• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CVG and MEM is so GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, did he just post that? They both IS gone? Pure genius. BTW, CVG has the highest yield of any DL hub. I think it will be around a bit longer, with fewer RJs, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Boyd says the economics on the Saab aren't very good:
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]Turboprops? Not Really. But, there isn't any relief in sight, even for shorter haul flying. Here's a flash: the costs of the 30-34 seat turboprops that are still flying (and no more are coming) are getting really onerous. From the Airports:USA DataMiner aircraft database, here are the overall all-up costs for a SF-340 on a 200-mile stage length at various fuel prices.[/FONT]
SF340costs1.png
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]We've done the math. Even at $3 a gallon, on a longer 300-mile stage length, the net ASM cost of a SF-340 is just under 30 cents. A 50-seat RJ is approximately 20 cents. When the math is done, the net sector costs of a SF-340 is approximately $3,000. The net sector costs of a 50-seat RJ: you guessed it. $3,000.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]Point: There is no turboprop relief in sight for smaller communities. In fact, it would be a net plus in some cases to shift some of this flying to RJs. If the sector costs are similar, and there's 16 more seats to sell, it doesn't take an MBA from Wharton to figure it out. Countering this is the opportunity cost of applying a $15 million RJ asset into a market where its full operational potential might be better used elsewhere.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]What's certain, however, is that fleets of 50-seat RJs are being reduced, and regardless of cost comparisons, there is limited traffic stimulation potential at many smaller communities.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]Message: innovative marketing and strategic planning will be needed in the future at small and mid-size communities. The old ways of doing a "survey" or a "study" and then inflicting them, along with a community "delegation" on the airline planners, is near-certain to mostly waste time. The goal: identify new, clear value streams the community can develop.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]We've done it for communities across the nation. If you're interested in investigating the future of air service retainment and recruitment, give Mike Mooney at Boyd Group International a call. (303) 674-2000.[/FONT]​

I don't think these Saabs will be around very long. Just to cover some flying into HHH and such until Delta can get some bigger Tprops up to speed.

Boyd says the economics on the Saab aren't very good:

Thats why 50-seat jets replaced them in the first place. Small airplanes of any propulsion are dead with the economics of todays airlines. I see most of the remaining small t-props in America be put out to pasture as their leases come up.

And now you can understand why our contract was extended to the end of 2011... gee when do our Saab leases expire, you guessed it 2011.... anyone care to guess what's going to happen to Mesaba pilots the end of 2011..... Buy your lube of choice now, we all should already know it won't be supplied by the company.

Thats interesting. Wonder if Messaba will be flying SLC-SUN also down the road?

You blaspheme. ;)

(On the more serious side, I could see something like this happening if/when SKW completely phases out the Bro. But I'll most likely have my jet transition (and possibly upgrade) by then, so if at that time Mesaba wants to contend with that RNAV approach, they can be my guest. I hope they get the TWF plates in their Jepps!)

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back