• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, people ask about "furlough protection.". After what happened following 9-11, most people might say there is no such thing. This contract does have protection in the form of no furloughing due to the economy or price of oil, having our own refinery helps I guess, and there is also still a flow down to Compass. Even during the bad recession starting in 2008, when DL was heavily overstaffed, there was no furlough because of the cost of that flow down. I have heard that economically it would have to be a furlough for over 2 years out to make is cost effective. The Vp of Flight Ops recently stated that they may have to hire up to 7000 pilots over the next 10 years. How about SWA? Not even close. When a widebody Capt leaves a legacy, multiple people move up the ladder, gaining extra pay and maybe better QOL or just something different like seeing the World vs domestic flying. That also means huge upward movement could mean very little time on reserve on a narrowbody plane, and great QOL for years to enjoy your family. With tons of retirements scheduled, all 3 legacies could be really good choices for job seekers. I bet plenty of junior SWA pilots who will stagnate for years may be looking too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Also, people ask about "furlough protection.". After what happened following 9-11, most people might say there is no such thing. This contract does have protection in the form of no furloughing due to the economy or price of oil, having our own refinery helps I guess, and there is also still a flow down to Compass. Even during the bad recession starting in 2008, when DL was heavily overstaffed, there was no furlough because of the cost of that flow down. I have heard that economically it would have to be a furlough for over 2 years out to make is cost effective. The Vp of Flight Ops recently stated that they may have to hire up to 7000 pilots over the next 10 years. How about SWA? Not even close. When a widebody Capt leaves a legacy, multiple people move up the ladder, gaining extra pay and maybe better QOL or just something different like seeing the World vs domestic flying. That also means huge upward movement could mean very little time on reserve on a narrowbody plane, and great QOL for years to enjoy your family. With tons of retirements scheduled, all 3 legacies could be really good choices for job seekers. I bet plenty of junior SWA pilots who will stagnate for years may be looking too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Good God, General--- no one's even talking about Southwest... The guy's asking about Delta, but you can't even help yourself from working an unrelated SWA slam in every post. What a tool...

Bubba

Good God, General--- no one's even talking about Southwest... The guy's asking about Delta, but you can't even help yourself from working an unrelated SWA slam in every post. What a tool...

Bubba

Must have missed Whataburger's musings, eh?

all the way up to 12 day trips on the INTL side. Before you hate that, most guys who bid those (and they go senior) bid one at the beginning of one month, and then can have 35 days off in a row until the next 12 day trip at the end of the following month.
And the 3rd month? 12 days at the beginning = 24 days on in a row? They must hate their families (or they have 2nd "families" in Asia from what I've heard).

Online application is submitted. Ready to move on if given the opportunity. Some questions I have for anyone in the know:

1) Have calls gone out for interviews to anyone yet?
2) What are the reserve rules? Short and/or long call out times?
3) Commuter clause?
4) Who is the health insurance through? Different plans to choose from for a family? Cost of these plans?
5) Once a line holder, what are the lines like? 2,3,4 days? Number of days off between trips?

Thanks in advance...

Have you ever been to http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ ? There are pages and pages and pages of info on there. Take the time and do some research and you will find all of the answers there.

Hearing that hiring is likely delayed due to several factors. Smaller than expected number of early outs, slow 717 delivery schedule, and a softening economy overseas, just to name a few. Everything was pointing to November, until recently, when the outlook on hiring seems to have changed to mid summer of next year. The hiring team is just now being assembled, as I hear it, and that is usually done 6-8 months prior to hiring.

Recent base visit by management said earliest hiring would be late 2013 so don't look for new hires in the next 12 months. Hope I'm wrong. Huge AE, position bid, supposed to be out in Oct. I have flown 400 hours YTD doing nothing but reserve and have never been given more than 3 SC's in a month. Once hiring starts I think the flow ups will take up most of the slots for the 1st year so prob not much off the street hiring until 2015.

And the 3rd month? 12 days at the beginning = 24 days on in a row? They must hate their families (or they have 2nd "families" in Asia from what I've heard).

Thanks Jonny, then you can mix it up with 4 3 day trips to Europe or throw in a Rio or Santiago. Enjoy Amarillo and stagnation.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bubba

Ahahahhaahaha. Googles is right, Whatajoke did it first. You are WRONG. Admit it. You suck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Ahahahhaahaha. Googles is right, Whatajoke did it first. You are WRONG. Admit it. You suck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

And the grown up thing to do would be to let it go. But it was long ago I could tell the maturity level just was not there.

Good luck to us all.

Latest resources

Back