• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you negotiate Red, you have to give and take. Other parts of the contract were good, some not as good, but better. You guys almost allowed reserve in Hawaii, but then you dropped your ETOPS app for an indefinite amount of time. Also, that calendar day only accounts for a select few number of flights, most days are worth 5:15. A standard 4 day is worth at least 21 hours. But, I do INTL trips for 6 days worth 40 hours, which is much better than your 6.5 average for a 4 day. You lose. It's called variety! Too bad about your lack of Hawaii flying. Oh well. Aloha!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Who is tending to the wife while you are half way around the world on a 6 day?

Who is tending to the wife while you are half way around the world on a 6 day?

When you do 2 six day trips, that means you have 18 off, and that could be 18 in a row if you want. That is fantastic, and you Corndogs can't really do that. You have 30 in 7 constraints, but not for INTL. As far as my wife goes, she's very happy, thanks! How is your husband?

Bye Bye---General Lee

So riddle me this Batman!! Anyone who can answer..

I agree that SWA has got the staffing done right. Why can't we do that at Delta?? It doesn't make any sense to staff for a minority of the time and pay the salaries, health benefits, retirements and taxes the other 9 months of the year. I tried all summer to get green slips and got one. And....my average month in the off peak season is about 10 hours less than the summer...

It's much cheaper and more efficient for the company to fly us and send us home. Get us out of the hotels and off per diem. The air line should want to fly us 8 hours a day and send us home wet and tired....

I don't mean to turn this into a union thread but who is staffing the air line here? It feels like the tail is wagging the dog. We have an opportunity moving forward to staff lean and get a little more time at home. That message needs to be heard loud and clear.

I agree that SWA has got the staffing done right. Why can't we do that at Delta?? It doesn't make any sense to staff for a minority of the time and pay the salaries, health benefits, retirements and taxes the other 9 months of the year. I tried all summer to get green slips and got one. And....my average month in the off peak season is about 10 hours less than the summer...

It's much cheaper and more efficient for the company to fly us and send us home. Get us out of the hotels and off per diem. The air line should want to fly us 8 hours a day and send us home wet and tired....

I don't mean to turn this into a union thread but who is staffing the air line here? It feels like the tail is wagging the dog. We have an opportunity moving forward to staff lean and get a little more time at home. That message needs to be heard loud and clear.

I believe DL has cut back on capacity, and that also normally happens during the Fall and Winter. Delta has always made it's big money during the Spring and Summer. People don't go to Europe as much during the Fall, so not all of the flights are daily or they are even cut during that time. If Europe financially got it's act back together, maybe there would be some additional flights in the "off season". For the first time ever since DL started the routes via the Pan Am aquisition (Europe), DL will not be flying from JFK to Rome at all during the Winter. That is how bad it is.

On the other side, Asia is doing better, and so is South America. DL will likely add more Asia flights and S America flights soon. Domestically, DL is taking back a lot of the regional flights while parking RJs. DC9s have started flying back to Chatanooga, Wilmington, Fayatteville, Ashville, etc. A319s are starting Roanoke to ATL, and MD88s started Des Moines from ATL. All of those had mainly RJs flying them, and now mainline has returned. Also, have you seen the NFL, NCAA, NBA, and MAC charters DL has been doing lately? A huge upswing in those, which helps when there is spare capacity available.

But again, DL seems to be more of a Spring/Summer airline. When people start to retire enmasse, then lines will be higher, and as newhires go to training and other pilots bid Capt on 717s etc, those lines will be higher. It just has taken a bit more time because of the capacity reduction.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Because there are a few SWA pilots on this forum who have nothing better to do that post on Delta threads.

And an equal # of DAL who post on swa-
It was rhetorical though

Let me answer.....so you want to lean out so YOU can get green slips? Double pay trip rather than just straight time pickups like the SWA guys speak of? If you need the cash, switch jets and goto something that makes you senior and if you are, then switch to something bigger.....we are overmanned due to Intl cutbacks, something we all have to get used to until things get better there.

I like the airline fat right now, I have never had a better chance to change or adjust my schedule under this BK BS era of contracts. Its great rather than seeing CAPPED.

I do agree with you about the schedules being super productive. The company has allowed Carmen to build the skeds which has boatloads of sitting around with ZERO credit time added in and ALPA just defends it to justify more productivity.

They try to compare us to southwest only in productivity but never account for nine plane types and the mission being different......BUT I digress......

Last edited:
Because there are a few SWA pilots on this forum who have nothing better to do that post on Delta threads.

While maybe true enough sometimes, this time it was Bill Lumberg (a Delta guy) comparing someting to Southwest, and then asking a Southwest question. Question was answered; discussion ensued. At least it's not a childish slamfest (for the most part).

Bubba

Yeah, never said there weren't. Your both equal tools for being habitual posters of crap on the other guys threads. Grow up and get a life.

So, you can't have fun or point out differences on an anonymous website? OKAY......Mayor Bloomberg....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back