• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's ANC base done in DEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you close the base near SOC then the displacements take place after SOC, effecting us all.

Incorrect. There would be a displacement bid well ahead of a base closing. There is no way DL will pay to have 300 ANC pilots doing nothing for months. If they plan to close ANC by DEC, then I believe DTW320 said there would have to be an AUG APA to allow that to happen, and I think AUG will be the last FNWA APA anyway. If they don't get rid of the 2 742s doing MAC charters, then maybe they will keep the MSP 742 category open, but it appears like ANC may be gone in DEC.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
As per the JPWA, any furloughs created by parking an aircraft 757 or larger will be 1 for 1 from both lists.

As per the JPWA, any furloughs created by parking an aircraft 757 or larger will be 1 for 1 from both lists.

After SOC. Remember I am talking mainly about DISPLACEMENTS here. This was addressed by the SLI arbitrators. If fleets are parked prior to SOC, only those pilots are affected. If they parked a fleet (742s) prior to SOC and waited to furlough after SOC, I think the arbitrators would be called.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
But they can do a joint AE before SOC. Lets say they plan on closing the base on Dec 31. SOC that day too, which is the new target date btw. (This one looks better with the Tech Ops issues) They can go and have this AE in DEC with an conversion after SOC. It is ugly but it works.

Or they will have a Displacement on the NWA side, cancel it and then have the AE after SOC. Since they are getting displaced and probably more senior than most, they would go to training first anyway.
Also they may just operate the 742's out of MSP until SOC, then park em and send them to training then. It is not to hard to work around the issue of training more than they have to. It has been thought about.

I am guessing, that based on the info I have, that they will train on whatever they want to. (given that their seniority can hold it, and it is not the 777)

Looks like the writing is on the wall. When is the bad news going to start going out to the junior guys. My buddy is a very junior Delta guy. He says he thinks he'll be on the street by the end of the year.

If you say so Clown.....

:rolleyes:

But they can do a joint AE before SOC. Lets say they plan on closing the base on Dec 31. SOC that day too, which is the new target date btw. (This one looks better with the Tech Ops issues) They can go and have this AE in DEC with an conversion after SOC. It is ugly but it works.

Or they will have a Displacement on the NWA side, cancel it and then have the AE after SOC. Since they are getting displaced and probably more senior than most, they would go to training first anyway.
Also they may just operate the 742's out of MSP until SOC, then park em and send them to training then. It is not to hard to work around the issue of training more than they have to. It has been thought about.

I am guessing, that based on the info I have, that they will train on whatever they want to. (given that their seniority can hold it, and it is not the 777)

There is no way to know there will be another bid right after SOC. But, as anyone who has been through a fleet closure (MD11s, L1011s, 727s, 732s, etc) knows the bids were out prior to the closure. Why would DL want another bid that would be even more costly right after SOC? If you open the entire base system up to these senior 742 pilots, then the costs would skyrocket as the bids would hit every fleet essentially. Highly unlikely. Now if you are saying they bid an AE that would become active after SOC, I don't think they could do that either without a grievance being made to the arbitrators. If DL decided to make a SLC A320/19 base on an AUG APA, then that could move some of the ANC people down there, but again FNWA pilots can't bid FDL planes and the same goes for FDAL pilots bidding FNWA planes until after SOC. I don't see a post SOC award being allowed if the APA or bid is done in AUG. There could be some FNWA movement to new DL bases (JFK A330 or SLC 320 etc), but nothing else I would think.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
They are going to start moving airplanes in March of 2010. That is straight from the horse's mouth. They know that there is a cost associated with it, it has been tabulated and they are prepared for it.

They want to move these jets to maximize their profit per leg. It is very cost effective over two years to move the pilots too. It is going to happen. Lots will be mad, and others will be happy, but it is to benefit our bottom line. Trust me, they have looked at it, and with there in effect being no major fences to speak of, they decided to wait until after SOC to throw this in to the blender.

They are going to start moving airplanes in March of 2010. That is straight from the horse's mouth. They know that there is a cost associated with it, it has been tabulated and they are prepared for it.

They want to move these jets to maximize their profit per leg. It is very cost effective over two years to move the pilots too. It is going to happen. Lots will be mad, and others will be happy, but it is to benefit our bottom line. Trust me, they have looked at it, and with there in effect being no major fences to speak of, they decided to wait until after SOC to throw this in to the blender.

Is this the same guy who stated we would have 717s that are now going to Click? Things do change. If you mean moving planes from base to base, I can see that. If there is a displacement prior to SOC and it is done in AUG, then FNWA guys won't be able to bid ATL 757/767 until after SOC. But, they will have to displace people off the 742 in ANC before that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Is this the same guy who stated we would have 717s that are now going to Click? Things do change. If you mean moving planes from base to base, I can see that. If there is a displacement prior to SOC and it is done in AUG, then FNWA guys won't be able to bid ATL 757/767 until after SOC. But, they will have to displace people off the 742 in ANC before that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think ACL is right here. What would you do if you were management? Move everyone possibly twice, or "do it once, do it right". I don't like it either, but I would guess that they will have their choice of everything but the 777. In the same vein, I think that the 787s will not be cancelled, but deferred. That way, the subsequent stand-in aircraft will also be open to all. It wasn't the fences that hurt us in the merger, it was the lack of them. Even for a couple of years.

Latest resources

Back