Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Definite no for me and everyone I've talked to

If it has the SWA logo, we fly it and deal with the issues ourselves

Would it be allowed if the pilots were on the SWAPA seniority list and operated under a separate section of the SWAPA contract?

Kind of like when NWA set up Compass.

Why on earth would we even contemplate another group doing the flying instead of us?

Would it be allowed if the pilots were on the SWAPA seniority list and operated under a separate section of the SWAPA contract?

Kind of like when NWA set up Compass.

Yes it would, and that's most likely what would happen in the event of a transaction.

Why on earth would we even contemplate another group doing the flying instead of us?

It would be your group. You, waveflyer, could bid to fly the Q400 and transfer to the Horizon certificate. You would have to go through a new indoc course in addition to systems training. You could then bid to transfer back to the SWA certificate and fly the 737. All Horizon and SWA pilots would be on the same seniority list, and could bid to transfer between airframes, but there would be a different Flight Operations Manual for the two.

A 737 and a Q400 would have different operational requirements, such as departing VFR and picking up a clearance enroute (I doubt they allow the 737 to do that, right?), or maybe allow pax deplaning/enplaning with 1 engine running. Point being, if you want SWA pilots to fly the plane then you have to find a way to allow mgmt to operate the T-prop differently that the 737.

I think this is more about the pilot development pipeline for the future. How is SWA going to fill future seats? Most other majors are positioned for pilot development through their own company structure. Why can't we control our own pilot development? Having two pilot groups on the same property causes so much angst and distrust. I'm still shocked and disappointed in my future group in not immediately moving to represent all SWA pilots, wholly owned or main line. I hope we aren't that short sighted again.

Somewhat similar to our discussion about HA's turboprops.
No easy answers but I think it's safe to say that....

1) SWA cannot operate those A/C and pay your 737 wages.

2) If you operate them with pilots on your seniority list you effectively create a B scale group of pilots doing some of your flying for less than what others on the property are getting paid.

3) you create a vehicle for SWA to replace some 737 flying with cheaper turboprop flights.

4) You will open up a Pandoras box that will eventually morph into something you didn't expect.

5) If you don't get turboprops you will continue to lose market share domestically that is being done by other turboprop operators.

In other words, the cat's out of the bag on turboprop/RJ flying industry wide and there is no easy fix. The best hope is going to be supply and demand driving up wages for those pilots.

And don't forget SWA was the airline that was going to do all their International expansion with Volaris and West Jet 737 pilots at one point. We all live in glass houses.

Latest resources

Back