code share deal that enables both Delta and the code share partner to make money. Same applies to international, thats why you will see expansion of DL international flying.

One thing is for certain, Grinstein is not a big fan of the 50 seaters... Look for more reductions in 50 seat flying with the inherently poor operating economics. Not many people can argue that point - including the folks at Indy Air......

You certinaly won't find CRJs operating on routes populated by LCCs like they have been over the last few years. They will only work on those hub-connector routes with no competition (e.g., Salt Lake City to Pasco or Bozeman).

Latest resources

Back