Dhl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOL.............now that was funny.

It's not fair to blame UPS for this. DHL wasn't "killed" by UPS, they died by their own hand. I doubt that new leadership would save them. New leadership 25 years ago, maybe, but not now. What's happening right now is the culmination of 2 decades worth of bad management and failure to invest in the business.

UPS and FedEx both lost billions before they ever turned a profit from their International operations. DHL, though larger than either of their competitors, is unwilling to spend that kind of money here to develop the domestic feed they need to support their International ops. They'll pay the price for that, eventually. But when it happens, it will have been their actions that brought them down, not UPS's.

That was my thinking as well, before the hearings revealed to me that UPS went to DHL with this "proposal". That does make it a UPS action and plan to eliminate the 8200 jobs. At first I thought DHL came up with this plan, but now we all know better that it was UPS that called up DHL and said "lets eliminate all your workers and pilots".

Last edited:
That was my thinking as well, before the hearings revealed to me that UPS went to DHL with this "proposal". That does make it a UPS action and plan to eliminate the 8200 jobs. At first I thought DHL came up with this plan, but now we all know better that it was UPS that called up DHL and said "lets eliminate all your workers and pilots".
Yessssss...but DHL was in talks with FedEx to do the very same thing well before UPS became involved. Wouldn't that make it a "FedEx proposal" as well?

I'm no fan of big business, UPS included. In my opinion, they're behavior and methods of operation are often reptilian at best. But reptiles don't kill for sport. Only a few species, (of which homo-sapiens are one), do. What would be gained by UPS' "eliminating" 8200 jobs? Nothing, really. In fact, they'd risk a lot of bad press, not to mention the loss of 8200 potential customers, their families, and friends. Sorry Shooter, but this isn't personal.

DHL is dying in the Americas. UPS is picking over the bones, seeing if there's anything there they can make use of. As it turns out, they anticipate having some open space on their planes at a time when the load factors hardly justify DHL operating their own. The biggest barrier to "outsourcing" that flying went out the window the instant Astar ratified their latest contract.

"Tell Mikey it was business, just business. Personally, I always liked the kid"

-Sal Tessio, going for his last ride

Yessssss...but DHL was in talks with FedEx to do the very same thing well before UPS became involved. Wouldn't that make it a "FedEx proposal" as well?

I'm no fan of big business, UPS included. In my opinion, they're behavior and methods of operation are often reptilian at best. But reptiles don't kill for sport. Only a few species, (of which homo-sapiens are one), do. What would be gained by UPS' "eliminating" 8200 jobs? Nothing, really. In fact, they'd risk a lot of bad press, not to mention the loss of 8200 potential customers, their families, and friends. Sorry Shooter, but this isn't personal.

DHL is dying in the Americas. UPS is picking over the bones, seeing if there's anything there they can make use of. As it turns out, they anticipate having some open space on their planes at a time when the load factors hardly justify DHL operating their own. The biggest barrier to "outsourcing" that flying went out the window the instant Astar ratified their latest contract.

"Tell Mikey it was business, just business. Personally, I always liked the kid"

-Sal Tessio, going for his last ride

I don't take it as a personal attack. But that does not change the effect if I had, now does it? The ONLY reason there is a standard severance package and an okay retention package is because of the political pressure and local uproar. Even so, these are minuscule offerings and a drop in the bucket that will be needed to rebuild the SW Ohio areas of impact. These are NOT offerings out of the goodness of DHL's heart. If they had their way they would do nothing but hand out the pink slips. :puke:

Last edited:
People keep saying 6000 - 8000 jobs will be lost in the ILN area. Let's not forget all the other SW Ohio businesses that this will effect. Hotels, resturants, retail and real estate. Home values will plumet. Business will go broke. My guess is the total jobs lost will be much, much, higher.

People keep saying 6000 - 8000 jobs will be lost in the ILN area. Let's not forget all the other SW Ohio businesses that this will effect. Hotels, resturants, retail and real estate. Home values will plumet. Business will go broke. My guess is the total jobs lost will be much, much, higher.

You're right. It depends on the what the topic is for the number affected. When you are talking about the air park jobs the total is 8200. With 6000 from ABX, 1200 Astar and 1000 DHL. When you total in the jobs from other companies that support them, the number jumps to close to 10,000 jobs. The figure when the economic impact hits the area has never been calculated because I don't think it can be measured. Once those businesses decline, you're right that it will be much much higher.

Last edited:
It depends on the what the topic is for the number affected. When you are talking about the air park jobs the total is 8200. With 6000 from ABX, 1200 Astar and 1000 DHL. When you total in the jobs from other companies that support them, the number jumps to close to 10,000 jobs. The figure when the economic impact hits the area has never been calculated because I don't think it can be measured. Once those businesses decline, you're right that it will be much much higher.
In all the press this thing seems to be generating locally, the one thing I haven't seen mentioned is how many of the jobs to be lost are part-time, and pay no benefits? I'm not discounting the affect this will have on the those affected. But a job lost at an auto plant or steel mill has far greater economic impact both to families and to the community than the loss of a "McJob" flipping burgers or sorting packages.

If you run the numbers on this, it might not be quite as bad as you think. For example, by the time DHL closes it's doors in Wilmington, there will be about 1,000 pilots left on the combined seniority lists of both carriers. If ABX retains 170, that leaves 830 without jobs. But most of them (80%?) don't maintain their primary residence in Clinton County. That would leave maybe 100-200 guys locally without jobs. Some will take early retirement, some will go on to other careers, and some will burn through their savings until the economy turns around and companies start hiring again. It'll be bad, but it's not time to start preparing the Kool-Aid.

Not yet, anyway.

With the economy in trouble all three integators, UPS, FedEx, and DHL, have seen daily package counts drop. UPS is off by -150,000 and FedEx by -90,000 every night. I have no info on the DHL numbers.
That being said, it shouldn't be a surprising for some of them to join forces to improve the bottom line.
The sad and hard truth is, they are in the business to make money for their shareholders and not to provide Pilots with good paying jobs. I find it somewhat funny, in a sad way, to suggest that UPS pilots should deny flying DHL freight to support DHL Pilots.

In all the press this thing seems to be generating locally, the one thing I haven't seen mentioned is how many of the jobs to be lost are part-time, and pay no benefits? I'm not discounting the affect this will have on the those affected. But a job lost at an auto plant or steel mill has far greater economic impact both to families and to the community than the loss of a "McJob" flipping burgers or sorting packages.

If you run the numbers on this, it might not be quite as bad as you think. For example, by the time DHL closes it's doors in Wilmington, there will be about 1,000 pilots left on the combined seniority lists of both carriers. If ABX retains 170, that leaves 830 without jobs. But most of them (80%?) don't maintain their primary residence in Clinton County. That would leave maybe 100-200 guys locally without jobs. Some will take early retirement, some will go on to other careers, and some will burn through their savings until the economy turns around and companies start hiring again. It'll be bad, but it's not time to start preparing the Kool-Aid.

Not yet, anyway.

By the time DHL closes it's doors in Wilmington? What is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that the impact will be less devastating if the job losses come over the period of a year rather than 3 months? Does your argument assume that the only jobs being lost are part-time sorter jobs and pilots without any regard to the other fine paying jobs that will be lost and comparing them to burger-flipping jobs?

Make no mistake that this will have a devastating impact to the area and no amount of misinformed rationalization will change those facts.

With the economy in trouble all three integators, UPS, FedEx, and DHL, have seen daily package counts drop. UPS is off by -150,000 and FedEx by -90,000 every night. I have no info on the DHL numbers.
That being said, it shouldn't be a surprising for some of them to join forces to improve the bottom line.
The sad and hard truth is, they are in the business to make money for their shareholders and not to provide Pilots with good paying jobs. I find it somewhat funny, in a sad way, to suggest that UPS pilots should deny flying DHL freight to support DHL Pilots.

Glad you found that funny because it was facetious. If you read the post I was replying to it had a nice little "why can't we all get along and support each other" remark. By the tone I assumed he was a UPS worker/pilot. And since UPS likes to boast they are community oriented and looks out for people, I found it interesting they are the ones that instigated the direct loss of 10,000 jobs. And that the effect of those job losses to the very small community will devastate the area. Thats not exactly the UPS they try to present themselves as. That is not the fault of the UPS worker, and I understand that. Don't confuse my ire of UPS management to be directed at the workers of UPS.

However with all of that being said, if the workers of UPS wanted to truly "get along and support each other" then why not offer preferential interviews for the workers UPS management found so easy to disregard?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back