DOJ stipulates Love Field gates auctioned only to LCC's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HowardBorden

I brought this up in another thread and I'd like to hear others opinions about what airlines they think will be allowed to bid in the Love Field gate auction.

As alleged in the Complaint, this merger would combine two of the four major 'legacy' carriers, leaving "New American," Delta, and United as the remaining major national network carriers.....In contrast to the legacy carriers, other carriers (hereinafter referred to as 'low-cost carriers' or 'LCCs'), such as Southwest Airlines ('Southwest'), JetBlue Airways ('JetBlue'), Virgin America, Frontier Airlines, and Spirit Airlines, have less extensive networks and tend to focus more heavily on lower fares and other value propositions.

The Divestiture of Gates at Other Key Airports

Section IV. of the Proposed Final Judgment requires that New American will transfer, consistent with the practices of the relevant airport authority, to another carrier or carriers approved by DOJ in its sole discretion, all rights and interests in two gates......The proposed Final Judgment also includes divestitures at Dallas Love Field, an airport near American's largest hub at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport ('DFW'). Gates at DFW are readily available, but Love Field, which is much closer to downtown Dallas, is highly gate-constrained. The divestitures will position a low-cost carrier to provide vigorous competition to the New American's nonstop and connecting service out of DFW.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f301600/301618.pdf

Cue in Genital's drivel in 3....2....1.....

I brought this up in another thread and I'd like to hear others opinions about what airlines they think will be allowed to bid in the Love Field gate auction.

As alleged in the Complaint, this merger would combine two of the four major 'legacy' carriers, leaving "New American," Delta, and United as the remaining major national network carriers.....In contrast to the legacy carriers, other carriers (hereinafter referred to as 'low-cost carriers' or 'LCCs'), such as Southwest Airlines ('Southwest'), JetBlue Airways ('JetBlue'), Virgin America, Frontier Airlines, and Spirit Airlines, have less extensive networks and tend to focus more heavily on lower fares and other value propositions.

The Divestiture of Gates at Other Key Airports

Section IV. of the Proposed Final Judgment requires that New American will transfer, consistent with the practices of the relevant airport authority, to another carrier or carriers approved by DOJ in its sole discretion, all rights and interests in two gates......The proposed Final Judgment also includes divestitures at Dallas Love Field, an airport near American's largest hub at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport ('DFW'). Gates at DFW are readily available, but Love Field, which is much closer to downtown Dallas, is highly gate-constrained. The divestitures will position a low-cost carrier to provide vigorous competition to the New American's nonstop and connecting service out of DFW.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f301600/301618.pdf

Question: what happens if no LCC wants the gates? Spirit already has a sizable base at DFW. JB may not want to move their very limited ops from DFW, and same with VA.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Funny, DL is already using some of those gates. I guess the Cornies bought a lot of pizzas this year.... Because we know they are the TRUE LCC....Nope. We'll see how many gates DL gets.

Hmmmm. Assistant Attorney General who said what? DL is currently using some of those gates. I doubt they would lose those, and seeing how many slots SWA got at DCA, I'd say there is a good chance to gain gates at DAL. We'll just have to see...

So, has the final decision been handed down yet? Wow Howie, you sure are certain, yet it hasn't been decided. Other LCCs may not want the gates. You never know....

Question: what happens if no LCC wants the gates?
My God, you simply have no ability to sit back and let a discussion ensue! You simply must show your all knowing wisdom. Well, you are just flat out wrong on this one. Your all knowing omnipresent intellect is flat out wrong. Delta will not gain ownership of the Love field gates. I have shown you exactly what the governing body concerned with the divestiture of the gates has said, and it has said Delta will not be allowed to bid on those gates.

Another LCC, as defined by the DOJ IS interested in those gates:
Southwest does desire the two Love Field gates that American Airlines must surrender as part of a U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit settlement. Kelly's argument: Southwest can't enter the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport market (without surrendering Love Field gates), and therefore Love Field is the only place in North Texas where it can grow.

I am prognosticating into the future and claiming you, with your superior industry knowledge, are flat out wrong; incorrect; erroneous; imprecise and inaccurate. Delta will NOT gain ownership of the gates being divested at Love field.

As a matter of fact I'm willing to place a wager with you and I will give you 2-1 odds. My assertion is that the two gates divested at Dallas Love will most certainly NOT be obtained by Delta Air Lines. If Delta does indeed obtain ownership of the Love gates I will refrain from posting on this sight for 2 months (60 days.) If Delta does not obtain the gates divested from Love field I will ask you to refrain from posting on this sight for 1 month (30 days.)

You have made it quite clear that your industry knowledge is unsurpassed, when you state that "I'd say there is a good chance to gain gates at DAL." , I unequivocally disagree and assert your premise is absolutely false and you are remarkably misinformed. Please accept this wager and prove me wrong!

Last edited:
Not the first time he's been wrong.
Song. Outsourcing. Etc-
Why feed a sellout?

Think we'll get the gates Howard?
That would be good news but I don't know all the love field restrictions once wright is gone- I understand there are still some

Not the first time he's been wrong.
Song. Outsourcing. Etc-
Why feed a sellout?

Think we'll get the gates Howard?
That would be good news but I don't know all the love field restrictions once wright is gone- I understand there are still some
Actually I don't know who will get the gates, but the DOJ has been quite clear that a legacy carrier will not obtain those gates. Glee is bound and determined to assert his opinion that Delta is in the running which I say is utter crap. I could be wrong and I have given the General ample opportunity to shut me up for 2 month's if Delta receives the gates but that will necessitate him to comply with radio silence for a month if he is wrong, I can't see him agreeing to the wager.

Last edited:
Actually I don't know who will get the gates, but the DOJ has been quite clear that a legacy carrier will not obtain those gates. Glee is bound and determined to assert his opinion that Delta is in the running which I say is utter crap. I could be wrong and I have given the General ample opportunity to shut me up for 2 month's if Delta receives the gates but that will necessitate him to comply with radio silence for a month if he is wrong, I can't see him agreeing to the wager.

You sure seem certain, and now you admit you're not. I just said it isn't over yet, and the DOj likes to change it's mind.... We'll see Howie....

Bye Bye--- General Lee

PS--Wave, PFT hurts the industry, and college helps

Last edited:
What if the DOJ decides they would rather see New Entrants rather than merely LCCs at whatever airport they deem to have control over?

I said it a long time ago. Southwest, who already controls 95% of Love, will get these gates.

Only fair, after having that Wright amendment rammed down their throat for so many years.

Latest resources

Back