• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dhl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That "stink that ALPA kicked up" was primarily the result of some Astar guys who, in a moment of stunned disbelief, demonstrated their insolence. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't sanctioned or supported by ALPA national. It was a dumb move for sure, but what effect it will have on future hiring, nobody knows. I had lunch with a couple of UPS guys recently, who told me privately (and off the record) that "they don't care if they (the Astar pilots) never find jobs in this business again." So I guess it would be something an Astar guy would want to distance himself from, if and when he does get an interview there.

Your "knowledge" is once again severely lacking.

Last edited:
Actually, it was sanctioned by ALPA. All expenses paid out of the national coffers. Prater also testified at both hearings. As an aside, out of Mullen's own mouth, he stated that UPS contacted DHL first about the idea of taking over the US air/sort ops. for DHL during the Transportation hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dylan
From my understanding, UPS cannot offer preferential interviews to ATSG or Astar employees, because then the lawmakers will claim that it is a quasi-merger.

I have heard the same thing, and from a lawyer, no less!

I don't really want a long drawn out conversation, but does anyone know how that would be a quasi-merger but they think what their plans are not a quasi-merger? Like I said, not a debate, not an argument, just a simple question of clarification on how preferential interviews are grounds for a merger argument.

I don't really want a long drawn out conversation, but does anyone know how that would be a quasi-merger but they think what their plans are not a quasi-merger? Like I said, not a debate, not an argument, just a simple question of clarification on how preferential interviews are grounds for a merger argument.
Once you "combine" workforces, it's pretty hard to argue that you haven't "combined" the work they do. I.E., the companies themselves. It's bad enough that they're providing an essential component of a service to a competitor. I doubt they'd want to provoke further inquiry into this deal by agreeing to hire their competitor's former employees to do the work.

Once you "combine" workforces, it's pretty hard to argue that you haven't "combined" the work they do. I.E., the companies themselves. It's bad enough that they're providing an essential component of a service to a competitor. I doubt they'd want to provoke further inquiry into this deal by agreeing to hire their competitor's former employees to do the work.

Why not would be my question. The employees in question are no longer working and seeking employment. Interesting how lawyers interpret things sometimes.

The question of the day, name all the air freight operations that have shut down in the last 20 years and the supplemental lift carriers that worked theml.

brown stuff

I have heard the same thing, and from a lawyer, no less!

I disagree. Other than the initial start-up of their air ops, UPS - the company - has never given preferential interviews to anybody for line-pilot positions. Part of the reason is that the hiring process there is pretty objective to begin with. If you have the right quals and fit the right demographic, AND they're hiring, you may get a call. If you don't (or they're not) they won't let their arm be twisted into hiring you. Once you get the call, of course, letters of reccommendation help. But it's HR that makes the final decision, not the union.

That "stink that ALPA kicked up" was primarily the result of some Astar guys who, in a moment of stunned disbelief, demonstrated their insolence. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't sanctioned or supported by ALPA national. It was a dumb move for sure, but what effect it will have on future hiring, nobody knows. I had lunch with a couple of UPS guys recently, who told me privately (and off the record) that "they don't care if they (the Astar pilots) never find jobs in this business again." So I guess it would be something an Astar guy would want to distance himself from, if and when he does get an interview there.

Give me a break! Where do you get your info.?

W.D., once again you show your ignorance.

There is a huge difference between granting interviews and combining a workforce. A job doesn't have to offered as a result of the interview. Also, it is not a one for one. Nobody would assume twelve hundred pilots would not only get an interview but be guarenteed a position, not to mention the other seven thousand that stand to be unemployed. If your lawyer couldn't fight that battle, you need a new lawyer.

The question of the day, name all the air freight operations that have shut down in the last 20 years and the supplemental lift carriers that worked theml.

Whew, thats a broad question. Kind of like the professor that says your exam is only one question, with 78 parts. A quick reply would be, not as many as passenger carriers.

Start by naming who flew for Purolator, CF, Emery, UPS, Flying Tigers, Airbourne, USPS, etc... Hubs that were shut down in Columbus, Indiannapolis, Cincinnati, Terre Haute, and various other cities.

Latest resources

Back