• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Connection Academy...THOUGHTS????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta Connection Academy what do you rate it?

• Good

Votes: 45 14.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 207 67.6%
  • Average

Votes: 54 17.6%

• Total voters
thorrr said:
The school chages more per hour for these aircraft than Avion, next door, charges for its BRAND NEW cessna 172RG equipped with GPS and all decked out. I am not aware of FSI or ERAUs cost, so i cannot compare to them.
Ummm, I doubt this, since the last new 172RG rolled off a Cessna line around 1984 or so. New 172s, maybe, but not RGs. Details count...

Nu

NuGuy said:
Ummm, I doubt this, since the last new 172RG rolled off a Cessna line around 1984 or so. New 172s, maybe, but not RGs. Details count...

Nu
...thanks... will look into it. the prices of the RG I verified in person, but i have not actually seen the aircraft; descriptions come from friends in my groundschool class. I'll check tomorrow.. thanks!

EDITED/ADDED TEN MINUTES LATER
---------------------------------------------------
Okay.. I just got laughed at. They have a 172R in addition to an RG. I believe its the R I was refering to. RG=Retractable gear? I didnt make that connection til my friend explained it.
anyway. . . The RG rents for more than the R and thus I assumed it was the newer model. Go figure.
Again, this information is not directly from Avion... I'll verify it tomorrow. Thanks for pointing that out. ya learn something new every day!

Last edited:
. . . Avion Doesnt have any RGs... it was SPs I was thinking about. They have 172 Rs and 172s also. . . the majority have GPS installed. And All are less expensive per hour than a 152 at DCA. Thanks. and sorry about the lack of detail ;-) Ill pay more attention next time...

Avion had an RG and a 172N with a G430, but they were lost when rented to DCA students and instructors.

Last edited:
I wish I would have been informed prior to going to DCA. I was in the DCA program at Jacksonville University. Did my Private, Instrument, Comm ASEL at DCA. Now I am pulling my head out of my ass and I am getting out, just signed up to get my multi and CFI tickets at ATP (for much cheaper, and faster) and will probably attend a state school back home on academic scholarship (The offer was there out of high school, but I was an idiot and believed DCA/JU was only way to airlines- I wasnt informed.....). If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to ATP from the start and went to a state school for a degree other than aviation. Right now I have about 55 credits at JU, but most of those will be worth nothing because the aviation credits wont transfer. Oh well, you live and you learn....

jaxpilot said:
I wish I would have been informed prior to going to DCA. I was in the DCA program at Jacksonville University. Did my Private, Instrument, Comm ASEL at DCA. Now I am pulling my head out of my ass and I am getting out, just signed up to get my multi and CFI tickets at ATP (for much cheaper, and faster) and will probably attend a state school back home on academic scholarship (The offer was there out of high school, but I was an idiot and believed DCA/JU was only way to airlines- I wasnt informed.....). If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to ATP from the start and went to a state school for a degree other than aviation. Right now I have about 55 credits at JU, but most of those will be worth nothing because the aviation credits wont transfer. Oh well, you live and you learn....
I'm trying to figure out who you are. Line person at Craig Air Center??? I think I might know but not sure. Maybe you can figure out who I am? Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Keep the faith. ATP is bound to work out just keep flying.

Last edited:
Good Research = Good Results

Do 6 months of research on all schools part 61 or 91. Go visit all of them. See what they offer you, see what potential there is to get a job, post school. Find out by talking to instructors and students who are attending. The prices that I found are closely equivilent. I visited from west to east, Sierra, Spartan, Embry Riddle, PanAm, U of North Dakota, ATA, Flight Safety and Delta Conection, including numerous part 61 type schools.
I simply wanted my money to go the farthest based on my goals, 1. I wanted to be a CFI in order to gain experiece and keep the prices down, 2. I want a cushion for industry failures like 9/11, every instructor I've seen at DCA that got their 1000 hours (about 250, got jobs if they wanted to, some failed interviews, but this school just sets more up for you and they got jobs)
3. I wanted a rigorous program, I wanted challenge, I didn't want to just 'pay' for my ratings without merit like many other schools selling points. I've never seen such standards and hard workers in my life than this place.
If you come here, focus follows attitude. Don't distract, stay the course and you will come out the otherside. Tons of new connections comming up too, 777 simulator time at Delta in Atl, a contract with another airline, etc.
Good Researching

Rigor and challenge

skydesk said:
I wanted a rigorous program, I wanted challenge, I didn't want to just 'pay' for my ratings without merit like many other schools selling points. I've never seen such standards and hard workers in my life than this place.
If you come here, focus follows attitude. Don't distract, stay the course and you will come out the otherside.
Never mind the oppressive DCA environment and politcking, which subverts straightforward hard work and fair treatment. I had a glimpse of DCA's culture during my interview and did not care for it.

It cannot be said that DCA has cornered the market on rigor and challenge. I worked at three 141 flight schools. By its very nature, 141 is rigorous and challenging. Compared to unstructured Part 61, part 141 TCOs ordinarily have just a few lessons and limited reps, which means students must be prepared for each flight and instructors will push them hard to learn. Granted, 141 schools tend to be political and competitive because of the goals at the end, usually to be hired by the school to instruct. But that does not mean that free license inures to management and chief pilots to oppress students and instructors.

Hope DCA works out for you.

Last edited:
Standaman

hey Standaman, are you Scott Stanley? I looked at my post and realized it was kind of harsh on DCA. I was just frustrated that day I guess. I value the training I got there but I wish I would have done some research, talked to some students on the costs they incurred. The cost is the only thing I did not like. When I got the estimation, it was $45,000 for private through MEI. When I got done with my private and had talked to other students, I realized that cost was impossible to maintain, but I continued to pull through till I got my Commercial, and now I cannot not afford it after 3 semesters at JU. Rob Clarke says they are working to come up with new figures for the average student cost, which is a good thing. Now I cannot get any loans because of all the loans I took out to while there, to do "review flights", etc etc. I am still on great terms with everyone there and I still work at the Air Center. I know the program works (If you can afford it) because of all the instructors I see leaving for the airlines. My DCA training from private thru commercial will serve as a good foundation for me as I get my advanced training at ATP, my multi class date is Jan. 2, CFI Program class date is Jan. 17. I should be an MEI, CFI, CFII by Jan. 30. Kinda scary isnt it since you probably remember me as a lowly instrument student in your ground school. TTYL

Cruise Check - Dis sled be horizontal tro me da 411

There's always a few people who cannot cope with hard work, perseverance and involvement. There was a guy here, going through the program who's dad was a Delta pilot, was rich and was a decent pilot. Once he got on-line, he sputtered, always talking about how he could go somewhere else and he could do this-and-that but in reality, he just didn't cut it, in exchange he went back to his old run-of-the-mill job. Friends of his, including myself, always thought, quit your whining, in 10 months of teaching you'll be interviewing with the regionals. I can tell you summarilly that if you are one of these kind of guys expect the same as above.
The truth is that 141 programs are very different. The large, multi-million dollar schools have to worry about tighter FSDO standards, college accreditation, stricter ground schools and stringent 141 requirements. I once attended a 141 school where non-"rigorous" Jeppesen lessons were the only thing they had; this is common across the United States. At these places it is not uncommon to finish your private pilot license in a year, Ibid for your instrument and so on.
Oppressive environment, as aforementioned by the Denver Broncos guy, you mean pressure environment don't you? Your past experience is not what it is today. People are instructing for 10 months and then flying a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** CRJ, it's crazy good. I have a feeling that you are more like the Delta brat who has lots of bitches but no solutions especially here on a solitary, Saturday morning? I hope not but, why else hang out around this thread all the time?
The best experience is found by the one who does the best research. Go test it out, set up your table that things will be weighed against. Change the aviation world around, look at stability, talk to instructors, students and administrators, look at time tables, how about money? Good Luck All.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back