• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You wanna talk about old! Piedmont Airlines flys planes from 1985!!!

And they are probably gonna fly atleast another 5-10 years.

Where do people get this stuff? The 340's at XJ average to be about 11 years old. Parts are plenty, there is no issue of support from saab or any of the other oem's. 11 years is very young for an airliner. With that said, however, the paint on them is flat out embarrasing as is the interior condition. Taking care of the aircraft is definitely not our company's strong suit. The Saab's at Mesaba are as ghetto as they get.

It, like every aircraft on the planet, has quirks or systems that are less reliable than others. Also, factor in what the mx department is told to fix and to defer and with what quality of parts (when given a choice the cheaper the better-notice how well the new landing lights are working out?).

Take what you hear from pilots, expecially those whose experience consists of 1 post-college airline and 1 or 2 airplanes with a grain of salt.

I don't know about that, parts are getting harder to find, Saab and GE just barely support the airplane and engines. With the new icing proceedures (boots on continous in icing conditions-+5C & visable moisture) there are going to be ALOT of broke airplanes this winter. my guess is Q300s

I don't know about that, parts are getting harder to find, Saab and GE just barely support the airplane and engines. With the new icing proceedures (boots on continous in icing conditions-+5C & visable moisture) there are going to be ALOT of broke airplanes this winter. my guess is Q300s

Again, besides the highly regarded crew room rumors, what is the source of this? Saab (a very healthy company)and the oem's have plenty of parts-when is the last time a plane was down while waiting more than a day for a part? Can you provide an example?

As for GE...someone is seriously yanking your chain. The CT7 engine is used in multiple rotorcraft, aircraft and many of these are military applications. It is put on newer aircraft (the Sikorsky S92 for example). GE has a ton of support for the powerplant and will for a long time to come. Again, where the hell are you getting this crap?

It is PLANNED to have 5 of the 49 Saabs we have out of service for maintenance EVERY day. Just as we plan to have 1 CRJ200 and 2 CRJ900 out EVERY day. planes break, planes requre maintenance checks, planes can't fly 24/7. It is, and has been, built into the planning from the start.

Again, where the hell are you getting this crap?

Delta has sought relief from the 80% number that Skywest Inc will operate out of ATL. SkyWest Inc granted it for a year. So, I hear now that ASA is getting a Snaab program together. The 340's will moved over and operated by ASA folks about a year after the consolidation is finished.

Part of why the saab took a hit in reliability last winter was the big influx of junior crews. Nothing against them and its better to err on the side of caution but when you've got less than a year and maybe have never seen a winter at Mesaba its hard to know whats a Saabism and what needs to be written up. Not to mention then new AD on icing from Saab that requires ice systems to be on pretty much all the time vs before when it was pilots discretion.

I predict Q200/300/400 for CRJ200 and Saab/Brasilia/ATR replacement at the new Delta.

I don't think thats a good prediction. I believe I saw a memo that stated that once Bombardier Finished its current orders on the Q200/300's that they will not take any more orders. Production of the Q200 and Q300 will cease in May 2009.

They will then only build the Q400 and will look more into developing a 90 seat version of the Q400.

Last edited:

Well hopefully you guys can use good sound pilot judgment while applying this rule.;)

I don't think thats a good prediction. I believe I saw a memo that stated that once Bombardier Finished its current orders on the Q200/300's that they will not take any more orders. Production of the Q200 and Q300 will cease in May 2009.

They will then only build the Q400 and will look more into developing a 90 seat version of the Q400.

Not making any more. Perfect. Thats just when Mesaba usually starts buying or leasing something.

Latest resources

Back