E-190s at AWA/US Mainline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bigbeerbelly said:
I think this is a bit overkill. I am however in full support of an industry wide payscale determined by aircraft type. For example CRJ CA year 1=$65/hr to year 12=$100. The race to the bottom has to end and as long as airlines can whipsaw work groups against eachother it will continue. Does anyone know why ALPA has not explored this yet. It seems to work great for the plumbing profession.

BBB

Great in theory, but ALPA Nat'l cannot collectively bargain against every airline in the U.S. at once. Each airline has different circumstances, which will inevitably create different pay scales, benefit's etc. For example, look at what United pilot's made in the year 2000, versus what they make now. For a carrier in deep financial trouble, (NWA is a prime example) unions are obviously going to be a little more giving at the negotiating table to ensure the airline's success, while a carrier like SWA is posting profit's, and giving labor pay raises. Here lies the biggest problem. Circumstances will vary from carrier to carrier, and from year to year. In a stable environment (regulation?), the idea of an across the board payscale would be possible, but not in todays airline industry. Airlines, and union's need flexibility when it comes to negotiations. The only option we, as pilot's have, is to elect people we trust and respect to our MEC, and to vote for what we feel is fair.

smokey999 said:
True, but the whole point of a lot of this thread is that at JB you can move over to the Airbus and top out at 139/hr. The most you'll ever make at CHQ is 104. (not to mention stock options and better bennies at JB)

In the "long run" you'll do much much better at JB.

While I agree with E-190 at the mainline theory......What about the regional guy who has put in his time in a t-prop/RJ, with crappy pay and crappy schedules. It is now time for him to move on so he can further his career he wants a mainline job with mainline PAY. He will have to take a subsantial pay cut to start over at JB with those pay rates and then wait another 10yrs to make any kind of money. I don't know, but all of the guys and gals at the regionals are not 20 yrs old and can't take forever or take the pay cut for that long. I know that usually going from Capt pay at a regional to a mainline carrier can be a pay cut for the first year or two, but that is about it. Now with these pay rates it could take forever before you recoup your costs.

So I guess my gripe is with the pay rate. It is just perpetuating the problem that everyone in this thread is complaining about. The regional guy will just want to stay where he is and try to make life better and if that means taking mainline fly, planes etc. so be it. I don't agree, but that is the way I am seeing it right now it won't change a thing.

smokey999 said:
True, but the whole point of a lot of this thread is that at JB you can move over to the Airbus and top out at 139/hr. The most you'll ever make at CHQ is 104. (not to mention stock options and better bennies at JB)

In the "long run" you'll do much much better at JB.

I just wanted to clarify that the highest pay rate at CHQ/Republic is $120/hour. Don't forget, the contract has a new pay scale every year till 2007. The rates on airlinepilotcentral are 2004 rates.

Last edited:
FlyinScotsman said:
While I agree with E-190 at the mainline theory......What about the regional guy who has put in his time in a t-prop/RJ, with crappy pay and crappy schedules. It is now time for him to move on so he can further his career he wants a mainline job with mainline PAY. He will have to take a subsantial pay cut to start over at JB with those pay rates and then wait another 10yrs to make any kind of money. I don't know, but all of the guys and gals at the regionals are not 20 yrs old and can't take forever or take the pay cut for that long. I know that usually going from Capt pay at a regional to a mainline carrier can be a pay cut for the first year or two, but that is about it. Now with these pay rates it could take forever before you recoup your costs.
Starting at ML on the 170/190 you have somewhere to go up to. Once you're on that plane at a regional you're done. It's all about progression and I'd rather have an opportunity to progress at ML FROM a midsize jet, not at a regional TO a midsize jet.

Well it's good that we got the 190 despite the terrible payrates. However we gave up the farm when it comes to crj 900's at express. They can now operate 95 of the things at express and for every 2 airplanes we buy at mainline they can operate 3 more 900's. what is the incentive for management to even buy 190's when they can operate a large fleet of 900's at Mesa prices?

That was most likely the idea from the get go.

Management: "yeah, mainline can fly the 190 for the rate you request.
The 190 will stay at mainline. For that, we need you to
let Mesa fly more CRJ900's."

Mainline Pilot MEC: "Ok, great. If 190's stay at mailine and you can do
what you want with the CRJ900's."

Management: (Thinking to themselves after the oneway meeting)
"those idiots. We only had options on those stupid 190's.
We had no intention on exercising those options. Get
Mesa on the horn and have tell them that we want
them to fly 50 more."

Green:

That is the reason why scope has to be inclusive. Mainline might have bought a phantom jet, after all, the CASM is slightly lower on the XXL CRJ.

I simply do not understand why ALPA continues to promote the creation of alter ego low cost carriers within a brand. Obviously the US Air pilots low balled the E190 rates to "recapture" that airplane at mainline. Will the Delta pilots do the same, undercutting ASA's nearly 7 year old contract to keep airplanes from going to connection? Then who is next?

The race for the bottom started with ALPA's apartied system of separating pilots into preferred and non preferred carriers. Time for things to change.

~~~^~~~

Those idiots at Alpa need to attend focus training. The re-education that they recieved from Pol Pot is outdated and detrimental to our current profession. Alpa needs revamping and/or purging of the present money grubbing fools.

Latest resources

Back