E-190s at AWA/US Mainline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SUNDOWN said:
About the 190 payrate at B6 it is not great but ........time and half over 70, nuff said. Total compensation puts CHQ back in it's place, a regional. I am also very disapointed at all of the pilots we've had leave the property to go to CHQ and Republic, shame on you.

?????????

Swaayze said:
I seriously doubt anyone will ever see a 190 at USAirways.....with the ability to fly (85? - I've lost track) 170's at Republic and 93 CRJ900's at (Mesa, PSA, AWAC) Express they will be set. Minimum fleet count at mainline will be in the 370 range I think so they have the ability to outsource an additional 50% of the airframes they want (not to mention all the 50 seaters they want). Mgmt continues to amaze me with their stupidity - why in the world would you want to dump the 170s and virtually guarantee the use of CRJ900s instead of the superior product of the 190?

I agree with you. Some additional thoughts:

The MDA/REP deal isn't out of the woods yet. If the truely intend on operating the 190 maybe this whole thing won't go through (hide behind a court battle).

on the flip side.......

Airbus and the Canadians both seem to be pretty good at offering some pretty sweet financing deals so why not........

Dump the 170's and give them to Republic who can probably operate them cheaper. Order more A-319's from Airbus ( I believe they are some type of investor in this whole game) instead of 190's. Then take advantage of clearance prices on the 900's. An added bonus....with additional A-319's they can operate even more 900's, with 190's they cannot.

In the end. Mainline gets more "true mainline aircraft" and management gets the freedom to keep adding CRJ's above 93.

Piker

This is a quote from the filing:

The US Airways and America West collective bargaining agreements will be
modified to allow for a combined maximum of ninety-three (93) CRJ-900, or other aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits specified in Paragraph B above, to be operated in revenue service at any given time at Express Carriers except that for every two (2) aircraft in excess of the combined 360 aircraft (excluding EMB 190 aircraft) operated at both US Airways and America West, that are added to revenue service in the mainline fleet, the Company may allow three (3) additional CRJ-900, or other aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits specified in Paragraph B above, to be operated in revenue service at Express carriers.

The math I believe is this to honor AWA scope:

38 current CRJ900 operated by Mesa (In AWA scope)
27 E170 are/or will be operated by Republic (not in AWA scope)

65 total current A/C

28 more A/C to be delivered that stay below 88 seats/90,000lbs

93 total in new TA'd AWA/US scope

Last edited:
Lampshade said:
This is a quote from the filing:

The US Airways and America West collective bargaining agreements will be
modified to allow for a combined maximum of ninety-three (93) CRJ-900, or other aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits specified in Paragraph B above

Lampshade said:
The math I believe is this to honor AWA scope:

38 current CRJ900 operated by Mesa (In AWA scope)
27 E170 are/or will be operated by Republic (not in AWA scope)

65 total current A/C

28 more A/C to be delivered that stay below 88 seats/90,000lbs

93 total in new TA'd AWA/US scope

I see what you are catching, 28 more 900's sounds familiar to the RFP that was put out awhile back, but then again that was prior to these lastest developments. I'm curious.......

All paragragh B says is a maximum seating of 88 seats and/or max weight up to 90,000lbs. If you are going to add the 170's to this number why not PSA's 700's or all of Mesa, CHQ's, TSA's, and ZW's 50 seaters.

I'm probably missing something.

Last edited:
The AWA pilot contract has limited the number of Express planes with seating for 71 or more to 38. 70 seats and below not included.

Lampshade said:
The AWA pilot contract has limited the number of Express planes with seating for 71 or more to 38. 70 seats and below not included.

I might be wrong but I read the transition agreement and I think that it supercedes the AWA agreement.

B. Section 1.D.2 of the America West collective bargaining agreement will be modified to increase the maximum seating capacity of jet aircraft flown by Express carriers to a maximum seating capacity of 88 seats (or up to 90 seats if there are no first class seats) and/or certificated maximum take off weight of up to 90,000 pounds.
C. The US Airways and America West collective bargaining agreements will be modified to allow for a combined maximum of ninety-three (93) CRJ-900, or other aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits specified in Paragraph B above, to be operated in revenue service at any given time at Express Carriers except that for every two (2) aircraft in excess of the combined 360 aircraft (excluding EMB 190 aircraft) operated at both US Airways and America West, that are added to revenue service in the mainline fleet, the Company may allow three (3) additional CRJ-900, or other aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits specified in Paragraph B above, to be operated in revenue service at Express carriers.

AWA scope is about 10 pages long it won't be replaced with what was in that TA alone, just modified.

Last edited:
Thanks Lampshade, that's a little better....but why not just cap it where they are today? They just keep on giving.

Latest resources

Back