DAL Wants...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FDJ2 said:
Dizel8, I know you're having fun with this, but do you really think that a pilot group negotiating under CH11 vs. the RLA is in a position to raise the bar or have much leverage in negotiating pay rates?

Then I guess they need to take the fall for the "profession", after all that is how it should be, right?

In all seriousness though, I will not be blaming the Delta pilots whatever the outcome, they need to do, what they feel is best for them. Like someone else said about the 100 seaters, get them on mainline/the property and then worry about the pay. jetblue pilots have been saying this for months, let's get the airplane, have it prove itself, then worry about the pay issue, however, that clearly was not good enough for some. Now, it appear those people were throwing stones at glasshouses, since their attitude has changed dramatically.

Well, our management didn't look far for "current" rates on new 100 seaters. They looked at yours. Our past 100 seater, the 732, paid a lot more. I think Grinstein just called Dave Neeleman and said he owed him a free Pizza party....Dave Bushey will hand out the slices....But hey, whatever it takes to become a low cost carrier......

Bye Bye--General Lee

AnimalTale said:
Cool your jets! BAFANGUY,

My Impression, You are probably a SENIOR CAPTAIN at Delta, all u care about is perserving your pension. Is that true?

No cooling required here. The comments for ALPA to take a stand, particularly at a carrier in BK, are just fruitless chest pounding. Criticism directed at any carrier's pilots, including DL, under these circumstances is so irrational there's likely nothing to be gained by trying to talk the critics.

DALPA's opening memo following entry into BK contained a not-so-thinly disguised threat of resorting to "...self help..." if things didn't go to their liking with the PWA in BK. Take a stand ? You mean like the NWA mechanics ? How's that working for 'em so far ?

So, the judge hasn't done anything to DL yet ? Well, precedent has been set and judging from the opening salvo from DL's BK judge, reasonable guesses can be made about how it's going to go from here. We'll see...

All I care about is my pension ? At this point, since there's little else to do but make decisions in the best interest of my family, bet every cent you have on that. What would be your alternative plan...stick around and lose it all ? Explain that decision to your family. I, and 2000+ people like me, did just what you will do under the same circumstances. This ain't the Boy Scouts...

General Lee said:
Then you really don't know me. You have had over 5000 posts to figure it out. I care about our furloughs (I know many), and I enjoy the whole industry. I like to rib you guys at B6 and I give krap to the Comair guys for snubbing our furloughs, but that is about it. Have a great one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

sure you do...thats why you and your dalpa boys picked up extra flying. oh, thats right, you were "saving the company", or was it, "there was nothing we could do about it".........

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/comment/dumbest/10243990.html

The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
By Colin Barr
Companies Editor
9/23/2005 7:04 AM EDT
Click here for more stories by Colin Barr

Delta, Delta, Delta
Can bankruptcy help ya, help ya, help ya?

1. Liftoff

Even in bankruptcy, the airline industry seems doomed to repeat its own mistakes.

On Thursday, Delta (DAL:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) tightened its belt yet again. Just a week after seeking Chapter 11 protection, the big Atlanta-based carrier set plans to eliminate as many as 9,000 jobs on top of the 8,000 it has cut in the last year. Delta is calling for staffwide salary givebacks too, mostly in the 7% to 10% range. All told, the moves will help Delta to slash annual costs by $3 billion.

No one doubts the cutbacks are necessary. Hefty overhead and a sharp rise in energy prices have laid low big carriers such as US Airways and Northwest (NWACQ:Nasdaq - commentary - research - Cramer's Take), and even stronger players such as Southwest (LUV:NYSE - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) have grown dependent on gimmicks like fuel-price hedging. And to his credit, Delta CEO Gerald Grinstein saved the deepest cut for himself, docking his own pay 25%.

But underlying Delta's latest plan is yet another optimistic assumption, the likes of which you'd think industry execs would have gotten over by now. Delta is assuming it can zip through bankruptcy court in just over two years.

Delta's comments echo those made by United parent UAL almost three years ago. In December 2002, CEO Glenn Tilton pledged to get United back on its feet in just 18 months. But today, UAL is still operating under bankruptcy protection. Last week it disclosed plans to emerge from Chapter 11 on Feb. 1 -- nearly 38 months after its bankruptcy filing.

"Delta will move quickly and decisively to do what is necessary to beat our competitors and meet our financial commitments, and this means we will become a smaller, more cost-efficient airline, with a strengthened network and a stronger balance sheet," Grinstein said Thursday. "Our transformation will be sweeping and fast-paced; it must be if we are to survive and thrive as a stand-alone company in control of our own destiny."

You can't fault Grinstein for trying. But considering all its other problems, a race against time is the last thing Delta needs right now. http://images.thestreet.com/tsc/common/images/storyimages/dum90.jpg

Dumb-o-Meter score: 90. Considering United's experience, time should be getting some good odds against Delta.

General Lee said:
Well, our management didn't look far for "current" rates on new 100 seaters.

Well, that sounds if it is your problem and you will have to deal with it accordingly. Like I said, whatever the outcome, I shall not be spending time blaming the DAL pilots for lowering the bar, or accusing them of wishing to marry their sister etc.

Strange as it may seem, I hope the best for you all, I just hope you remember that, next time you decide to speak of the "evil" OAL pilots.

Delta's comments echo those made by United parent UAL almost three years ago. In December 2002, CEO Glenn Tilton pledged to get United back on its feet in just 18 months. But today, UAL is still operating under bankruptcy protection. Last week it disclosed plans to emerge from Chapter 11 on Feb. 1 -- nearly 38 months after its bankruptcy filing.

Delta won't have to shift strategies half way through after not getting an ATSB loan guarantee, and only has one union to pummel.

thruthemurk said:
what a weakd#ck argument. I work for sh%t because someday I won't have to?

isn't that why anyone would take a job at a regional? Do you think starting pay, or really any FO pay at a regional is not sh*tty pay? It is. But for some its worth it to be able to move up to RJ captain and/or maybe move on to another airline some day.

Latest resources

Back