Don't Become An Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Undaunted Flyer,
What you said has nothing to do what I was talking about. Posters like "snapshot" were saying that if you made $80,000, and weren't able to put away a bunch of money and have a big home and a nice car you were living beyond your means. I was pointing out that $80,000 in NY will not afford you the same standard of living as $80,000 in TN.

On your point though, did you know plumbers get paid during their apprenticeship, and that no new teachers have to take $15,000 a year jobs or have to pay schools they work at to gain "teaching time"?

Why should I get out of aviation, wouldn't it be better to try and change things from the inside rather than accept things the way they are. I have run into too many pilots who think because someone makes $80,000 they have it made.

Please don't tell any pilot "if I don't like it, go do something else". Better yet if you are an airline pilot, and the union is trying to negotiate better pay go to your next union meeting and say "if you don't like the wages you should become a plumber".

Last edited:
Undaunted Flyer,
What you said has nothing to do what I was talking about. Posters like "snapshot" were saying that if you made $80,000, and weren't able to put away a bunch of money and have a big home and a nice car you were living beyond your means. I was pointing out that $80,000 in NY will not afford you the same standard of living as $80,000 in TN.

On your point though, did you know plumbers get paid during their apprenticeship, and that no new teachers have to take $15,000 a year jobs or have to pay schools they work at to gain "teaching time"?

Why should I get out of aviation, wouldn't it be better to try and change things from the inside rather than accept things the way they are. I have run into too many pilots who think because someone makes $80,000 they have it made.

Please don't tell any pilot "if I don't like it, go do something else". Better yet if you are an airline pilot, and the union is trying to negotiate better pay go to your next union meeting and say "if you don't like the wages you should become a plumber".

good stuff....

Teachers should complain

Undaunted Flyer,
no new teachers have to take $15,000 a year jobs or have to pay schools they work at to gain "teaching time"? .
No but 19 year old new hire pilot at USA Jet one year out of high school starts at more than a school teacher starts at after five years of paying for school and then student teaching for free. And after 10 ten years of teaching, a Masters Degree and 30 credits of additional continued learning the school teacher will make about $75K in Michigan, the 19 year old if he stay stays at USA Jet 10 years is making $100K. Should school teachers have web site to complain about how much non-college degreed pilots make?

Last edited:
Interesting thread. And nice responses.
Undunted, I tend to agree with you. However I do think that we should be getting paid based on how much responsibility we are taking on. My first year at Eagle, not including per-diem paid me 26,700 dollars. That is horrible. My second year only 39,000. Think about how many people place their lives into our hands every single day. And in the mean time a$$holes like Terrel Owens are making 10,000,000 a year to catch a round ball. This country is f-ed up.

Gov't employee

I could be mistaking, but I believe that a school teachers' pension was never for sale.
If you want a job with an untouchable pension, growing income and great benefits that are untouchable go to work for the gov't. I don't think it exisits anywhere else. But we chose to fly airplanes. BTW I have been doing this for 40+ years and it has been a fantasic adventure, I would change little. I have never had a company pay me the 100K per year yet, but I am coming into retirement in good shape with no company pension.

Last edited:
I guess as long as I have my health Ill be happy. Ive come to the conclusion Ill never make millions but as long as Im happy thats all that matters. And it just so happens to be the flying has kept me very happy even through all the rough times and bad days I know once I get in that plane its all forgotten about. I don't get paid to fly yet but I can tell you getting paid to fly is a joke there is many a days I would do it for free to add a paycheck no matter how small it is will make flying that much better to me. Right now the best thing I got going for me is flying and I hope I can enjoy it for the rest of my life.

Luck and timing vs skill and desire

that's too bad...don't you think you are worth it?
My luck and timing where not as fortunate as yours, so you have to take what you get. I am worth what my employer elects to pay me, if it is not adequate I go someplace else. I have turned down jobs and have left jobs because of pay. Since I do not have a lot of options at age 64, I am very content with my pay and how I am treated. I am happy, and lucky to be where I am today and that is more than I can for a lot of what I see on this site.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back