Delta Pilot Deal Allows Huge Increase In 70-Seat Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shroomwell said:
What exactly is "preferential hiring", does that mean DAL furloughs get the left seat.

It's exactly what it sounds like. Furloughed DAL pilots will get first shot at any new hire slots at DCI. It remains to be seen whether there will be a set % of each class or what. They will not get left seat like the AA-AE flowbacks did, they'll go to the bottom of the list but can keep their DAL seniority number and recall rights. That's how it's been working at ASA anyway. It would be nice to see them retain longevity for pay, so they don't have to start at $19/hr. I think a lot more of them would have already taken positions at ASA if it weren't for the 1st year pay.

Hopefully all the furloughed guys will be recalled, and it won't be an issue. I guess we wait and see how it all plays out.

shroomwell said:
What exactly is "preferential hiring", does that mean DAL furloughs get the left seat.
Not hardly, however, I believe the concencus of opinion is that all of our DAL furloughed brothers and sisters who wish to return fly with us here at ASA should have the absolute right to do so preferentially to all else. Thus preferential hiring and not preferential interviews. IMHO, entry should occur at second year pay. 'Getting the left seat' though only when they can hold it, like everyone else. Right into left seat won't happen.

Here it is straight from the TA

Section 1 Scope:
• Designated Flying - new language includes flying done on the B757 in international
operations. Since the B-757 pay is the same as the B767ER we wanted to capture as
much of this designated flying as possible.
Year Designated Flying Scheduled
Block Hours
2005 20,000
2006 21,000
2007 21,500
2008 22,000
2009 and thereafter 23,000
• 70 Seat Jets:
o Increased the number of RJ70s allowed:
Year Number
2005 82
2006 106
2007 125
2008 125
2009 125
o may be increased beyond these numbers by one aircraft for each 10,000 hours of
mainline flying added above the plan
o DCI airline that operates any of the 70-seat jets not being operated as of
November 1, 2004, may do so only if that carrier and Delta have agreed to terms
for a preferential hiring process for pilots furloughed by Delta. Delta will offer
preferential interviews for employment to pilots employed by a Delta Connection
Carrier that offers preferential hiring to furloughed Delta pilots. Any pilot hired
by a Delta Connection Carrier operating any of the 70-seat jets not being operated
as of November 1, 2004 will not be required to resign his Delta seniority number
in order to be hired by such carrier.
o Delta may now retain its connection feed with airlines that operate jets up to 97
seats as long as those aircraft with more than 70 seats are not operated for Delta
and are not operated on a city pair served by the mainline
• Minimum Block Hours :
o changes depending on the pre-tax margin of the previous year.
o Shown in table in Section 1 E.
• Planned Percentages
o 50% of all Delta Air Lines Inc (mainline ASA, Comair, and all of DCI flying)
flying that must be accomplished by the mainline
o 25% of flying of all of Delta Air Lines Inc. flying must be accomplished by ASA
and Comair as long as both are wholly owned affiliates

From the IndyStar Newspaper

Delta deal may give boost to Republic
Indiana firm's stock surges on analyst's upgrade; US Airways' fate remains wild card.
http://www.indystar.com/images/clear.gif
http://www.indystar.com/images/clear.gif

By J.K. Wall
[email protected]
November 3, 2004

Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings Inc. stands to benefit from a new agreement between Delta Air Lines and its pilots, according to one Wall Street analyst, whose opinion sent Republic's shares skyward.

Nevertheless, Republic's shares remain depressed from their initial public offering in May. Investors worry that the struggles of US Airways, a key Republic customer that is in its second bankruptcy reorganization in two years, could hurt Republic.

On Tuesday, shares of Republic jumped more than 9 percent to $11.35 -- and traded as high as $13 -- after Merrill Lynch analyst Michael Linenberg raised his rating to "buy" from "neutral."

Linenberg cited Delta's tentative agreement with pilots, signed a week ago, which would allow Delta to use more regional jets. Delta's pilots have until Nov. 11 to vote on the contract.

Regional jets are flown by Republic's subsidiary, Chautauqua Airlines, under the banner of four major airlines: Delta, US Airways, United Airlines and American Airlines. Chautauqua also is based in Indianapolis.

Republic sits in the pole position to pick up Delta's business -- which could involve as many as 55 new 70-seat jets -- because it already operates the desirable Embraer 170 model for United.

"Republic is well-positioned," said Jim Parker, an airline analyst at Raymond James in Atlanta.

Delta officials have indicated a desire to use Embraer planes, and they face competitive pressure to do so. JetBlue, the profitable airline out of New York, will launch Embraer 190s, a stretch version of the 170, in 2005.

But Republic first must survive any fallout from US Airways' troubles. Just the threat of a collapse by US Airways "will continue to be a cloud over (Republic's) shares," Parker said.

Republic's stock has dropped 13 percent since the company's May 27 IPO. Raymond James was the co-manager of that offering. Republic's shares peaked in early June at $15 apiece.

Republic flies 35 planes for US Airways and reaps roughly 30 percent of its revenue from the Washington-based carrier.

If US Airways fails, analysts expect other major airlines to pick up the slack quickly. Linenberg takes a rosy view of that scenario, saying Republic would have as good of a chance as its competitors to replace its US Airways business by flying its planes on many of the same routes but under another airline's name.

"The opportunities created in the marketplace also mean opportunities for Republic," he wrote.

Would you have to get rid of some 50 seat CRJ's if more 70's come. What is the % of connection flying now? It said in the Delta mag. that ther were over 500 RJ's in the delta fleet.

If I'm not mistaken ASA and CMR combined currently do more than 25% of DCI flying. Therefore, ALPA has agreed that a percentage of ASA & CMR flying is "up for grabs" by those DCI carriers that are NOT subsidiaries of Delta.

Do the math and you may discover that the difference between the percentage of DCI flying currently done by ASA/CMR and the new 25% minimum is approximately equal to the 70-seat flying that ASA/CMR (combined) currently have.

ALPA has just laid the ground work for ASA and CMR's present 70-seaters to be transferred to CHQ, SKYW or a "new" DCI carrier. In other words ALPA is supporting the outsourcing of flying done by ALPA members to carriers that are NOT members of ALPA.

With "friends" like this who needs enemies?

surplus1 said:
If I'm not mistaken ASA and CMR combined currently do more than 25% of DCI flying. Therefore, ALPA has agreed that a percentage of ASA & CMR flying is "up for grabs" by those DCI carriers that are NOT subsidiaries of Delta.

Surplus do you have a reading comprehension problem. The new TA makes Delta provide 25% of total Delta flying, not DCI, to ASA and Comair. That is a significant increase in flying for you guys. Not only that, it provides you the scope that you did not negotiate for yourself.

Let's see. You are going to see a significant increase in flying (25% of total Delta, Inc. flying), you have the opportunity to fly a significant increase in 70 seat aircraft
2005 82 70 seaters
2006 106 70 seaters
2007 125 70 seaters

2008 125 70 seaters
2009 125 70 seaters

(the old 57 70 seat limit is gone), The new TA wording allows the EMB-170 on ASA/Comair property (aircraft can weigh up to 85,000lbs but configured for 70 seats) and I know that you are going to laugh at this but you have the opportunity for preferential interviews when mainline eventually starts to hire again (maybe next century). So is this your definition of an enemy? Your hatred has blinded you and you can't even properly read a TA that has been posted for you. You must live in a very bitter world indeed.

B-727 Freight Dawg

surplus1 said:

Do the math and you may discover that the difference between the percentage of DCI flying currently done by ASA/CMR and the new 25% minimum is approximately equal to the 70-seat flying that ASA/CMR (combined) currently have.

ALPA has just laid the ground work for ASA and CMR's present 70-seaters to be transferred to CHQ, SKYW or a "new" DCI carrier. In other words ALPA is supporting the outsourcing of flying done by ALPA members to carriers that are NOT members of ALPA.

I gotta agree with DAL737FO on this one...I think you are way off. It is important to note that the TA gives 25% of all Delta flying to split between ASA and CMR, NOT 25% of DCI flying. Another common misconception is 25% of Delta flights...this is also incorrect...it is 25% of Delta flying which is represented by block hours...so 25% of all Delta Block Hours...this should be a fairly substantial increase to what we are currently doing. While I do not have hard numbers, it should be noted that the average mainline flight is substantially longer than the average DCI flight and you can get the number of flights that each carrier flies in a day...which I have recently done and ASA/CMR combined opperate roughly 25% of the flight by number...not by hours...so there should be a substantial increase.

So, surplus, if you want to be pesimistic...which you obviously do...try to find negative outcomes in the ACTUAL TA and not the one you make up as you go along. I don't think they will sell us, but if they do, this would negate the 25% clause so there is something you could worry about. And this way you wouldn't be making up a new TA different from what was agreed upon...this way you can be truthfull and negative all at the same timel.

FL990 said:
It is important to note that the TA gives 25% of all Delta flying to split between ASA and CMR, NOT 25% of DCI flying. Another common misconception is 25% of Delta flights...this is also incorrect...it is 25% of Delta flying which is represented by block hours...so 25% of all Delta Block Hours...this should be a fairly substantial increase to what we are currently doing. While I do not have hard numbers....
The RJDC has run the numbers and I imagine Surplus has seen that data. He is correct, that currently ASA and Comair exceed the 25% number. I think the current number is 29%+ ( based on ASA management sources ). Whether or not this "floor" is a help, or a hinderance, has yet to be seen.

We do know that at other carriers ( NW, CO, UA, US ) ALPA has negotiated deals which have provided incentives to move RJ flying off the property. It also seems that I read on this very board a recap of provisions which made it possible to fly the E170 at DCI by non wholly owned carriers, but not at ASA, or Comair. ALPA's position on this will likely depend on which airline has the sweetest J4J deal.... In the interim, ASA needs qualified pilots....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back