• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do. Anyone that looks at a seniority crystal ball can see there is no real movement until about 2017. 81 mandatory retirments in 2013 and 132 in 2014. There's about 200 in 2015. This mass retirement wave really doesn't start until 2017. That's still five years from now. Anyone that actually looks at the numbers will realize that very few pilots are leaving before age 65. We just had an early out program that had about 170 guys leave. Most of them were younger, but the positions were never replaced so it doesn't help us. FWIW, we are still overstaffed. When we do start hiring, factor in about 200 furloughees that will come back plus the flow-ups. There might not be off the street hiring for 4 more years.

I would like to add that the possibility always exists for the company to hire because of growth. The company is about 600 pilots smaller than it was at the time of the merger. If the 717's and 737-900's are actual growth airplanes, there could be hiring next year of the year after. The retirement hiring is still a few years away though.

I'm working on updating my hours...been a while. I still have my old account for Delta's app. Should I just submit with estimated hours till I have them nailed down? I don't want to have to wait too long till I'm done updating my logs....yes, I know I should've kept up with it....oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would under estimate it rather than over estimating it, that way you are not caught trying to explain yourself.

As far as future hiring goes, things change. Opportunities arise. We all know that each of the legacies have a lot of older pilots that will all leave eventually. When things start to move, advancement will be quick. Newhires may be on reserve for only a few months, compared to current pilots who have remained on reserve for multiple years. Advancement to a widebody seat and eventually a Captain seat may be quicker than any time in the last 10 years. Things will be great, at all 3 of the big legacies, because fewer competitors, due to consolidation, will allow for more consistent profits. So, the legacies will be a good choice, for pay and advancement, but we just have to get to that point, and it may still be a year or more out. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Thanks GL. I know the wave is coming. I'm at a decent place now..JB..but things internally aren't what they should be. Plus, I live in ATL with no chance of selling my severely underwater house.

Speaking of "underwater", my log books were in the ATL floods of 2009. My house had water in it for 3-4 days...ten feet of water. I have my log books, but they are in awful shape. I'm working on all hours since that event on an electronic log. I can still bring my old logs to the interview...but not without giving out gloves and masks to anyone to handle them.

Suggestions?

Thanks GL. I know the wave is coming. I'm at a decent place now..JB..but things internally aren't what they should be. Plus, I live in ATL with no chance of selling my severely underwater house.

Speaking of "underwater", my log books were in the ATL floods of 2009. My house had water in it for 3-4 days...ten feet of water. I have my log books, but they are in awful shape. I'm working on all hours since that event on an electronic log. I can still bring my old logs to the interview...but not without giving out gloves and masks to anyone to handle them.

Suggestions?

You've got some time to handle this. Get electronic copies of your 121 time from your previous employer prior to JB, and you can do the same at JB obviously. Go back to your training days and see if you can get copies of that stuff too. If you get an interview, just explain what happened, and have clean, new copies of your hours, but still have the old ones available if they need more proof. You have some time to fix it, so relax, but make it look good by the time interviews start. Again, good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back