• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dhl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would also point out that the Superman of this whole hearing was an attorney by the name of Samuel Simon that was called upon to testify by the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. As an attorney from an independent organization called the American Antitrust Institute that clearly stated on the record they are not siding with either party and represents that the laws of our country are upheld in the area of antitrust. He clearly states there are not minor, but possible major antitrust violations in this arrangement and the best course of action would be to stop it before irrevocable harm would come to the DHL operation to the point it would not be able to compete. And since the Department of Justice cannot intervene until a contract is in place and progress is made toward the arrangement, an injunction should be issued by non other than the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the agreement the two (DHL and UPS) are going to have. You can read his written testimony on their web site or on the House Committee web site.

I only wish his question and answers were published as well. This guy was an amazing bank of antitrust information and his stance, which represents the AAI is clear; That this deal should go no farther and stopped right away.

Not that it matters, but if anyone (or their kids) has gone to Rutgers this guy is also a part-time law professor there.

Last edited:
Captains Ross and Prater, you guys are doing a great job testifying for all of the 10,000 people that will lose their jobs as a result of this DHL/UPS deal. THANKS!

The only problem I have with the whole hearings platform is that DHL is sending Mullen to hear the questions and pleas of the Representatives, Senators, Mayor, Governor and Lt.Governor. This guy does not understand the negative aspects of this deal DHL will suffer because he is THE ONE incompetent guy that has been leading DHL down the toilet for 5 years now. He is the one that directed the integration fiasco and got promoted as a result of it. He is the one responsible for all of the bad calls they have made since day one of both purchases. How can you tell the donkey he is a donkey when he refuses to accept he is anything but a thoroughbred? When you speak of incompetent management being the direct reason for the situation DHL finds themselves in....he is THE ONE. I don't know if that makes sense but he is every bad decision.

This hearing was insignificant as is this whole issue in light of current events. The failures or partial failures, mergers, buyouts, HP laying off 24,000 you tell me what makes this special. People are impacted and it hurts. Wilmington rejoiced when Airborne started there and many of the farm families could supplement their incomes working the sort at nights. It brought jobs and money to an area that had nothing and it has served them well for many years. Sadly, nothing is forever.

This hearing was insignificant as is this whole issue in light of current events. The failures or partial failures, mergers, buyouts, HP laying off 24,000 you tell me what makes this special. People are impacted and it hurts. Wilmington rejoiced when Airborne started there and many of the farm families could supplement their incomes working the sort at nights. It brought jobs and money to an area that had nothing and it has served them well for many years. Sadly, nothing is forever.

Unfortunately, you may be right. The only difference is that it seem a whole community has been built around the company. As much as I hate Micheal Moore, his movie about Flint tells a similiar story. The one difference being those jobs were sent to Japan.

Well, looks like there are a bunch in DC that think it is special. If not for the jobs because of the possible illegal nature of the deal, the impact to the already suffering economy on the consumer and the implications this could have on foreign investment in the US market up to and including open skies. You may not like it over at UPS since you guys may actually feel what all other carriers have been dealing with such as reduced pay decreased benefits and furloughs. But like you said, nothing lasts forever.

Well, looks like there are a bunch in DC that think it is special. .

I would expect nothing more from politicians. I would hope to God that mine would fight for my job too.

Shares of UPS (Latest price: UPS) were off more than 5 percent today, pulled lower by a broader market sell-off and a downgrade issued by brokerage
Stifel cut its opinion on the stock to hold from buy, mostly because it had risen 19 percent since early July.

"The stock has been a big beneficiary of falling fuel prices, ... but we are not willing to expect that oil retreats much further," the firm wrote.

"Given the current state of the U.S. economy and the slowing global economy, we believe there is insufficient upside potential remaining to keep a buy rating on UPS.
We believe that despite the protests from unions and the State of Ohio the DHL/UPS deal will go through as planned, but that is insignificant to our overall rating on the company

These are the REAL independent sources of Info. As they say, money talks, BS walks. And there is sure a lot of BS in DC.

You're an idiot!!!

This is significant in many ways and mostly to the aviation industy in which we work in. The loss of Astar and ABX will affect the higher salaries that we have been watching drop quicker than your sister pants over the last decade. With Astar and ABX gone, this will leave FedEx and UPS being a couple of the last few airlines that remain with descent wages and benefits, and they too will also be looking to average the industry average salary by dropping their pay in the future.

This is also significant to you if you want to send a package out in the future; but you won't be able to because the price has shot up due to the fact that there is less competition and because your salary decreased now you won't be able to ship that box!!

It is also significant to the economy. It will hurt you because now there is less people spending money and stimulating the economy and there for slowing the machine even more than where it's at now.

It hurts the entire country as whole, not just us Astar and ABX guys.

CH

...there are not minor, but possible major antitrust violations in this arrangement and the best course of action would be to stop it before irrevocable harm would come to the DHL operation to the point it would not be able to compete.
DHL has been steadily losing market share for over 20 years, to the point that it is now in the low single-digits. Considering that despite a 20-year head-start in this business, they are now losing a billion dollars a year in pursuit of an enterprise in which their 2 main competitors have consistently made hundreds of millions per year, raises the question of whether DHL is or will ever be a viable "competitor" under any circumstances.

The antitrust regulations are designed to protect competition, not jobs. The thing that has prevented DHL from being "competitive" isn't some collusion between their 2 biggest competitors, but their own gross mismanagement. And for that, there is no remedy under the law.

DHL has been steadily losing market share for over 20 years, to the point that it is now in the low single-digits. Considering that despite a 20-year head-start in this business, they are now losing a billion dollars a year in pursuit of an enterprise in which their 2 main competitors have consistently made hundreds of millions per year, raises the question of whether DHL is or will ever be a viable "competitor" under any circumstances.

The antitrust regulations are designed to protect competition, not jobs. The thing that has prevented DHL from being "competitive" isn't some collusion between their 2 biggest competitors, but their own gross mismanagement. And for that, there is no remedy under the law.

True dat. I will never disagree that the management of DHL needs a bleaching to the point their stain is gone forever. They need a restructuring alright, but they need to start from the top down. That Mullen screwed the pooch on integration and he continues to be a disaster for them. How this guy still still is employed boggles the mind. As long as he is in charge of DHL they will never make the climb out of the cesspool they put themselves in. You are right there isn't a law....but there should be.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back