• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

E-190s at AWA/US Mainline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about all the mainline guys that took jobs with any of the majors in the past that paid less 30K for the 1st yr. It is a choice you must make. Look at Continental yr 1 pay today. Every single pilot at a major today made that sacrifice and some probally more than once. Why should the regional guys today not have to do the same. If you don't want to give up your senority to go junior on a new list or take the pay cut fine, then stay at the regional level. Just stop bitching about not getting bigger and bigger planes.

Spinplate said:
CHQ does pay more in the long run than JetBlue does. I think after year 7 or 8 it surpasses JetBlues payscale. check it! http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/

year 12 ooops! Its pretty much the same!

Cant wait to work for JetBlue, they compare their pay scale to the regional airline that everyone calls the undercutters of the regionals. AHHH yes thats why I went to college, to fly a big jet for less money than a tow truck driver.

Fly4hire said:
Why is it OK that we have been losing jobs for years to SJ/RJ flying, with you literally having a job at our expense, with thousands on the street, yet you cry like a 2 year old at the proposition of these jobs becoming mainline positions?

I can just imagine the wailing if any Regionals actually start furloughing or expeirencing the back sliding that's gone on for years now at the mainlines.

Personally I think we sooner we recapture this flying and get everyone on the same list the sooner we stop the whipsawing and outsourcing raceto the bottom.

I guess it's only OK if it pains mainline careers, it that it?

Your a little off here dude. Regionals have furloughed, hundreds in fact. My company (XJT) furloughed almost 500 guys to make room for mainline pilots coming back. I was a Captain on Sept. 11th. I gave 3.5 yrs of time in the left seat and the pay that goes along with it for mainline pilots. I've got no beef with that anymore but your assertion that things have been fantastic at the regional level in simply wrong and you should really know better.

There has been pleny of $hit to go around, granted not all RJ operators have felt the same pain. I can tell you that the folks who had flow thru agreements prior to 9-11 (XJT, AE) have given plenty.

In any rate, I'm glad the larger a/c are going to mainline. More opportunity for me. Adios.

Last edited:
Joe Merchant,

You had me at hello, but your post on this thread has me turning the volume down.......real low.

It seems you are personally pissed at ALPA. Being a volunteer is one way to get a great understanding of how the organization works. Just like jets, it has limitations and pilots have expectations. Were you sleeping during the Leadership Conf.? Probably not....

All,

Lot's of pilots scratch thier heads and wonder why the mainline flying didn't include 50 seaters. Before any more is discussed here is an important bullet point...

Air Line Pilots DO NOT Run Airlines

What this means is... management gets to have operational control over thier company.

The Legacy carriers were determined to use vendors. After the Regional companies were contracted it wouldn't work to have mainline pilots show up to fly the airplanes. IOW, picture your regional now conducting its operation but its pilots didn't work for your regional. The regional vendor has a right to maintian operation control. Can it do so with pilots who aren't employed by the regional? How would training be done?

Guys, this whole issue is incredibly complex. The solutions aren't as easy as "they should just fix it" or "ALPA National sucks."

The pilots with the quick fix FlightInfo message boards solutions offer, if EVER!, non-pragmatic solutions that don't grasps the cause and effect. Remember, you fly jets really well, but when it comes down to solving multi faceted problems with several players at the table, each of whom are looking out for thier own interests, it takes experience, maturity, patience, social skills and yes, politics. Something 95% of pilots (people in general really) don't have.....

So, instead of jumping up and down like a howling screech monkey in a zoo, why not get educated and informed. Then you can properly address your representatives on your issues. Now they are the ones who are armed with your informed concerns and they can address the multi faceted issues with several players.....

Isn't that better than creating expectations based on your own assumptions and being pissed off, fustrated and disenfranchised?

Last edited:
Just heard from our CEO that while USA/AWA ALPA has captured the E-190 90 seat flying, they are allowing the CRJ-900 90 seat flying to go out for bid. My question is: What's the difference? Why is everyone so hot to keep 190 flying but perfectly willing to give up 90 seat CRJ flying?

hoover said:
Just heard from our CEO that while USA/AWA ALPA has captured the E-190 90 seat flying, they are allowing the CRJ-900 90 seat flying to go out for bid. My question is: What's the difference? Why is everyone so hot to keep 190 flying but perfectly willing to give up 90 seat CRJ flying?

Hoover -

That's a good question, and how the airline chooses to build the fleet will be interesting.

From a passenger standpoint, there's almost no comparison. The E170 vs. the CRJ700 is hardly a contest, as a CRJ full of 70 adults is extreemly tight. If they happen to be a group of large adults (wieghtwatchers) then just forget it for anything other than about 45 minutes.

The E-Jets are at the other end of the spectrum, so comfortable in fact that lots of pax prefer them to larger jets like the A320 and 737.

I know a lot of people think that airlines don't give a crap about passenger comfort, but I've always thought statements like that are a bit naive. I think someone is looking after that stuff, and that the E190s will be used in special markets.

Why pilots seem to care more about that flying is curious, but I think they see a future with lots more E190s in it than CRJ900s.

hoover said:
Why is everyone so hot to keep 190 flying but perfectly willing to give up 90 seat CRJ flying?

I don't think it is so much that everyone is willing to give up 90 seat CRJ flying, more that that horse has already escaped the barn. For the reasons stated above regarding pax comfort and preference, I think the E-190 will eventually be the hot property. Ultimately, economics will dictate whether the CRJ-900 or E-190 rule the <100 seat market, and that will include issues of pax preference, crew costs, and overall seat cost.

Latest resources

Back