• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't hold your breath for a pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been a doubter of the pilot shortage for a while now, (previous posts.) After UAL was thinking about going to a 'name only' operation 4 years ago, im a believer that anything is possible. And dont come back with scope cuz we all know that's a joke. It may take 7 to 10 years but 100 seat RJ's are going to be a reality for domestic operations. The only other way out would be something like Delta buying Pinnacle or United buying Skywest. That could change things but pay rates would still be around $100/ hr for 70 seat captains with 15 years.
Labor is a huge cost for the legacy airlines. The more they can dump either by RFP's or pro-rate bidding, I think they will do it. If im wrong fine but i think i know how this movie will end. Lots of retirements but they will only be replaced at a rate of 1 to 2 (at best!)
My opinion only.....SG

Lots of retirements but they will only be replaced at a rate of 1 to 2 (at best!)
My opinion only.....SG

Ive been saying it for YEARS. Ignorance however, is littered in epic proportions in pilot mindset. Find a new dream and set new standards. Retirement booms are snake oil.......

I think your right. You lost me on pilotless cargo planes tho.

Just imagine a "tech engineer" operating UAV 777's around the globe from the comfort of a control center in Memphis. Mngt's dream, no duty times, no fatigue issues, not paying pilots...think of all the hazmat rules that wouldn't apply...

The tech engineer works an 8 hour shift, operating 10-15 flights at once from cruise. Logs into the aircraft through a simulator and lands it. All data link. Who cares if one crashes in a non-populated area?

When his shift is over, he briefs the replacement and goes home to his wife and kids.

the A-380 already follows a TCAS RA without pilot input.

15-20 years, you see

Cargo company's are still flying 727's an dc-10's. I'm still waiting for the flying car and I'm still doing Jepp revisions twice a month. Probably 30+ years out....

Yep, it's very important if I spell check on a message board, because that sets the tone for the rest of my life. I'll keep that in mind.

I am not sure how many times this has to be gone over, but using proper spelling and grammar on a forum will gain you more respect for your opinions and what you are trying to say. Is it the end of the world if something is spelled wrong? No. Proper spelling just shows that you are educated and you care about what you are trying to say. Go ahead and pick out some bad grammar in this post if ya like!! I am sure it is there. ;)

Cargo company's are still flying 727's an dc-10's. I'm still waiting for the flying car and I'm still doing Jepp revisions twice a month. Probably 30+ years out....

Not that this is a good scenario either, but they will probably go to single pilot ops well before they go pilotless. How long did it take to go down from 3 pilots to 2?

Not that this is a good scenario either, but they will probably go to single pilot ops well before they go pilotless. How long did it take to go down from 3 pilots to 2?
I agree, and there are some people that due to lack of social skills are meant to fly by themselves:D

Latest resources

Back