• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 717 problems?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GK bought FL to get rid of a very able competitor. I personally believe he made a bad decision to get rid of the 717, as it seems to fit nicely on the WN routes that have lighter loads, like ORF and BDL. I've heard his decision was based on advice from WN MX poobahs who advised him the RR BR715 motors were unreliable, which initially were somewhat accurate. Only GK knows for sure :) Those problems have been corrected and FL ontime performance and completions used to be at the top. I think the happiest guy on this merg.er is Richard Anderson, he got a good deal on 88 airplanes and WN's drawdown in ATL has allowed for much higher yields in markets that FL no longer serves such as ATL-MEM, ATL-CLT, ATL-PNS to name a few
I think the jet would have done great in a West coast North/South Shuttle Bay area to SoCal.

Yea exactly..freebrd has it set in his brain that I am an alter-ego of Genital...its pretty funny.

That's because you are. Funny how you just "appear" on all his threads. In fact I think "General" has at least 5 alter egos on here. He is not a pilot. Hes a geek forum troll.

That's because you are. Funny how you just "appear" on all his threads. In fact I think "General" has at least 5 alter egos on here. He is not a pilot. Hes a geek forum troll.

Oh another one, sweet!

737-700 and 717 have SAME operating cost at SWA according to people who say they are smarter than me! ;-)

737-700 and 717 have SAME operating cost at SWA according to people who say they are smarter than me! ;-)

Perhaps. But when you figure in the fact that the -700 was a far more desirable airframe on the world market, with corresponding higher lease/ownership costs, tying up that capital vs running the existing airframe at an already predetermined lease rate? GK's the acct, not me. He's the boss but I just feel he may have been a little gunshy on advice from some of his subordinates who really knew very little about the airframe, or it's actual reliability. I've heard the experts in here proclaiming it couldn't carry any cargo, when in fact the landing wt could have been raised by 6000 lbs with the stroke of a pen on a checkbook, for a somewhat nominal raise in landing fees.

Perhaps. But when you figure in the fact that the -700 was a far more desirable airframe on the world market, with corresponding higher lease/ownership costs, tying up that capital vs running the existing airframe at an already predetermined lease rate? GK's the acct, not me. He's the boss but I just feel he may have been a little gunshy on advice from some of his subordinates who really knew very little about the airframe, or it's actual reliability. I've heard the experts in here proclaiming it couldn't carry any cargo, when in fact the landing wt could have been raised by 6000 lbs with the stroke of a pen on a checkbook, for a somewhat nominal raise in landing fees.
I really don't think it had anything do with the attributes or deficiencies of the airframe, it really all boiled down to this:
"The Company's annual pre-tax results are expected to benefit by approximately $200 million, after all Boeing 717s are transitioned to Delta and replaced with Boeing 737 flying."

Not true, not even close. Read above. You can't sell these at a "loss" and yet still make out ahead, if they really did cost the same. They don't.

That's def a bitch-slap in the face. But I gotta back my new homeboys....I hope RA gets bitch-slapped back

How? By adding 6 717s to DAL? You mean he won't fill them? Look at the downsizing of ATL by SWA already. RA has won.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh another one, sweet!

Actually, my first alter ego is a female I made up called Box Office. I play a disgruntled female always thinking I am a mainline pilot, when in fact I'm actually an Expressjet FO. I try to fit in, but instead I know I can't, and I slam my other personalities. As Box Office I can truly act completely idiotic, a total train wreck of stupidness. I can actually finally act like that other duo of dumbness, Mercyful and Freeturd! All 3 of us (actually 2) can finally provide no useful information, like Red-liar at SWA! Everything is wonderful!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back