• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My personal opinion is that at best it would be a option to re-interview, but given the competitiveness of these slots, that may be both good and bad for you guys. I know last time we had over 12,000 applicants and only about 2000 that they deemed competitive.

In the end you will now know until you get a letter stating that you are offered the option to reinterview, or no letter shows up. It will not be announced to the world.

Exactly. You will never hear an official word on this.

I think the best you can hope for is that your application might be put at the top of the stack for review. They are not going to obligate themselves to re-interview someone they might not be interested in ( by announcing that all poolies will be entitled to another shot). Your resume today is not what it was then. It could be chocked full of additional experience, or it could have unfortunately been subject to violations, or company discipline.

If I were you I'd assume I am on a list somewhere. I'd keep my DAL contacts close and work on rubbing elbows with new ones. You never know...they might be in the position to at least drop your name to someone so you are looked at harder when the time comes.

Updating apps blow, but would assume there is a way to see how often one updates it. I'd definitely be doing it once a month at a minimum.

While I don't think you'll be getting a golden ticket, I would hope you have a better shot than the next guy...best keep your mindstate that way as well.

Fair enough. Is there an MEC position on it? Perhaps "position" is too strong of a word but for lack of a better term...

I wouldn't think they'd touch this. Don't see the point.

The company never gives something for nothing unless you are truly willing to fight for it.

MEC: "We think you should reinterview poolies "

DAL: "Thanks for sharing"

AC,

Is this info from the same person who told you that JAL was a done deal? Hiring at Delta completely depends on retirements, which are really hard to forecast. They need retirements to 'right size' the airline in terms of optimal hub/fleet route composition. 747-400 is an old airplane, and will be replaced by 777's, and possibly the 747-8i. DC-9 has proven itself over the years, but will be history by the end of 2011 just like the 727, 737-200/300G and MD-11 were not so long ago. CVG is a goner. The wholly owned regionals might be brought in house to fly big RJ's, smaller RJ's will be shed to non-wholly owned carriers. All in all, the target number of mainline aircraft pilots is 10,200 by the middle of 2012. That includes all of the above. Do the math.

Interviews will start in 2012 at the earliest!

Two-bits, I don't agree with u. Are u one of us? If you are, look at the DTW and MSP 320 Daily Trip Coverage in iCrew. Several GS awarded daily... The 757 in MSP and DTW GS awards are less, but there are some... Come this summer, I plan on getting lots of GSs. Don't know how you could assume that 15-17% of our pilots would be gone in a year or two....

From DL Flt Ops.
There is no one currently in charge of Pilot Hiring.
There is no approval for pilot hiring from the board.
And there is no money for pilot hiring in the budget at this time.

AC,

We can respectfully disagree on the hiring situation. I think my point was lost a long time ago, and that is; don't get your friends excited about Delta hiring when there is none planned! GS's will be plentiful this summer, but not this winter.

The future size of the Delta's seniority list depends on the 100 seat jet, and who flies them. This will all be hashed out sooner than we think.

I may be wrong about everything. Delta could start hiring tomorrow, and grow to 15000 pilots by 2015 and then we can all be pleasantly surprised.

What about AF? KLM??

Most of the flying at Delta is actually done by other carriers provided in the list below. Hard to believe that Delta would ever hire pilots again when much of Delta's flying is done by other carriers.

CODE-SHARED FLIGHTS: AIRLINE PROVIDING SERVICE:
DL 3001-3619 MESABA DBA DELTA C
DL 3650-4419 PINNACLE DBA DELTA
DL 4439-4935 SKYWEST DBA DELTA
DL 4939-5632 ASA DBA DELTA CONN
DL 5640-5884 COMPASS DBA DELTA
DL 5900-5991 SHUTTLE AMERICA DE
DL 6000-6094 CHAUTAUQUA DBA DEL
DL 6100-6214 FREEDOM DBA DELTA
DL 6225-6791 COMAIR DBA DELTA C
DL 7400-7467 AMERICAN EAGLE
DL 7470-7508 HORIZON AIRLINES U
DL 7509-7543 ALASKA AIRLINES IN
DL 7570-7659 HORIZON AIRLINES U
DL 7660-7688 ALASKA AIRLINES IN
DL 7689-7724 HORIZON AIRLINES U
DL 7755-7812 SKYWEST DBA DELTA

What about all the skyteam Codeshare? Like AF/ KLM or KAL?

Just my opinion. We won't hire until 2013 at the earliest. Second, I do think ACL has some really good post and I too take them, as everything, with a grain of salt. Also ACL they don't need to go over a calender year end to get flow numbers they want, the limits are in a rolling 12, not calender. Third CVG is gone but like someone else said it is not that bad for the system as a whole since those guys did very little CVG flying, it was CVG to ATL then around the country. Yes a loss with the closing but not as much as one would expect.

AC,

We can respectfully disagree on the hiring situation. I think my point was lost a long time ago, and that is; don't get your friends excited about Delta hiring when there is none planned! GS's will be plentiful this summer, but not this winter.

The future size of the Delta's seniority list depends on the 100 seat jet, and who flies them. This will all be hashed out sooner than we think.

I may be wrong about everything. Delta could start hiring tomorrow, and grow to 15000 pilots by 2015 and then we can all be pleasantly surprised.

I do not argue that the 76+ seat flying is always a front burner issue. I am sure as the day is long that if we offered 100 seats and below that they would buy the E-Series jets.
I know they have stated that there is no interest in Old Technology, but the rethoric about the GTF has died down considerably over the last two months. (Point being they are being noticeably quite about the C-Series. No more public statements that they do not like the jet) I also know that the EVP of Flying Ops went to YUL a week or so ago to have a dinner meeting.

Point is that things are changing and their positions seem to have shifted. I know that from talking to many people at D-ALPA and over on the company side of things, they realize the fallout from letting the 100 seat jet off of the property will cost more than what they would save by having DCI fly it. (Again not my words, but they were and are my feelings as well)

I have heard some really bold statements about the 100 seat flying,and from people that are in positions that should not make those types of statements unless they know them to be true.

I do think that the 100+ seat flying will be decided in the next two to three years. I also know for a fact that given the demographics of this group at Delta, there is no way that they will be able to buy it with even a 40% bump. We are still reeling from the 50-70 seat outsourcing. People are sick of stagnation and realize that the best pay raise is progression no matter what the rate is. If the company really wants to have DCI fly these jets then they are going to have to bring more than their wallets. (It is not going to happen)

The plans that seem to finally be solidifying, are better for the corporation than the DCI Experiment, and could actually benefit the mainline pilot. As I have stated the next two to three years will tell the tale. There are DCI contracts that they need to fulfill, but after than I think that you will see DCI shrink. The whole entity is a black pit for money. There will always be DCI, it will just take on a new shape.

God forbid that I am wrong and you are correct, it will cost me my job, and that is fine. If we sell that flying, it would be very hard to work here after that. (Slow and painful death of this profession will just continue) I have my backup plan, and if it becomes the main plan, my family would probably benefit.

Just my opinion. We won't hire until 2013 at the earliest. Second, I do think ACL has some really good post and I too take them, as everything, with a grain of salt. Also ACL they don't need to go over a calender year end to get flow numbers they want, the limits are in a rolling 12, not calender. Third CVG is gone but like someone else said it is not that bad for the system as a whole since those guys did very little CVG flying, it was CVG to ATL then around the country. Yes a loss with the closing but not as much as one would expect.

CVG being gone as you stated will not cause that bid of an effect on staffing. Most of their flying is ATL flying anyway.

You are probably correct, I could not remember the exact wording of LOA 2010-10&12

Latest resources

Back