Delta and SWA 717's a done deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Word from two seperate sources the same day:

1: Senior Sim guy at AAI on jumpseat giving line check: Negotiations going well for the 717s until Airbus stepped in and told delta that what ever deal they work out with Boeing, we will one up it for some 319s. Last longer perform better, etc, etc.

2: JS home to ORF on a delta 320. The FO said he was told the exact same thing. I forget from whom. Wife, union, FA, CP, Starbucks coffee maker, etc, etc

This was true a few weeks ago. Not sure if that changed. Maybe thy will get both.

The flight deck of the 717 is like an MD-11. Fairly significant departure from the DC9. Higher thrust engines, higher operating altitude. The only real similarity is the wing and flight control system of cables and pulleys. No one who flies the line has a clue what is going on with the 717 at SWA or Delta.

PCL- would you want the choice?

I think you'd be surprised at the significant number that would would consider tearing up the "lottery ticket" if given the choice of WN as it stands, or DL with a fair and equitable SLI.

The flight deck of the 717 is like an MD-11. Fairly significant departure from the DC9. Higher thrust engines, higher operating altitude. The only real similarity is the wing and flight control system of cables and pulleys. No one who flies the line has a clue what is going on with the 717 at SWA or Delta.

Having flown both I can say this has zero to do with the discussion.I really think they will go with the 319 anyway.

I ran into a AirTran 717 pilot recently. He said Gary told him personally that if we get rid of all 717's, we will keep the pilots.

I have not been lied to by Gary or SWA yet.

I ran into a AirTran 717 pilot recently. He said Gary told him personally that if we get rid of all 717's, we will keep the pilots.

He has stated that publicly as well. I suspect that if the deal goes down, it will be for jets only.

Winner^^^

I think you'd be surprised at the significant number that would would consider tearing up the "lottery ticket" if given the choice of WN as it stands, or DL with a fair and equitable SLI.

I don't view choice as a bad thing -
I don't view this as any more realistic than PCL does- but for our own culture's sake, I wish a deal could be done that would provide a choice for AT pilots. Some would definitely choose delta- and what great choices to have

But this:....."with a fair and equitable SLI." is.....well, it would highlight that every airline out there that was defending you against big mean swa would be employing all tactics at their disposal in an SLI as well. Especially delta.
I think it would put things in perspective and give pilots a greater sense of control over their lives.
I see no downside, where I think it sucks that it wouldn't happen- but I very much doubt it will

waveflyer;2294691- said:
but for our own culture's sake, I wish a deal could be done that would provide a choice for AT pilots.

What makes the culture so great is how well the Southwest pilots are compensated. With good will alone, you are JetBlue or Skywest pilots. It's all about the total compensation.

Latest resources

Back