Does JetBlue have career FO's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MRYFLYER said:
We have been using PDC for well over 15 years at ORD. At 8 years ago the 727's all had the newer touch screen ACARS so that means the S/O was the person getting the clearance from the box and not a radio. So as they say on Mythbusters.....Busted!

Nope, it was FO...he couldnt do it. Period.

koko nw said:
[
I really wouldnt say that UAL has the most experienced pilots out there based on the above.

Please tell me your kidding? You actually think people believe your jumpseat "stories' and it some how validates your thesis above?[/quote]

You can believe it or not, makes zero difference to me.

Tell me there koo koo, what other major US airline had 250TT required time on their app and hired a lot of just recip types? Why is it that so many other airlines required 1000 PIC turbine time?

Fact is, like I said, ofcourse you guys have plenty of experienced guys....throw in some of the college and low time wonders in that total, and now you dont have "the most experienced" guys/gals out there. Simple as that. I do admire your attempts to back up the inexperienced you have....but it doesnt work. Try again.

Guitar rocker said:
Tell me there koo koo, what other major US airline had 250TT required time on their app and hired a lot of just recip types? .

You seem to be an expert on UAL hiring, could you please tell us what the average age and experience was of a UAL new hire? Pick whatever year you have the data on that. Also how many 250TT pilots did UAL hire in the 1990s and how many total pilots did UAL hire during that time frame? How many pilots are on the UAL senioroty list, how many are white males, African Americans, Hispanic or women?

MRYFLYER said:
We have been using PDC for well over 15 years at ORD. At 8 years ago the 727's all had the newer touch screen ACARS so that means the S/O was the person getting the clearance from the box and not a radio. So as they say on Mythbusters.....Busted!

Well, not to defend Guitar, because I don't know what he did or did not see. But he did say ORF to ORD, so it's quite possible that 8 yrs ago you couldn't pick up a PDC in ORF (not ORD). There's still a number of airports where that's still the case and you have to do it the old fashioned way. So, not busted.

Blue Dude said:
Well, not to defend Guitar, because I don't know what he did or did not see. But he did say ORF to ORD, so it's quite possible that 8 yrs ago you couldn't pick up a PDC in ORF (not ORD). There's still a number of airports where that's still the case and you have to do it the old fashioned way. So, not busted.

I read his post as ORD ORF. In any event I highly doubt his J/S version. However, I do have a question for him. With such an event occuring prior to pushback would it not have been proper for him to remove himself from such a dangerous flight? Also, it sounds as if GT has since this experience set foot onboard a UAL flight. Appears he is taking his life in his hands by doing so according to his version of the facts.

We all have people with accents. I have heard "Comb-Air" just recently, various versions of english and some really Pi$$ Poor southern "Annnnglish" by a LCC pilot in the past couple of weeks.

Even with the controversial hiring that now has most of those employees with 15 years seniority, UAL has been fortunate to not have had a hull loss from a crew issue in many many years. Have there been near misses? Sure. But of the other carriers in our peer group we have excelled in saves versus hull loss. This is a stat that does not come easily when flying to diverse sections of the world with human factors playing a large role in long haul flying and the accident rates.

I hope GT does not have to endanger himself in the future with a seat of the pants flight on the good ol' U.

FDJ2 said:
You seem to be an expert on UAL hiring, could you please tell us what the average age and experience was of a UAL new hire? Pick whatever year you have the data on that. Also how many 250TT pilots did UAL hire in the 1990s and how many total pilots did UAL hire during that time frame? How many pilots are on the UAL senioroty list, how many are white males, African Americans, Hispanic or women?

No, no expert on your hiring at all. It doesnt matter if someone was African American or a woman that got hired with little time...it's just the fact that it happened and your airline allowed it to happen. Dont question me about the 250TT....that was YOUR deal, not mine.

As for how to break down your seniority list......you have it, why dont you look and tell us? All I can tell you is that everytime I reluctantly have to airline on UAL, I see plenty of those that were "more qualified" running around the terminals at ORD/DEN and some of your other destinations as well.

Last edited:
MRYFLYER said:
I read his post as ORD ORF. In any event I highly doubt his J/S version. However, I do have a question for him. With such an event occuring prior to pushback would it not have been proper for him to remove himself from such a dangerous flight? Also, it sounds as if GT has since this experience set foot onboard a UAL flight. Appears he is taking his life in his hands by doing so according to his version of the facts.

We all have people with accents. I have heard "Comb-Air" just recently, various versions of english and some really Pi$$ Poor southern "Annnnglish" by a LCC pilot in the past couple of weeks.

Even with the controversial hiring that now has most of those employees with 15 years seniority, UAL has been fortunate to not have had a hull loss from a crew issue in many many years. Have there been near misses? Sure. But of the other carriers in our peer group we have excelled in saves versus hull loss. This is a stat that does not come easily when flying to diverse sections of the world with human factors playing a large role in long haul flying and the accident rates.

I hope GT does not have to endanger himself in the future with a seat of the pants flight on the good ol' U.

It's not that I feel unsafe at all. But from a professional standpoint, one does have to wonder when we all hear poor english over the PA and over your ATC channel....I think there are some occasions when it might be best that your ATC channel is turned off as in the above case.

Remember, I wouldnt consider it dangerous if someone doesnt know how to pick up an IFR clearance from ORF - ORD (just to clarify for those who cant read it correctly) but at that level, wouldnt yah think that this would be a no-brainer? I mean, maybe it isnt, I dont know how your GOM reads. I'm sure that he's a pro at it by now.

MrFLYER, I wish that I would have recorded that event just for you and I would have proudly posted it right here.

Like I said, I am not bagging on the majority of people at UAL.....just the minority (no pun intended) and what happened there at Martin Luther King BLVD (where yah all did your hiring) and where so many good people who paid their dues got turned down to make way for the VERY less qualified....

Last edited:
Guitar rocker said:
No, no expert on your hiring at all. It doesnt matter if someone was African American or a woman that got hired with little time...it's just the fact that it happened and your airline allowed it to happen. Dont question me about the 250TT....that was YOUR deal, not mine.

Sorry Guitar Rocker, but I don't work at UAL, I was just questioning your knowledge of UAL hiring, since you seem to be so opinionated on the subject. Apparently you know very little about hiring at UAL, but you do like to shoot from the hip and opine without any real information.

FDJ2 said:
Sorry Guitar Rocker, but I don't work at UAL, I was just questioning your knowledge of UAL hiring, since you seem to be so opinionated on the subject. Apparently you know very little about hiring at UAL, but you do like to shoot from the hip and opine without any real information.

I simply know what the application called for. I know some folks who got hired at UAL with little time and likewise, know some others with plenty of time who got turned down.....as we probably all do. I would really like to know how an interviewer could justify their choice of candidate though....one with little time over so many with experience. If you cant see that, then you must be missing something up there.

Shall we change the title of this thread to "United hiring practices?" It doesn't have much to do with JetBlue at all.

Latest resources

Back