Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta acquisition of NWA almost finalized!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you kidding me? I've been with DAL 14 months, I am 600 numbers away from captain, holding a line on the B767, flying Europe and South America, 16 days off blocked for 109 hours, with per diem at 2.40$. Yeah I am ok being at the bottom. Oh yeah, another $10,000 month.

Thank you very much, and the best of it all, one leg a day, with 1/3 of the flight in a bussiness class seat.

You can call it what you want, but an arbitrator is going to look at this as a merger of equals. The arbitrator's charter and goal is to creat a fair and equitable list of pilots to move forward at the new company...not to creat a windfall based on lopsided demands and expectations of one pilot group.

Oh he is, is he?

Pretty bold statement considering the disatrous outcomes of other acquisitions and the arbitrations surrounding them.

This thing can have 3 possible outcomes. 2 of the 3 will have "USAirways" type implications to them.

Even if the arbitrator comes back with a DOH type scenario, look at how many people will be outraged over that. Pilots on this board are continually sniping about who brings what to the table, who is buying who, who had better "career expectations", who got who a raise.

It is currently passed off as a "friendly rivalry" right now, but then again, it always is before the USAPA hits the fan. When the party is over and the hangover begins, watch for the voices to become a little more shrill and markedly more hostile. What happens if furloughs become a real possibility or actually take place?

The Delta Family will become the Lohan Family. If you think I am wrong you are ignoring history.

Heyas Schwank,

Take a good look at TR's latest staffing letter. You will see that they plan to INCREASE staffing on the DC-9 by 50 crews over what they planned.

Just enough for a new crew base, doncha think?

Nu

Nu,

Thanks for updating Schwanker with the facts. The truth hurts.

I don't think he speaks for the collective Delta group and he is showing his lack of seniority when he grasps at straws to interperate the facts in his favor.

The sooner we all realize that this is a merger of equals, the sooner we can all lower our expectations for that big windfall decision from the aribitrators. No one is going to be completely happy and I am fine with that.

I think a big reason for the uptick in bodies needed on the DC9 is due to the fact that DAL wants to keep the -50 series. This is going to be a combined airline and RA is already shaping it to be that way.

Nice try Shwanker. Let the professionals do the arbitrating and try to stick to the facts and keep the emotions out of it. I am sure your peers at Delta would appreciate it. I appreciate a good debate, but only when facts are used instead of emotion.

Divisiveness is going to get us NOWHERE.

Oh he is, is he?

Pretty bold statement considering the disatrous outcomes of other acquisitions and the arbitrations surrounding them.

This thing can have 3 possible outcomes. 2 of the 3 will have "USAirways" type implications to them.

Even if the arbitrator comes back with a DOH type scenario, look at how many people will be outraged over that. Pilots on this board are continually sniping about who brings what to the table, who is buying who, who had better "career expectations", who got who a raise.

It is currently passed off as a "friendly rivalry" right now, but then again, it always is before the USAPA hits the fan. When the party is over and the hangover begins, watch for the voices to become a little more shrill and markedly more hostile. What happens if furloughs become a real possibility or actually take place?

The Delta Family will become the Lohan Family. If you think I am wrong you are ignoring history.

You guys must not read the ALPA stuff. Its arbitrators, like 3 guys not one. Its a new way of doing things and should be better for all. Try to pay attention before you post will ya.

As a NWA new hire in FEB 2008, the following is where I would stand for total seniority with a DAL NWA merger by strickly only DOH vs. NWA staying as a stand alone carrier

DAL NWA DOH only //NWA only
in 5 yrs bottom 1.2% //bottom 2.4 %
in 10yrs botton 13.6%/ /bottom 22.0%
in 15yrs bottom 41.6%// bottom 52.2%
in 20yrs top 70.7%// top 76.7%
in 25yrs top 90.2 top// 93.8%
in 30 yrs top 97.7%// top98.9 %

based on 12279 total pilots with DAL NWA vs NWA 5156, all pilots flying until age 65 retirement..either way the next 10yrs new guys wont move much at all!!!!

Last edited:
Nu,

Thanks for updating Schwanker with the facts. The truth hurts.

I don't think he speaks for the collective Delta group and he is showing his lack of seniority when he grasps at straws to interperate the facts in his favor.

The sooner we all realize that this is a merger of equals, the sooner we can all lower our expectations for that big windfall decision from the aribitrators. No one is going to be completely happy and I am fine with that.

I think a big reason for the uptick in bodies needed on the DC9 is due to the fact that DAL wants to keep the -50 series. This is going to be a combined airline and RA is already shaping it to be that way.

Nice try Shwanker. Let the professionals do the arbitrating and try to stick to the facts and keep the emotions out of it. I am sure your peers at Delta would appreciate it. I appreciate a good debate, but only when facts are used instead of emotion.

Divisiveness is going to get us NOWHERE.

RedRum,
Are you sure you're speaking to the right person? Maybe you should re-read my posts and see where I work. Nu just re-emphasized my point.

Schwanker

Without a large expansion at the stand alone dal(which would not happen with the current/future economic environment) the bottom guys at dal would be bottom for a long, long time.

I'm perfectly happy to be a lineholder in the 767ER. At year 3 pay I will be content making close to $100/hr with override and enjoying 48hr layovers in Europe.

Let's hope the arbitrators don't allow me to "windfall" into the right seat of a -9 in DeToilet.

Are you kidding me? I've been with DAL 14 months, I am 600 numbers away from captain, holding a line on the B767, flying Europe and South America, 16 days off blocked for 109 hours, with per diem at 2.40$. Yeah I am ok being at the bottom. Oh yeah, another $10,000 month.

Thank you very much, and the best of it all, one leg a day, with 1/3 of the flight in a bussiness class seat.

Jetjockey,
How many years will it be before you see 600 retirements from the original DAL list? It will be a long time! At NWA, we'll lose well over 2000 before you see 600.

As a NWA new hire in FEB 2008, the following is where I would stand for total seniority with a DAL NWA ....
I just re-read the Nicolau award and he put a lot of effort into trying to maintain pre-merger career expectations.

His ratios were constructed so as to not to cause a displacement from any pilot's current position and provided for any pilot then in training to continue to the position they were training for. Then, he used a fence to protect the US Air senior international flying and this fence extended to replacement aircraft. This fence was intended to preserve pre-merger expectations.

I don't know if anyone remembers my "fair plan" where each side would be able to stove pipe up their own airline's retirement flow, but the fence had the same intent at US Air.

America West was thought to have the better contract pre-merger and that would benefit the US Air guys. The US Air pilots had better retirement succession due to their age. These factors appear to have been balanced and cancelled (as I expect they will be with the DAL/NWA SLI).

Fortunately Delta and NWA do not have the huge problem of furloughs. At US Air the furloughs went back to 16.4 years seniority. That was the part of the Nicolau award that was packed in dynamite and drew the only dissenting opinion from the Pilot neutral.

Forecast (JMWAO based on Nicolau's logic)

I don't see nearly the problems, nor the threat, or a US Air style meltdown.

If past action is an indicator of future results, I think Arbitration Panelists will cancel out the NWA retirements with DAL's pre merger contract, growth, lrager number of retirements and equipment. If there is a correction needed, I think it will come in a form of bid protection, or fence. (not dynamic seniority, but the same effect)

The ratios will be driven by relative seniority based on equipment (stacked in order of pre-JPWA pay).

Looking at other, more ethereal factors, an equipment order and promises of growth will take the sting off any discontent. Several things seem to add up to more 777’s and 737’s.

Again, just my opinion ....

(for any US Air pilots reading this, I'm not taking sides on Nicolau, just trying to see how that logic might be applied to a DAL/NWA scenario)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back