• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will bet you see the Mesaba saabs fly well into the next decade. (2015-2016) In fact like many other times said in the past of the DC-9 at NWA, they will probably go and pick up the pilots of newer planes when they drop of the newer planes at the desert.

They should certainly be able to outlive the fine craftsmanship that is the CRJ.... You'll be lucky to be able to get the CRJ's TO the desert in a few years.

NDB baby! Oldschool!

After a quick perusal of my KSUN Jepps, the NDB-DME approach has an MDA of 8000' (field elev is 5318), a vis min of 5 miles, and a missed approach point 5.3 NM from the threshold of Rwy 31. The RNAV W has an MDA of 7080, missed approach point at the threshold of 31, and vis mins of 1.5 for cat B.

The NDB is not better. Having the skill to actually fly these approaches is not the issue--getting weather good enough to get in with a plane load of cranky SUN pax is.

But I love flying SLC-SUN. It's one of my favorite legs, and it will be a sad day when I have to stop. I'm pretty sure there are some FAs who do not share my enthusiam. :)

-Goose

Last edited:
After a quick perusal of my KSUN Jepps, the NDB-DME approach has an MDA of 8000' (field elev is 5318), a vis min of 5 miles, and a missed approach point 5.3 NM from the threshold of Rwy 31. The RNAV W has an MDA of 7080, missed approach point at the threshold of 31, and vis mins of 1.5 for cat B.

The NDB is not better. Having the skill to actually fly these approaches is not the issue--getting weather good enough to get in with a plane load of cranky SUN pax is.

But I love flying SLC-SUN. It's one of my favorite legs, and it will be a sad day when I have to stop. I'm pretty sure there are some FAs who do not share my enthusiam. :)

-Goose

Well of Course the NDB approach wouldn't be better. Is there anything worse then an NDB approach?

Having not flown there I did pull up the plates and looked a the airport. Kinda Cool! I think I would miss going there too!!!

On the topic of Mesaba SAABs... I was seated across the aisle from an XJ 340 CA on my commute.

He said that the 340s are becoming increasingly unreliable, spare parts are difficult to obtain, and he has heard rumour of a replacement. Also said there's an average of 4-6 340's down for maintenence on most days. Anyone else lend some weight (or discredit) to this?

I think the 340 serves its role perfectly, but you gotta admit they're getting long in the tooth. Has XJ refurbed any other 340's aside from 407XJ, inside or out?

On the topic of Mesaba SAABs... I was seated across the aisle from an XJ 340 CA on my commute.

He said that the 340s are becoming increasingly unreliable, spare parts are difficult to obtain, and he has heard rumour of a replacement. Also said there's an average of 4-6 340's down for maintenence on most days. Anyone else lend some weight (or discredit) to this?

I think the 340 serves its role perfectly, but you gotta admit they're getting long in the tooth. Has XJ refurbed any other 340's aside from 407XJ, inside or out?

Where do people get this stuff? The 340's at XJ average to be about 11 years old. Parts are plenty, there is no issue of support from saab or any of the other oem's. 11 years is very young for an airliner. With that said, however, the paint on them is flat out embarrasing as is the interior condition. Taking care of the aircraft is definitely not our company's strong suit. The Saab's at Mesaba are as ghetto as they get.

It, like every aircraft on the planet, has quirks or systems that are less reliable than others. Also, factor in what the mx department is told to fix and to defer and with what quality of parts (when given a choice the cheaper the better-notice how well the new landing lights are working out?).

Take what you hear from pilots, expecially those whose experience consists of 1 post-college airline and 1 or 2 airplanes with a grain of salt.

Latest resources

Back