• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't hold your breath for a pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that there will always be someone up front, but they will not be a pilot in the traditional sense of the word.

When the data uplink fails, the airborne Qwiky-Mart Worker in Epaulettes will engage the emergency landing button located under the single switch guard on the overhead.

Perhaps they will give him a window to look out of and a coffee maker.

Maybe a tiller and a travel-limited thrust lever to taxi into tight areas.

My suspicion is that we will have an airborne "manager" aboard aircraft that will be be there for the public relations benefit. This will help tamp down public hysteria over unmanned planes raining down on us "when the computer fails".

This individual will have no CA authority. They will be more like a jumpseater - able to take over if the CA (data uplink) and FO (onboard redundancy) dropped dead.

Think "security night guard" and you have an idea of how pleasant the job would be.

Just imagine a "tech engineer" operating UAV 777's around the globe from the comfort of a control center in Memphis. Mngt's dream, no duty times, no fatigue issues, not paying pilots...think of all the hazmat rules that wouldn't apply...

The tech engineer works an 8 hour shift, operating 10-15 flights at once from cruise. Logs into the aircraft through a simulator and lands it. All data link. Who cares if one crashes in a non-populated area?

When his shift is over, he briefs the replacement and goes home to his wife and kids.

the A-380 already follows a TCAS RA without pilot input.

15-20 years, you see

When I see locomotive trains crossing the country without railroad engineers, I may start to get concerned. I think pilot-less UAV type airplanes are in the future but further out than 20 years.

When I see locomotive trains crossing the country without railroad engineers, I may start to get concerned. I think pilot-less UAV type airplanes are in the future but further out than 20 years.

Remote control trains have been in operation for over 10 years. With Positive Train Control being implemented crewless through freights are a lot closer than you think.

Remote control trains have been in operation for over 10 years. With Positive Train Control being implemented crewless through freights are a lot closer than you think.

If the computer controlling a remote control train fails in any ways what happens? The train slows to a halt on the tracks. What happens if there is a failure at 35k feet? It'll be a long time before no one is up front in an airplane.

I agree that taking the long view, eventually there will be pilotless commercial operations. Not soon though. What I am worried about, though, is single pilot ops with an emergency 'on the ground' backup (uplink to the AP from dispatch to monitor an autoland, for example-- in case the single pilot croaks). That could happen at any time, in terms of the technology, and soon enough generally.

Aviation went from 4 crew cockpits after wwii, to 3 crew to 2 crew in the 80s...

Aviation went from 4 crew cockpits after wwii, to 3 crew to 2 crew in the 80s...

C'mon airplanes have become even easier to fly, more reliable, more automation. Even that PUTZ Jennyleigh can fly one! Do you really think there is a need for a flt engineer in modern aircraft? :rolleyes:

I think that there will always be someone up front, but they will not be a pilot in the traditional sense of the word.

When the data uplink fails, the airborne Qwiky-Mart Worker in Epaulettes will engage the emergency landing button located under the single switch guard on the overhead.

Perhaps they will give him a window to look out of and a coffee maker.

Maybe a tiller and a travel-limited thrust lever to taxi into tight areas.

My suspicion is that we will have an airborne "manager" aboard aircraft that will be be there for the public relations benefit. This will help tamp down publichysteria over unmanned planes raining down on us "when the computer fails".

This individual will have no CA authority. They will be more like a jumpseater - able to take over if the CA (data uplink) and FO (onboard redundancy) dropped dead.

Think "security night guard" and you have an idea of how pleasant the job would be.

My suspicion is that the pax will say, "I'm a little concerned about not having a pilot on board, but my ticket was $5 cheaper..."

If the computer controlling a remote control train fails in any ways what happens? The train slows to a halt on the tracks. What happens if there is a failure at 35k feet? It'll be a long time before no one is up front in an airplane.

That darned 3rd dimension....

Latest resources

Back