• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and SWA 717's a done deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What makes the culture so great is how well the Southwest pilots are compensated. With good will alone, you are JetBlue or Skywest pilots. It's all about the total compensation.

Well you know everything don't you?
I don't separate compensation from culture- it is a part of it, in the form of kept promises, and equitable sharing of profits by those who earn them.
But don't fool yourself that SWA is anything close to any company that retains Ford and Harrison union busters. (which is both of those)

AirTran and Southwest reject!

Originally Posted by captain caveman
What makes the culture so great is how well the Southwest pilots are compensated. With good will alone, you are JetBlue or Skywest pilots. It's all about the total compensation.

The top quote from you own profile shows what you know about culture at SWA. The second just confirms the first.

I ran into a AirTran 717 pilot recently. He said Gary told him personally that if we get rid of all 717's, we will keep the pilots.

I have not been lied to by Gary or SWA yet.

If the AirTran pilots have a choice then Kelly would be true to Thais word .

I think I would take Delta over SWA if it is true that that Delta pilots believe in seat protection and relieve seniority .

Outerlimits:

Did Gary say they would have a choice?

Everyone has a different belief system. I respect and understand yours even though it's different than mine.

You want to "relieve" them of their seniority? Froidian slip? ;)

I know Froidan is probably spelt wrong. There is a silent something in it.

Last edited:
The only way an AT guy makes it into a double-breasted suit would be if they interview and get on the bottom of the list - or go buy one at Jos A. Bank. But it'll probably take about half a dozen more "done-deal" threads before folks wake up to that fact...

The only way an AT guy makes it into a double-breasted suit would be if they interview and get on the bottom of the list - or go buy one at Jos A. Bank. But it'll probably take about half a dozen more "done-deal" threads before folks wake up to that fact...

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

DL will not entertain 717s with pilots. Mgt is way too smart, unlike GK, to start a pilot civil war during a SLI with lowest pay a/c on the list.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

DL will not entertain 717s with pilots. Mgt is way too smart, unlike GK, to start a pilot civil war during a SLI with lowest pay a/c on the list.
Why would the 717 be the "lowest pay a/c on the list"? How many seats do the Delta DC-9's have?

You probably already know this, but the AirTran 717's have 117 seats, including Business Class. In an all-coach configuration (like SWA would do), that number becomes 125. Also, a 717 cockpit is nothing like a DC-9, not even close. If a former NWA DC9 pilot were to step into a 717 cockpit, he would be lost amongst all the digital screens. Same goes for an ATN 717 pilot who might step into a DC9 and its round dial steam guages.

I would imagine that the DL pay rate would fall somewhere between the DC-9 and MD90.

Latest resources

Back