• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta lawsuit vs Alaska ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uhhhhhh, Quito changed airports AFTER DL used the RNP stuff at the previous airport. The new one opened a year or two ago. Look at numerous videos online if needed. The previous one took you over a heavily populated downtown area with Volcanos all around. That was the one used when the Iberia A346 overran and took out the ILS.

Look, you guys are really cocky. Try flying long distance to places that can't really speak English. Oh wait, you don't and won't have planes for that. But, you've got your approach to JNU! Fannnnntastic! And will Horizon be using your RNP approaches in Alaska as they take over most of your routes there? I hope so. When does that start in earnest?

Bye Bye---General Lee

You call us cocky? Listen to yourself man! Anyway, don't be fooled to think those that fly at Alaska have no experience in international operations. This place isn't the first rodeo for most. In regards to Juneau, I think it has been expressed over and over that anyone can fly the approaches with training. The weather, terrain and lack of radar make the approaches "interesting" to say the least.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB114739484801350874

"RNP was pioneered a decade ago by Alaska Airlines to help its planes reach mountainous Alaskan airports that were socked in by weather. The experience at the airport in Juneau, the state's capital, is instructive. The single runway there lies at the end of a channel surrounded by mountains, and the weather often is foggy or snowy. Dissatisfied with its numerous cancellations and diversions, the unit in the early 1990s started working with Boeing Co. BA +1.57% and the FAA to develop RNP there.

Under the old method, the Alaska pilots couldn't land unless they could see the Juneau runway from two miles out, with the clouds 1,220 feet above ground. Using RNP, the Alaska pilots can land if they can see the runway only one mile out, with clouds down to 337 feet. Using RNP on departure also allows some flights to leave that otherwise would be held on the ground because of weather. Last year, these differences produced big results -- both for passengers and the airline's bottom line. The airline used the technology on nearly 3,000 departures or arrivals at Juneau and kept 546 flights from having to be diverted or canceled."

Last edited:
Mamma, we get it, some of your guys pioneered RNP apps. That's awesome. Hopefully they are multi millionaires now.

And, I know you guys used to go to Magadan, Russia in your Md83s. These days, Mexico and Canada are it for you. While at least one of those can be challenging, they aren't close to some of the Worldwide ops that all 3 legacies go to daily. Moscow, Mumbai, Beijing, Lagos, etc. But the good thing is, if you don't like those, you can always bid something else.

I hope the DL Juneau flights do well this Summer. I have a feeling people are working on it to make sure they do.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Mamma, we get it, some of your guys pioneered RNP apps. That's awesome. Hopefully they are multi millionaires now.

And, I know you guys used to go to Magadan, Russia in your Md83s. These days, Mexico and Canada are it for you. While at least one of those can be challenging, they aren't close to some of the Worldwide ops that all 3 legacies go to daily. Moscow, Mumbai, Beijing, Lagos, etc. But the good thing is, if you don't like those, you can always bid something else.

I hope the DL Juneau flights do well this Summer. I have a feeling people are working on it to make sure they do. Bye Bye---General Lee

GL, no need to get defensive. I'm sure you and all the Delta pilots are good at what you do. And I'm sure working at Delta is just fabulous. But are you really trying to have a "sword" fight over which 121 operation has the toughest places to go? If so, I'm not impressed or interested. Anyone at this level should be able to fly to any strip of concrete and land. If you are having a hard time flying into Chicago, Tokyo or Mumbai at this level, maybe you should ask for some more training or re-evaluate your place in this profession.

As for the RNP comments you made, I'm afraid you lost me. I was just showing you an article concerning RNP in Juneau and how it helps improve success there. But, I'm glad you hope the guys who developed it made millions. I don't know why you care about how much they made, but I guess it's a nice thought and that's what counts.

Latest resources

Back