• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bizjournals.com
Delta pilots 'dismayed' over job cuts
Friday September 23, 12:06 pm ET

Delta Air Lines Inc. pilots released a statement today saying the bankrupt airline's job cuts plan will "impose a further massive burden" on them "without adequate attention to relief from other sources."

Bankrupt Delta said Sept. 22 it will eliminate 7,000 to 9,000 jobs (17 percent of its total workforce) by the end of 2007. Of those cuts, about 25 percent -- 1,750 to 2,250 jobs -- will come from metro Atlanta. It also will cut salaries across the board and expects to reap an annual savings of $325 million just from Delta pilots."

If the delta guys are willing to fly a 79 seat airplane - at such a low rate...then why would they not take the 50 CRJ?

Differance: A handful of seats and a few bucks and hour???

I know we have the whole 1st year suck @ss pay that saves the airline money...but it just seems they could save a ton by running just one airline.

I am asking a serious question - don't beat me up too bad for flying a CRJ.

General Lee said:
Well, our management didn't look far for "current" rates on new 100 seaters. They looked at yours. ....But hey, whatever it takes to become a low cost carrier......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Looks like pay wasn't the only thing Delta copied in the last 3 years! Song, sound familiar. I believe this was long before Jetblue "lowered the bar" for 100 seat pay. At least the DALPA boys and girls could try and do something new for a change and stop copying the LCCs. It really is getting old watching Deltoid back-peddle into a LCC by "lowering the bar" even further.

Thank you ALPA! My dues at work again!

Due you Delta guys think these new rates will make people leave the profession altogether and go do something else. It's not that difficult to make 100K in a 9-5 job where you home every night. I know there was a good article in the AJC at the first of the year that profiled several guys that were going to part-time law school and they said upon graduating that they planned on entering the practice of law full time.

B-J-J Fighter said:
Due you Delta guys think these new rates will make people leave the profession altogether and go do something else. It's not that difficult to make 100K in a 9-5 job where you home every night. I know there was a good article in the AJC at the first of the year that profiled several guys that were going to part-time law school and they said upon graduating that they planned on entering the practice of law full time.

I'll be leaving DL by choice, with flying and non-flying options available to me. I have roughly 1000 below me. Several pilots I speak with are also dusting off the log books and cranking out resumes. Why stay at a company that has no retirement, no medical after retirement, only to skim by every month with low pay and spend more time away from the family? For me it's not worth it. I'm willing to park aircraft based on this proposal (BTW, that is leverage)...but I'm probably in the minority. If DALPA gives DCI 79 200 seat jets, my job is history along with a thousand + others.

DL_Infidel said:
For me it's not worth it. I'm willing to park aircraft based on this proposal (BTW, that is leverage)....

I have not yet talked to a pilot who is not willing to park aircraft over this proposal.

skykid said:
Delta won't have to shift strategies half way through after not getting an ATSB loan guarantee, and only has one union to pummel.

I agree there are more differences than www.thestreet.com is mentioning. The playing field is more of a known than an unknown, if I can quote Rumsfeld. With JetBlue's, AA's, UAL's and USAir's future costs becoming more predictable it will be easier for Delta to get financing for 100 seaters. Even SWA's hedges will be less of a factor by 2007, but that is not really important to Delta's future. If certain milestones are met, such as pension termination and leases/debt restructured appropriately, I believe we will see a faster transition at Delta and new aircraft on the property by 2007 or 2008.

michael707767 said:
I have not yet talked to a pilot who is not willing to park aircraft over this proposal.

Typical pilots - only care about themselves. Could care less about the 40,000+ other Delta emplyees that will be affected by "parking aircraft"

So much for restoring the "profession"

Nothing but a bunch of DALPA whores.

Buckaroo said:
Typical pilots - only care about themselves. Could care less about the 40,000+ other Delta emplyees that will be affected by "parking aircraft"

So much for restoring the "profession"

Nothing but a bunch of DALPA whores.

I was once told by a college professor that "people who make generalizations are ignorant." That rings true here. Most DL pilots I've had the pleasure of flying with are quality individuals. According to some, restoring the profession means to capitulate. Sorry, that's not in my blood. Cheers!

So Delta pilots should sacrifice their careers for everyone else's benefit? Nothing personal against non-pilot employees, but they never saw the need to unionize or pay dues, so why should they now expect the pilots to fall on their sword for them?

Latest resources

Back