• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta lawsuit vs Alaska ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny, DL is already using some of those gates. I guess the Cornies bought a lot of pizzas this year.... Because we know they are the TRUE LCC.... Just ask GK, he thinks so. Emirite?

It's kinda funny, you guys spout off wanting more competition in the big NE airports, but sure as heck don't want it at Dallas Love. Nope. We'll see how many gates DL gets.
Yes, Delta is already is using some of those gates but as was pointed out, they don't own them and the owner needs to sell them. That divestiture will be controlled by the DOJ which says Delta need not apply. They very well may say SWA will not be allowed to bid on those gates also. Selling tickets on flights from an airport where you own no gates and the DOJ has specifically stated you will not be able to purchase the ones you are currently using seems to be placing the cart before the horse doesn't it? If you can't see the conflict there you simply aren't trying very hard.

When DOJ announced the settlement Nov. 12, Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer made it clear that the department wanted the assets to go to low-cost carriers so they could bring price competition to more markets.
"We see the legacy carriers as part of the problem. We see low-cost carriers as a key part of the solution," Baer told reporters. Asked if airlines like Delta should bother applying for the American and US Airways assets, Bear replied: "That's up to them. But the papers make pretty clear where we think these gates and slots need to go in order to improve on a competitive dynamic today which is not as healthy as it could be."

Last edited:
Couldn't care less...I'm sure you'll be there to tell me my opinion though.

Mookie

Exactly..... I thought so. No comment.... How about GL was correct? The DOj has an opinion only, but you and Howie thought it was set in stone already. The article he brought up was printed before SWA was awarded the DC slots too. We'll see what pull the DL lobbyists have, but US/AA seemed to do alright overall.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yes, Delta is already is using some of those gates but as was pointed out, they don't own them and the owner needs to sell them. That divestiture will be controlled by the DOJ which says Delta need not apply. They very well may say SWA will not be allowed to bid on those gates also. Selling tickets on flights from an airport where you own no gates and the DOJ has specifically stated you will not be able to purchase the ones you are currently using seems to be placing the cart before the horse doesn't it? If you can't see the conflict there you simply aren't trying very hard.

When DOJ announced the settlement Nov. 12, Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer made it clear that the department wanted the assets to go to low-cost carriers so they could bring price competition to more markets.
"We see the legacy carriers as part of the problem. We see low-cost carriers as a key part of the solution," Baer told reporters. Asked if airlines like Delta should bother applying for the American and US Airways assets, Bear replied: "That's up to them. But the papers make pretty clear where we think these gates and slots need to go in order to improve on a competitive dynamic today which is not as healthy as it could be."

Hmmmm. Assistant Attorney General who said what? Again, has it been decided or not yet? DL is currently using some of those gates. I doubt they would lose those, and seeing how many slots SWA got at DCA, I'd say there is a good chance to gain gates at DAL. We'll just have to see...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hmmmm. Assistant Attorney General who said what? Again, has it been decided or not yet? DL is currently using some of those gates. I doubt they would lose those, and seeing how many slots SWA got at DCA, I'd say there is a good chance to gain gates at DAL. We'll just have to see...
You simply are too obtuse or deliberately disingenuous in the light of factual evidence put out by the body governing these divestitures. You keep saying you have all the right facts and are knowledgeable yet you have this inability to comprehend factual statements when they are presented to you! Let me try one last time.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f301600/301618.pdf

As alleged in the Complaint, this merger would combine two of the four major 'legacy' carriers, leaving 'New American,' Delta, and United as the remaining major national network carriers. In contrast to the legacy carriers, other carriers (hereinafter referred to as 'low-cost carriers' or 'LCCs'), such as Southwest Airlines ('Southwest'), JetBlue Airways ('JetBlue'), Virgin America, Frontier Airlines, and Spirit Airlines, have less extensive networks and tend to focus more heavily on lower fares and other value propositions.

The Divestiture of Gates at Other Key Airports
Section IV. of the Proposed Final Judgment requires that New American will transfer, consistent with the practices of the relevant airport authority, to another carrier or carriers approved by DOJ in its sole discretion, all rights and interests in two gates. The proposed Final Judgment also includes divestitures at Dallas Love Field, an airport near American's largest hub at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport ('DFW'). Gates at DFW are readily available, but Love Field, which is much closer to downtown Dallas, is highly gate-constrained. The divestitures will position a low-cost carrier to provide vigorous competition to the New American's nonstop and connecting service out of DFW.

Last edited:
You simply are too obtuse or deliberately disingenuous in the light of factual evidence put out by the body governing these divestitures. You keep saying you have all the right facts and are knowledgeable yet you have this inability to comprehend factual statements when they are presented to you! Let me try one last time.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f301600/301618.pdf

As alleged in the Complaint, this merger would combine two of the four major 'legacy' carriers, leaving 'New American,' Delta, and United as the remaining major national network carriers. In contrast to the legacy carriers, other carriers (hereinafter referred to as 'low-cost carriers' or 'LCCs'), such as Southwest Airlines ('Southwest'), JetBlue Airways ('JetBlue'), Virgin America, Frontier Airlines, and Spirit Airlines, have less extensive networks and tend to focus more heavily on lower fares and other value propositions.

The Divestiture of Gates at Other Key Airports
Section IV. of the Proposed Final Judgment requires that New American will transfer, consistent with the practices of the relevant airport authority, to another carrier or carriers approved by DOJ in its sole discretion, all rights and interests in two gates. The proposed Final Judgment also includes divestitures at Dallas Love Field, an airport near American's largest hub at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport ('DFW'). Gates at DFW are readily available, but Love Field, which is much closer to downtown Dallas, is highly gate-constrained. The divestitures will position a low-cost carrier to provide vigorous competition to the New American's nonstop and connecting service out of DFW.

So, has the final decision been handed down yet? If not, there is time to negotiate. I bet they are..... Wow Howie, you sure are certain, yet it hasn't been decided. The DOj also said no to AA/ US initially, right? Emirite? Spirit already has a DFW base, and JB may not want Dallas Love. Other LCCs may not want the gates. You never know....

Bye Bye---General Lee

I hear the offer was 1billlion !!! To look at all our RNP stuff for 6 months .. And we told RA thanks .. but no thanks ...

Me thinks big D might be a little behind on its RNP technology ?!?!

I hear the offer was 1billlion !!! To look at all our RNP stuff for 6 months .. And we told RA thanks .. but no thanks ...

Me thinks big D might be a little behind on its RNP technology ?!?!

Really? I heard it was two trillion for a 20 second peak...??.. DL has been doing RNP stuff for years. Quito needed one after an Iberia A340-600 took out the ILS after a long landing.

One Billion for a 3 month Summer flight to JNU? Really? C'mon, really? I think two trillion for a peak is closer....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Lemon Creek Baby!

I have a feeling they are looking into every procedure and talking to the locals, who apparently want them there.... And yeah, they can follow you after your rwy 8 dep.......????

And, I can't wait until you try the "Rnwy 38 dep" at Quito..... Sooo awesome!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Everyone keeps talking about this Quito RNP approach. I just watched the video and I'm wondering what I'm missing. There isn't a mountain in sight, no wind, no rain, no snow, no compacted snow & ice, no dark of night, no 6,000 feet of runway surrounded by water, and no 70 degree turn to final at 400 feet. I think the last visual I did into LAS was harder! Comparing this Quito approach to our RNP's into ADK, ADQ, CDV, JNU, SIT, KTN, PSG and WRG is just like so totally silly!
Now if the big D pilots can rip out a JNU Rwy 8 Lemon Creek departure from memory - then I will grovel at the feet of the men wearing submarine commander uniforms!

Now if the big D pilots can rip out a JNU Rwy 8 Lemon Creek departure from memory - then I will grovel at the feet of the men wearing submarine commander uniforms!

Sorry to say, you may have to start groveling. According to some of the guys that were around when delta used to fly into JNU, they were doing the Lemon Creek IMC until they realized it was a VMC procedure!! They get the biggest balls award on that one from me.....

Latest resources

Back