• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Connection Academy...THOUGHTS????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta Connection Academy what do you rate it?

• Good

Votes: 45 14.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 207 67.6%
  • Average

Votes: 54 17.6%

• Total voters
bobbysamd said:
Was that not the original intent of the Gold Seal CFI program? The Gold Seal is an accomplishment of which I am proud, but it only resulted in a nice extra credential to put on my resume. . . . . and, don't forget, serving as management and ownership's lackeys. As long as they are serving in that function, don't count on them to be entirely supportive of and helpful to the instructor masses. They will cover their respective asses long before they stick their necks out for you.
Very true. I've seen a few guys that will hang it out for you or take a stand, but chances are those guys already have their ticket out the door.

boobysamd said:
I have worked in three well-known 141 schools and have experienced Comair (DCA). Based on my experience, I would say these problems plague many schools, with some being bothered more than others. But that does not mean these problems are acceptable, tolerable, and should be tolerated. Once again, whether you are a new instructor just there to build time or a career instructor, it all boils down to respect. Respect may not mean much to you when you're young, but as you gain life experience you find it starts to mean something. My earlier comments about Comair turn on that issue.
True beyond words...

In any event, thanks for an intellegent conversation on the topic. Happy Holidays!

Nu

RAA (www.raajobs.com) has extremely presentable students as well as instructors and personell. Things are conducted in a wonderful airline geared atmosphere. They have like a 98% hire rate and a 100% interview rate. Most of their alliances are about 500/100. Their program includes a CRJ or ERJ type rating in Denver at CAE. The program is very efficient, and not misleading. You get there, you get things done, and still don't feel pressure in the atmosphere provided. Despite the low time, the instruction is good quality, and the FOS course is taught by very experienced pilots who come from great backgrounds including airline capt., military and airline training. The planes are not the newest, but they are kept up, and work great. The cost is competitive, and not the cheapest, but relative to the quality of the school, it's impressive. Many of the airlines who have alliances make regular but unscheduled stops to give pre-interviews. Many have been hired before they even finish the FOS, or step foot in Denver assuming they finish the program and have the minimum time. I don't guaruntee this experience to everyone, but simply offer that it's what I've experienced personally. With this said, I want to offer that I at no time "bashed" another school, but only complemented mine. Though this may bring due discussion, I urge to continue the respect...

and no,,, I don't work for RAA

GLW,

I too attended WMU, like you I was completely satisfied with their program. If you are as satisfied with WMU as you say you are then why change. You're gettinga good education at a great school. Stick with it you won't be dissapointed. Besides, how could you live without The Wayside!!!

jaywc7 said:
RAA (www.raajobs.com) has extremely presentable students as well as instructors and personell. Things are conducted in a wonderful airline geared atmosphere. They have like a 98% hire rate and a 100% interview rate. Most of their alliances are about 500/100. Their program includes a CRJ or ERJ type rating in Denver at CAE. The program is very efficient, and not misleading. You get there, you get things done, and still don't feel pressure in the atmosphere provided. Despite the low time, the instruction is good quality, and the FOS course is taught by very experienced pilots who come from great backgrounds including airline capt., military and airline training. The planes are not the newest, but they are kept up, and work great. The cost is competitive, and not the cheapest, but relative to the quality of the school, it's impressive. Many of the airlines who have alliances make regular but unscheduled stops to give pre-interviews. Many have been hired before they even finish the FOS, or step foot in Denver assuming they finish the program and have the minimum time. I don't guaruntee this experience to everyone, but simply offer that it's what I've experienced personally. With this said, I want to offer that I at no time "bashed" another school, but only complemented mine. Though this may bring due discussion, I urge to continue the respect...

and no,,, I don't work for RAA

The program may "include" a CRJ or ERJ type but be assured it would take a fool to believe they weren't actually paying for this. I find it extremely comical in more ways than one (and I will keep this civilized) how anyone could possibly advocate a program where the student pays for a regional jet type rating only to get hired into the right seat making peanuts, longer upgrade times, etc, when in reality the normal career path is to spend X amount of years in the right seat, upgrade to captain, and have the company pay for this type rating during upgrade training. Just maybe with the likes of this sort of a program/set up new regional first officer minimums will state "CRJ/ERJ" type rating preferred but not required." If this practice doesn't allow the bar to continue to go even lower then I surely don't know what does. A low time pilot being sold a regional jet type rating is getting raped as well as taking it from the backside.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences but a few would tend to think that a "type rating" should be company funded during upgrade, I am one of those people. I certainly hope that this practice will continue to be very isolated.

I have never met a lower time pilot who needed that sort of a type rating to get into a regional airline, any suggestion of such I think is insane.

"Fu#%" DCA

It is aimed at the zero time wanna-be pilot who has done no research on flight schools. Furthermore, there is a group of pilots that are preparing a class action lawsuit against DCA for false advertising.If you have a deep enough pocket you will make to to CFI, then they will send you home for 6 mo.. And , finally after you tell them NO, they will never stop harrasing you.........My advise go to ATP or something similar were there at least a guranteed price as long as you dont biff any check rides.............

Oh ya forgot the most important part ....it REALLY cost about $ 65-$75000 to go there ,,,,,that is financial sodomy

taters said:
Oh ya forgot the most important part ....it REALLY cost about $ 65-$75000 to go there ,,,,,that is financial sodomy

Dont they actually quote that amount, but in reality it actually costs $100K? Anways...financial sodomy is a new one, but yet it does speak the truth about alot of places.

As an aspiring airline pilot and University of Illinois Student I find the viewpoints here interesting. I toured the DCA 1 year ago and I didnt have enough time to form much of an opinion die to a late arriving flight and space available tickets. I also work ramp for Comair and ahve run into many pilots who graduated from DCA, U of IL, Flight Safety, and just some old farts ;) no ffense who went to DCA when the total cost of training from 0 to Left Seat was $7000. I'd like to know if anyone visited the Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach, FL. It is my next stop once I get time off from the ramp and school. The DCA Director of Admissions was here last week and I had a brief moment to speak with him as I boarded him. From my 2 hr personal tour I gathered that the aircraft were in good condition although compared to your average FBO but lower than University standard. The staff, instructors and students were wonderful and friendly. The one major Con is the cost, which is why I'm not there and most likely will not be. If anyone has an extra $56,000 don't mail it, I'll fly to your hometown and pick it up.

I got my private done in 2 weeks for a little less than $4000 at a mom and pop FBO....I just dont see the point of a flight academy.

Don't waste your money in DCA. I am currently working for DCAirline, I remembered in my class out of 16 new hire pilots only 1 was DCA CFI. As you can see, airlines don't care what school you have attended. After Delta and Comair filed Chapter 11, I really don't thnk DCA can promise you anything.

Latest resources

Back