• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't Become An Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I tried to opine my concern for our profession, and was insulted on several occasions. It is a disgrace when bank tellers, waiters, ILLIGAL IMMIGRANTS WHO DON'T PAY TAXES, are earning more than pilots. We are educated and have much responsibility, and should not be exploited, or traded as some commodity by some hedge fund. (referring to mergers) It is time that we start understanding and demanding our true value!

E. K. Gann 1939

I tried to opine my concern for our profession, and was insulted on several occasions. It is a disgrace when bank tellers, waiters, ILLIGAL IMMIGRANTS WHO DON'T PAY TAXES, are earning more than pilots. We are educated and have much responsibility, and should not be exploited, or traded as some commodity by some hedge fund. (referring to mergers) It is time that we start understanding and demanding our true value!
Gann worked for AAL in 1939, could not live on F/O' wages, seniority system punished him because he was a slave to numbers, and when bumped back to F/O from Captain the pay cut put a real hurt on him. It is amazing how things have changed over they last 70 years.

Seem like some folks here have no concept of standard of living in different parts of the country. If you are a victim of geography the salary at most major airlines puts you solidly in the middle class even if it is $80,000.

I make over $80,000 a year as a Corporate Pilot in the Northeast. I chose to live in NY because I don't want to commute and my company has a four hour report time. Here are some realities. Rents are around $3600-4000 per month for a two bedroom (I have a child) so we elected to get a house. A similar house to the last one I had which I paid $225,000 is $650,000 so I had to downsize. Taxes are nearly $13,000 a year. My mortgage and taxes run nearly $4500 per month. Homes in the better school district are close to a million so we send our kid to a private school which is another $400 per month. I have already spent well over half my monthly paycheck for a modest home and a decent school. Making $80,000 in the Northeast means I actually have a slightly lower standard of living than I did when I worked in the Midwest and made much less.

Sure I may make more than 77% of the country, but I probably pay more for housing and taxes than 90% of the country. Companies that have domociles in NY like FedEx, Jet Blue, American, NetJets, and Kalitta who may seemingly pay these extravagant wages are really affording their pilots the same standard of living as someone getting $40,000 in Wisconsin.

What about companies like Comair, Eagle and Colgan that have bases in NY but the take home home pay is less than what I pay in taxes on my house. Is it right that these guys should live six or seven to a one bedroom apartment yet their airlines frown on commuting and want professional college graduates to fly their planes. Middle bunk with some dudes feet in you face sure takes the fun out of being a pilot.

The real trick is to get based in Memphis and make FedEx wages but not everyone can get the same domocile or for that matter a job in an area with a low cost of living.

Anyone thinking N606L should be saving $30,000 a year and driving a Corvette should see how far you have to stretch $80,000 if you have a family and live in New York, Seattle, Miami, or Boston, LA, San Fran, or San Diego. Sorry we can't all find jobs in Dallas, Detroit, or Memphis or we don't all want to commute 12 hours. Some of you guys have attitudes that suck and are helping to keep our wages in the gutter and being treated like hired help.

Belleville is great! 1700 sq ft house payments of $830/mo, taxes $1400/yr. 80K goes a long way. We have new hires buying new homes on first year pay. Live 10 minutes from work on an acre of land. Fayetteville, NC was even better, and we have pilot lives in ND bought a house cash for $6500.

How long will you be at USA Jet before you make $80,000? I would imagine several years. So if the average guy is making $50,000 it about evens out.

Detroit also has the worst housing market in the country. What happens if the housing market stays like it is around Detroit? Your house may be worth less in five years than it is now.

My post was really directed at folks like "Snapshot" and "Siucavflight" who seem to have no concept of what things really cost in relation to where you live. Just wanted to give those boys an education before they take a $100,000 a year job thinking they will be buying a mansion and an Escalade and they wind up having to live on Long Island or in San Diego where all they will be able to afford a 1400 sq ft. home and a Honda Civic.

Well I got to go wax my two Corvettes, talk to you later.

USA Jet Stats

Average USA Jet pilot has been there 5.1 years, makes a company average of $60K, this includes F/O's who have been there an average of 2.6 years and make $41K/yr. Average Captain has been there 7.2 years and makes a company average of $90K, this includes both DA-20 and DC-9. BTW 1982 was much worse than what we see now, just every pilot in my reserve unit had either lost their job or was bumped backwards in seats

Last edited:
Seem like some folks here have no concept of standard of living in different parts of the country. If you are a victim of geography the salary at most major airlines puts you solidly in the middle class even if it is $80,000.

I make over $80,000 a year as a Corporate Pilot in the Northeast. I chose to live in NY because I don't want to commute and my company has a four hour report time. Here are some realities. Rents are around $3600-4000 per month for a two bedroom (I have a child) so we elected to get a house. A similar house to the last one I had which I paid $225,000 is $650,000 so I had to downsize. Taxes are nearly $13,000 a year. My mortgage and taxes run nearly $4500 per month. Homes in the better school district are close to a million so we send our kid to a private school which is another $400 per month. I have already spent well over half my monthly paycheck for a modest home and a decent school. Making $80,000 in the Northeast means I actually have a slightly lower standard of living than I did when I worked in the Midwest and made much less.

Sure I may make more than 77% of the country, but I probably pay more for housing and taxes than 90% of the country. Companies that have domociles in NY like FedEx, Jet Blue, American, NetJets, and Kalitta who may seemingly pay these extravagant wages are really affording their pilots the same standard of living as someone getting $40,000 in Wisconsin.

What about companies like Comair, Eagle and Colgan that have bases in NY but the take home home pay is less than what I pay in taxes on my house. Is it right that these guys should live six or seven to a one bedroom apartment yet their airlines frown on commuting and want professional college graduates to fly their planes. Middle bunk with some dudes feet in you face sure takes the fun out of being a pilot.

The real trick is to get based in Memphis and make FedEx wages but not everyone can get the same domocile or for that matter a job in an area with a low cost of living.

Anyone thinking N606L should be saving $30,000 a year and driving a Corvette should see how far you have to stretch $80,000 if you have a family and live in New York, Seattle, Miami, or Boston, LA, San Fran, or San Diego. Sorry we can't all find jobs in Dallas, Detroit, or Memphis or we don't all want to commute 12 hours. Some of you guys have attitudes that suck and are helping to keep our wages in the gutter and being treated like hired help.

FDX has no domicile in NY...and i make over $250,000/yr living in MEM but needed a 2nd home in Longboat Key to get away from Lil detroit....i am moving to west Fl soon and getting out of MEM...the biggest thing i learned in my 38 yrs and 13 at FDX is live within your means...life is real good that way and you can be ready for anything in this unpredicatable business. Corvettes suck!

What I have learned

the biggest thing i learned in my 38 yrs and 13 at FDX is live within your means...
What I have learned in 30 years in this business and 11 jobs is live below your means because every job is temporary.

You may have heard of the RJ captain that had a plumber come to his house to repair a toilet. The charge was $240 for less than an hour of work on site. It was $80 per hour with one hour for the drive out, one hour for the work and one hour for the drive back. The pilot said that he only made $55 per flying hour, then commenting on all the expense and training he had to get his job. His point was that plumbers were paid way too much. The plumber then said that when he was an RJ captain he only got $45 and hour.

So the choice is yours, be the captain or the plumber. Glory or money.

In the future it may be that pilots only make school teacher wages. That doesn't seem to stop people from being school teachers, and teachers can become plumbers too if they so choose.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back