• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dhl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shooter, no one doubts the impact, all are empathic with the people from central Ohio. The base fact though is that my prayer list is getting awful long every night for those in storms of one kind or another. Haiti, Cuba, Turks and Caicos, Galveston, on and on. The world seems in a negative mode at the moment and chemo is not helping me deal with it. Nevertheless, this is not going to change the situtation. My mother used to say "this too will pass" I used to tell her it will quicker if we do something about it." It is time to move on.

It's for Polar. Until they move to ANC and SDF.

I know who it is for, I just find it odd. By late March, unless I am mistaken, their plans were to have the freight being sent to UPS hubs. And that would be totally done by later in the year. You would think they would just find a contractor to send there for the couple of months they would be in ILN. It just makes no sense to hire 5 people for a couple of months and call it a permanent full time position.

Shooter, no one doubts the impact, all are empathic with the people from central Ohio. The base fact though is that my prayer list is getting awful long every night for those in storms of one kind or another. Haiti, Cuba, Turks and Caicos, Galveston, on and on. The world seems in a negative mode at the moment and chemo is not helping me deal with it. Nevertheless, this is not going to change the situtation. My mother used to say "this too will pass" I used to tell her it will quicker if we do something about it." It is time to move on.

How can you say move on when the suffering has not even started to be felt? This will need to be dealt with for a very long time. This area will need help long after DHL is gone and that is the reason to start now. Like JFK once said, the time to fix the roof is when it's sunny outside. You can't wait until all of the people are homeless or wait until the schools are out of money. You have to start fixing the problems while the people are still in their homes and the schools still open.

By the time DHL closes it's doors in Wilmington? What is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that the impact will be less devastating if the job losses come over the period of a year rather than 3 months? Does your argument assume that the only jobs being lost are part-time sorter jobs and pilots without any regard to the other fine paying jobs that will be lost and comparing them to burger-flipping jobs?

Make no mistake that this will have a devastating impact to the area and no amount of misinformed rationalization will change those facts.
No, what I said was that some, indeterminate number of the jobs being lost are "McJobs"...low paying, part-time jobs that have no benefits to speak of. Those kinds of positions are typically filled by students, housewives, and people monlighting from their primary occupation. They are not a family's sole source of income. While losing that "job" may mean having to sell a boat or sports car or picking up more student debt, I doubt any of them will lose their farm over this.

(If anybody really wants to continue tossing boxes, UPS and FedEx are hiring constantly out of Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus, and there's a major truck terminal right down the road)

From an individual pilot's perspective, this WILL be catastrophic. But because most of them don't live here, the economic loss to Clinton county won't be that great.

The real bite to the community will come from the loss of the office, admin, and support jobs. Many of those people are heads of households, do reside in and around Wilmington, and do rely on the benefits provided by their respective employers. While office and admin jobs are pretty generic, Flight support people in particular are highly trained and somewhat specialized, which will make it difficult for them to find comparable work in the area. Hopefully, DPWN/DHL will be more than a little generous in helping those folks along in their relocation, or transition to another line of work should they so choose.

I am NOT trying to "change the facts" with "misinformed rationalization" What I AM doing is trying to figure out, without all the hype and hyperbole, how much of an effect this thing is really going to have on the community.

An acorn, quite possibly. But the sky? I don't think so.

Last edited:
No, what I said was that some, indeterminate number of the jobs being lost are "McJobs"...low paying, part-time jobs that have no benefits to speak of. Those kinds of positions are typically filled by students, housewives, and people monlighting from their primary occupation. They are not a family's sole source of income. While losing that "job" may mean having to sell a boat or sports car or picking up more student debt, I doubt any of them will lose their farm over this.

(If anybody really wants to continue tossing boxes, UPS and FedEx are hiring constantly out of Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus, and there's a major truck terminal right down the road)

From an individual pilot's perspective, this WILL be catastrophic. But because most of them don't live here, the economic loss to Clinton county won't be that great.

The real bite to the community will come from the loss of the office, admin, and support jobs. Many of those people are heads of households, do reside in and around Wilmington, and do rely on the benefits provided by their respective employers. While office and admin jobs are pretty generic, Flight support people in particular are highly trained and somewhat specialized, which will make it difficult for them to find comparable work in the area. Hopefully, DPWN/DHL will be more than a little generous in helping those folks along in their relocation, or transition to another line of work should they so choose.

I see. Some of the jobs are the part time jobs like you say. Those are gone for ever since they are part time. With gas at $4 a gallon, they will not be driving to Cincinnati, Dayton or Columbus for them.

I don't know who or what businesses the economic task force is trying to attract. With an airport, you would assume that would be the first industry to look at. And we all know too well the state of this industry. So some other industry would be more likely. And that is where trade adjustment assistance should come in to get the people in the area ready for whatever may come. But ILN workers do not qualify to get that since the jobs are not going over seas. It is a mess. But if everyone keeps working, maybe it could turn out to be alright. Time will tell, I am hoping for the best.

From my understanding, UPS cannot offer preferential interviews to ATSG or Astar employees, because then the lawmakers will claim that it is a quasi-merger.

I believe UPS would have given pref. interviews had it not been for the stink ALPA kicked up. JMHO.

From my understanding, UPS cannot offer preferential interviews to ATSG or Astar employees, because then the lawmakers will claim that it is a quasi-merger.

I believe UPS would have given pref. interviews had it not been for the stink ALPA kicked up. JMHO.

That would be utterly and totally wrong. We picketed after the request was made to UPS by the IPA and denied. Further, preferential interviews would have no bearing on the quasi-merger of DHL/UPS either way. To review, 1200 pilots, who knows how many mechanics, dispatchers, admin. personnel etc. out of a job, for a small handful of positions at UPS. Anyone in ILN would have better odds with a Powerball ticket than that.

I see. Some of the jobs are the part time jobs like you say. Those are gone for ever since they are part time. With gas at $4 a gallon, they will not be driving to Cincinnati, Dayton or Columbus for them.
As a point of interest, I'm not sure how many were driving from Cincinnati before. What I DO know is that the last time ABX was recruiting package sorters from the Cincy area, they were telling applicants that "bus transportation was available" I don't know if that was free, or what.

Also, I was wrong when I said that those P/T jobs didn't have benefits. Apparently, medical/dental/ vision and life insurance WAS a part of the offer. I'm not sure if it was included, or there was an upcharge for it, but it would change the demographic of those who worked there. Sorry if I misled.

I have heard the same thing, and from a lawyer, no less!

I disagree. Other than the initial start-up of their air ops, UPS - the company - has never given preferential interviews to anybody for line-pilot positions. Part of the reason is that the hiring process there is pretty objective to begin with. If you have the right quals and fit the right demographic, AND they're hiring, you may get a call. If you don't (or they're not) they won't let their arm be twisted into hiring you. Once you get the call, of course, letters of reccommendation help. But it's HR that makes the final decision, not the union.

That "stink that ALPA kicked up" was primarily the result of some Astar guys who, in a moment of stunned disbelief, demonstrated their insolence. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't sanctioned or supported by ALPA national. It was a dumb move for sure, but what effect it will have on future hiring, nobody knows. I had lunch with a couple of UPS guys recently, who told me privately (and off the record) that "they don't care if they (the Astar pilots) never find jobs in this business again." So I guess it would be something an Astar guy would want to distance himself from, if and when he does get an interview there.

Latest resources

Back