• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so hiring not this year but what in the memo does it say about next year? I had a Delta pilot say that there will be no hiring next year too? I do not see how that could be possible.

so hiring not this year but what in the memo does it say about next year? I had a Delta pilot say that there will be no hiring next year too? I do not see how that could be possible.

The guy that empties the trash can knows as much about pilot hiring as the pilots. The chief pilots don`t know, the check airmen don`t know and the simulator instructors don`t know either.

Any hiring in the near term will be off of an event that has yet to be done. The current block plan will not require bodies until mid next year at the earliest.

I do. Anyone that looks at a seniority crystal ball can see there is no real movement until about 2017. 81 mandatory retirments in 2013 and 132 in 2014. There's about 200 in 2015. This mass retirement wave really doesn't start until 2017. That's still five years from now. Anyone that actually looks at the numbers will realize that very few pilots are leaving before age 65. We just had an early out program that had about 170 guys leave. Most of them were younger, but the positions were never replaced so it doesn't help us. FWIW, we are still overstaffed. When we do start hiring, factor in about 200 furloughees that will come back plus the flow-ups. There might not be off the street hiring for 4 more years.

I had a southwest jumpseater who has decided to jump to Delta when they start hiring. He also said he is not alone in thinking that way.

Wait a minute! If SWA is such a great place to work why is this going on?
Is Delta so much better? He doesn't live in a DAL base..

Three years is a long time to wait to jump. All depends on his age. I'm surprised to hear that Delta won't be hiring off the street for possibly three years...but it makes sense when you hear about being overstaffed, combined with furlough recalls and additional flowups.

But in this industry, things can change tommorrow.

I had a southwest jumpseater who has decided to jump to Delta when they start hiring. He also said he is not alone in thinking that way.

Wait a minute! If SWA is such a great place to work why is this going on?
Is Delta so much better? He doesn't live in a DAL base..

He's "decided" to go to Delta? Interesting. So, that whole interview thing & even getting called for an interview is all sown up for him? I wonder if he's told Big D that he's on his way over?

Plenty of ex-Delta at SWA. SWA guys have left for FedEx, UAL, etc.

Bottom line. Who cares?

:eek:

Latest resources

Back