• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Decade long rumor of SWA buying Q400's back

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And don't forget SWA was the airline that was going to do all their International expansion with Volaris and West Jet 737 pilots at one point. We all live in glass houses.

What?

We are doing it ourselves now, with the help of AirTran. Not sure about the glass houses though...

Those were the only two carriers we approved for codeshare. Now, pretty much defunct.

My apologies if I was wrong, I thought SWA had proposed code sharing with Volaris and West Jet, long before you AirTran merger. Next contract you were able to stop it?

Somewhat similar to our discussion about HA's turboprops.
No easy answers but I think it's safe to say that....

1) SWA cannot operate those A/C and pay your 737 wages.
Why not? Are you confused about blended rates as well. And I'm no hypocrit, I want blended rates for wide body flying as well- and remember - we added 6 passengers through evolve seating and got no extra pay, and agreed to fly -800's for no extra pay- there is some capital we haven't cashed in on.

2) If you operate them with pilots on your seniority list you effectively create a B scale group of pilots doing some of your flying for less than what others on the property are getting paid.see above

3) you create a vehicle for SWA to replace some 737 flying with cheaper turboprop flights.see above, and it goes in the who cares category

4) You will open up a Pandoras box that will eventually morph into something you didn't expect.i agree IF we do some compass type deal and definitely if we allow any domestic code share

5) If you don't get turboprops you will continue to lose market share domestically that is being done by other turboprop operators. not many fly turboprops anymore, and RJs are not cheap or or worth the market share- make no mistake, domestic outsourcing has morphed into simple greed and seniority busting, nothing more

In other words, the cat's out of the bag on turboprop/RJ flying industry wide and there is no easy fix. The best hope is going to be supply and demand driving up wages for those pilots.

I would rather be part of the fix and make the statement that major airline pilots can fly Q's and do it well and profitably- just got to think outside the alpa /legacy box- which I assume there's no argument is an absolute train wreck.??

I liken this conversation to SOUTHWEST.COM

The travel websites revolutionized the industry, but we decided not to use those and control our brand on our own website.
Very few have regretted that decision.
This is very similar.
Code share should be reserved in very limited fashion to those places we CANNOT go to-
Bakersfield, Pasco, and Knoxville are not places we cannot go

AND---

The Q could save a LOT of jobs in west Texas and Oklahoma that are in serious jeopardy after Wright amendment restrictions go away- legacy stations that deserve better than corporate 'who moved my cheese' "change"catch phrases

Think beyond flying and how SWA is struggling with unions about stations that won't have the frequency that has always made us work
And we all know frequency stimulates demand...
We do not have to outsource to protect jobs in a lot of our departments

Last edited:
And don't forget SWA was the airline that was going to do all their International expansion with Volaris and West Jet 737 pilots at one point. We all live in glass houses.

And how did that end up? Maybe one tenth of one hundredth of a percent of our passengers flew those codeshare lines. GK couldn't even pull a number out for those miniscule revenue numbers. Which are oh by the way, now and forever verboten. I like to think while we may live in a glass house, it has a pretty bullet proof window.

To your point 5 above, RJ's are going away or at least trending larger. They are morphing into a cheap 737. We own that market.

However, up to 500NM stage lengths, a turboprop kicks everything's tail. They break even at the 6-900 and only start to lose above that because of flight time. I can easily see a future of legacies having one blended rate for all flying. The only reason not to is to keep the antiquated seniority pyramid system alive and well, which plays handily into managements hands of divide and conquer.

Last edited:
What your "stance" is is irrelevant. Your CEO ain't gonna allow it, and your union is weak.

Their "weak" union has, so far, allowed exactly zero outsourcing. How does that compare to our "strong" union?

My apologies if I was wrong, I thought SWA had proposed code sharing with Volaris and West Jet, long before you AirTran merger. Next contract you were able to stop it?

Years ago, we actually had a European codeshare with Iceland Air. That went away about ten years ago or longer. It was pretty insignificant to begin with, and hardly anyone even remembers. There was nothing in our early contracts to prevent it.

Then we signed an agreement to codeshare with Westjet, but backed out before ever selling a single codeshare ticket. Then we actually did codeshare with Volaris to Mexico, and the agreement between the union and company came with a limitation on codeshared ASMs as a percentage of Southwest ASMs. On our next CBA, we bargained for and got not only a reduced limitation on Volaris ASMs as a percentage, but also a total exclusion of all "far international" and all domestic codeshare with anyone, and "near international" codeshare was limited to exactly one carrier by name, Volaris. That's pretty much the story with Westjet and Volaris.

When the Volaris agreement expired (as it has now), there is no more codeshare allowed by our contract with two exceptions: the limited one with AirTran to allow for the absorption (in the side letter, with a drop-dead date of the end of 2014), and the possibility of limited, inter-island codeshare in Hawaii, whenever the hell we get around to going there. No more international codeshare, and absolutely no RJ codeshare amongst US cities. That's why after the AirTran acquisition, their existing RJ codeshare agreements were terminated immediately, other than to honor already-sold tickets.

Does that answer what you were asking, Dan?

Bubba

Their "weak" union has, so far, allowed exactly zero outsourcing. How does that compare to our "strong" union?

You can't pat yourself on the back for "stopping" something that your opposition never seriously fought for in the first place.

I don't even know what that statement is supposed to mean.

Latest resources

Back