• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOJ stipulates Love Field gates auctioned only to LCC's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Was Southwest prohibited from starting an operation at DFW, or are they just stubborn?

Nope, not prohibited initially. Just wanted to use Love, as we were a small, point-to-point intrastate Texas carrier when we started, and using DFW wouldn't have worked for us. Now, we would have to give up a gate at Love field for each and any gate at DFW we used, due to the 2006 compromise agreement between us, American Airlines, and the cities.

Regardless, we still don't want to use DFW; it would hurt our operation. DFW is a huge "fortress" hub, for American's hub-and-spoke operation. During an American wave of departures, you can expect to be on the ground a 45 minutes or more between push and takeoff. With our continual-use operation at Love field (no "banks" of departures), you can push from a gate there, and generally be airborne within minutes. It's worlds more efficient for our type of operation.

Bubba

Was Southwest prohibited from starting an operation at DFW, or are they just stubborn?
A year later, a compromise was reached. It allowed Love flights to go anywhere in the U.S. after October 2014, but it also greatly reduced the risk to D/FW and American.....The deal essentially locked Southwest into Love. (It must give up gates to have service at D/FW, a condition that forced Southwest to drop AirTran?s D/FW routes after acquiring that competitor.)

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...fw-is-flying-high-wright-amendment-or-not.ece

This most likely will be the rationale (as already stated by Kelly) SWA will use to lobby that they should be allowed to bid on the 2 gates being auctioned at Love.

So you are taking the bet?

A month off if you're wrong?

What's funny is this is the equivalent of a $5 bet for any other normal person

I've done it and I'm the second biggest troll on here-
Yet for you it's a heroine you can't live a week without...

You'd start to get respect if you took and honored a bet like this

Man alive, you really like to bet. Nah, I said we'll see, that is not certainty. And I say I start debate, not troll. Also, you seem to really take this seriously. I actually enjoy this board, and the debate. You sound like you are one beat away from a total heart attack. Don't die Wave! Even I don't want that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Username: Deltal1011man Real Name: Yo momma E-mail: Withheld Gender: Male Age: 21-25 Country:
us.gif
United States of America Location: Atlanta Georgia Occupation: being with your mom. HA! Interests: your mom. HA! Homepage: No info Other info: No info Joined Airliners.net: 8 years 4 months 22 days ago (September 19, 2005) Last post: 1 day 23 hours ago (February 10, 2014) Signature: yep. Respect Rating: 10 Total Nr of posts: 9000

Regardless, we still don't want to use DFW; it would hurt our operation. DFW is a huge "fortress" hub, for American's hub-and-spoke operation. During an American wave of departures, you can expect to be on the ground a 45 minutes or more between push and takeoff. With our continual-use operation at Love field (no "banks" of departures), you can push from a gate there, and generally be airborne within minutes. It's worlds more efficient for our type of operation.

Bubba
Except that SWA operates at LAX, PHX, PHL, BOS, DCA (upcoming),ATL, MIA, MSP, DTW and CLT so operating at a fortress hub doesn't seem to be intolerable.

So does SWA want to be protected from competition at Love, or given the freedom to not be restricted to Love?

Except that SWA operates at LAX, PHX, PHL, BOS, DCA (upcoming),ATL, MIA, MSP, DTW and CLT so operating at a fortress hub doesn't seem to be intolerable.

So does SWA want to be protected from competition at Love, or given the freedom to not be restricted to Love?

Somehow Spirit figured out how to gain a foothold at DFW. I have no doubt WN could too if they wanted.

Who's an LCC anymore? Checked tickets for my parents a while ago. LCC's were just as, if not more expensive.

That's the real irony. The true LCCs like Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier aren't interested in these gates/slots because they are too expensive.

That's the real irony. The true LCCs like Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier aren't interested in these gates/slots because they are too expensive.

Those three look for airports to pay them to start service. Paying for gates and slots would be the purview of the 'premium' LCCs VX, B6 and WN.

Sometimes you write good stuff!

So you are taking the bet?
You realize you're dealing with a child there, right?
A month off if you're wrong?
Ha! Never happen!

What's funny is this is the equivalent of a $5 bet for any other normal person
Again, $5 is a lot to the child Lee. It's probably 2 or 3 tricks at an ATL airport restroom!

I've done it and I'm the second biggest troll on here-
Yet for you it's a heroine you can't live a week without...
You got that right!:laugh:

You'd start to get respect if you took and honored a bet like this
Respect is something earned! With 19000+ posts, and nothing to offer but "mom insults," it'll never happen! Remember, you're dealing with some booger picking d0uche bag sitting in his parents basement, who gets all his info from blowing some male f/a based in ATL!

Latest resources

Back