• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta TA = ALPAs failure of representation for regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know you been around a while and have worked in various union capacities, etc. But if you don't think the mentality exists amongst ANY pilot group you're not paying attention. It's been going on since the beginning.

I don't dispute that. And I condemn it just as you do. But I don't think that applies in this case with this TA.

Yes, but there was no flow-through, which is how it should work. I'm betting that was DALPA's demand, not management's. The pilots there have always had a little bit too much of an ego about your hiring process. Letting pilots who have already been flying Delta passengers flow up to Delta is the right thing to do, rather than forcing them to go through an interview process just for the privilege of flying the same passengers that they've already been flying.
Disagree. One still should be interviewed. There are plenty of DCI pilots who have no business being in a customer service industry. How many times have you flown with someone on an RJ and thought, I can't wait for this to be over. Now compare a 50 minute RJ flight to a 14 hour flight to Dubai. There's got to be a process so they can still weed out these types of personalities without having to accept them because they are simply DCI.

I've ridden on plenty of Delta mainline jumpseats and thought "man, it would really suck to be flying with this a-hole for a whole trip." It's not a regional/mainline thing. Some people just suck. If mainline is ok with outsourcing the flying to the carrier that employs that pilot you're talking about, then they should have no problem flowing him up to mainline.

I've ridden on plenty of Delta mainline jumpseats and thought "man, it would really suck to be flying with this a-hole for a whole trip." It's not a regional/mainline thing. Some people just suck. If mainline is ok with outsourcing the flying to the carrier that employs that pilot you're talking about, then they should have no problem flowing him up to mainline.

Again, disagree. Because certain DCI carriers, like Pinnacle, have hired and given class dates to pilots WITHOUT even interviewing! There was a program in place for students graduating from Western Michigan and Oklahoma State (I think). But it is fact that 9E took pilots without interviewing. Personally, that should never have happened, because an airline needs a weed-out process to at least *attempt* at keeping the bad apples out. In the 2004-2007 era, regionals were desperate and hiring anyone who could fog a mirror. That hiring standard should be higher than that at a place like Delta.

Again, those pilots already fly Delta passengers in airplanes that say Delta on the side. If Delta is ok with outsourcing their passengers to those pilots, then they can't complain about flowing them up as far as I'm concerned. Don't like the quality of pilot at certain regionals? Then you shouldn't be outsourcing to them in the first place.

Again, those pilots already fly Delta passengers in airplanes that say Delta on the side. If Delta is ok with outsourcing their passengers to those pilots, then they can't complain about flowing them up as far as I'm concerned. Don't like the quality of pilot at certain regionals? Then you shouldn't be outsourcing to them in the first place.

Yes, but why stop the parallel there? How about safety? Remember those Colgan 3407 hearings? Where the major airline leaders (ATA types) were asked if they would support a one level of safety and take responsibility for safety issues at their regional counterparts... "we're gonna have to get back to you on that."

Delta doesn't know or have any hand in hiring at Pinnacle or any other DCI carrier. The contract spells out what flying is to be done by whichever carrier, at whatever agreed cost. Maybe Delta assumed that their DCI partner would actually have a hiring standard that was more than just the ability to fog a mirror?

Yes, but there was no flow-through, which is how it should work. I'm betting that was DALPA's demand, not management's. The pilots there have always had a little bit too much of an ego about your hiring process. Letting pilots who have already been flying Delta passengers flow up to Delta is the right thing to do, rather than forcing them to go through an interview process just for the privilege of flying the same passengers that they've already been flying.

Many Comair guys stated that too, and threw in that they should get DOH at DL too. It hasn't worked out so well for them since then. Delta used to hire ex military guys exclusively, and although that isn't the case now, they still want that ability to grab some of those guys too. Management owns the hiring.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Disagree. One still should be interviewed. There are plenty of DCI pilots who have no business being in a customer service industry. How many times have you flown with someone on an RJ and thought, I can't wait for this to be over. Now compare a 50 minute RJ flight to a 14 hour flight to Dubai. There's got to be a process so they can still weed out these types of personalities without having to accept them because they are simply DCI.

Based on your demeanor at PCL....I find it odd you are having this argument.

The Pinnacle union is only concerned with the careers of the senior lifers. The top 300 or so. One of the biggest reasons the company is not competitive is because of how senior it is but the union will not allow their most senior to take a hit by themselves even though they have let the junior and the FO's take huge hits in the past while they gained from what was going on. Need examples? XJ 05' contract and the SLI. enough said. Time to leave.

Latest resources

Back