• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's ANC base done in DEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think ACL is right here. What would you do if you were management? Move everyone possibly twice, or "do it once, do it right". I don't like it either, but I would guess that they will have their choice of everything but the 777. In the same vein, I think that the 787s will not be cancelled, but deferred. That way, the subsequent stand-in aircraft will also be open to all. It wasn't the fences that hurt us in the merger, it was the lack of them. Even for a couple of years.

If they can be *absorbed* by trip rig implementation on the FN side there might not even be any displacements there.

The flip side to the train twice argument is most will probably preference SEA, and are senior enough to get it, and then if SEA 330 goes elsewhere they'll take whatever replaces it. Some might follow the acft to MSP for the remainder of the 742 flying ,and then back to SEA again post SOC on a base opening.

If I was management I'd take a close look at the preference cards of where pilots want to go and wait until post SOC to minimize training cycles, provided there is flying to be done.

Any replacement or substitution acft for the 787 will probably have to be decided by a supplementary award, and if that acft is imminent, management may wait on pulling the plug on 742's until the outcome of that is determined.

Last edited:
Is this the same guy who stated we would have 717s that are now going to Click? Things do change. If you mean moving planes from base to base, I can see that. If there is a displacement prior to SOC and it is done in AUG, then FNWA guys won't be able to bid ATL 757/767 until after SOC. But, they will have to displace people off the 742 in ANC before that.

Bye Bye--General Lee
They wanted way to much for the jets. That and a crazy interest rate (10.5%+) made them cost prohibitive. Now if they come down on those a little bit, they may be in play. Fact is that we are only going to make smart purchases. If the right deal is offered, we will do it.

Last edited:
Fact is that if you do it now or do it later. Moving any airplane will cause displacements across the board. Lets say they move the 9 here to ATL. Well guess what they get to bid almost any jet in the system. There will be DAL guys displaced off the 767.
Also, if they move some of our ER's out of ATL, DAL guys will get to bid what they want. Most live here so they will displace guys off of the 767. It is just the way it is going to be.
Fun, No. But it is just a fact giving the result of the arbitrated award.

As per the JPWA, any furloughs created by parking an aircraft 757 or larger will be 1 for 1 from both lists.
Negative, Peanuckle, any furloughs prior to SOC resulting from parking of 757s only will be 1/1. You see, we can't reasonably or logically discern between a FNWA and an ODAL 757...except for the 757-300, which, being the newest/most efficient (yet doggyest performers, but I would be too if I had an extra 50 thousand lbs. or so strapped to my back) -are unlikely to be gotten rid of anytime soon... But the parking of all other aircraft is the "responsibility" of the pilot group that "brung" it.... That is about as simple as the language is from the arbitrators, -no fancy definitions of what constitutes pre or post SOC, pre or post AE, APA, -resulting in pre or post displacements...etc. etc... With only 150-200 in the 742 category, I think they will be "absorbed"..-barring any more catastrophic downturns in the economy..(which, if is the case, we ALL have a lot to be concerned with, and the problems of a few cargo-haulers from Alaska won't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world...)

Any replacement or substitution acft for the 787 will probably have to be decided by a supplementary award, and if that acft is imminent, management may wait on pulling the plug on 742's until the outcome of that is determined.
Lets stir up a hypothetical controversy, just for fun....Say it is post SOC, and we get those 10 A330 aircraft soon (as rumored) and the big D announces we have changed/substituted/replaced/deferred the original 787 orders to the -9 model, with delivery several years down the road...who gets to get their grimy, blood soaked mitts on the new "steel"? -and, anticipating your answer, would it be just the 10 new aircraft? or would it extend to the whole A330 fleet?;)

BTW, I have a feeling that if their is some gargantuan controversy between the groups about replacement/substitute/deferred/new/old/widebody etc. aircraft coming on the property that we will both probably say "$crew this whole mess, everything is open to everybody".....No?

Last edited:
...who gets to get their grimy, blood soaked mitts on the new "steel"?
Steel? I thought they going to be carbon reinforced Tupperware.

That should do well in NWA bases. My Mom's had Tupperware in her freezer since I was born.

Fellas, it's only February. We have seven more monthly awards to do an orderly pull-down of the ANC 747-200 flying. I don't think there will be one giant flush of the ANC flying. My prediction is that there will be a gradual pull-down/displacement of guys out of ANC, maybe 20-25 guys per month over the next six months, then another 50 or so in the last APA in AUG. Most of the Long term sick guys or over 60 second officers will call it a career. If there is no further pull-down, Delta South guys will hardly even notice.

Latest resources

Back