DAL Wants...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jehtplane said:
Maybe you did at your regional, we have been holding out for 3 years trying to secure a better future. How could we have let planes go anywhere,I must have missed the meeting when Delta asked what I thought. What is mainline pay? Something you conjured up? Is it the seat amount that bother's you or the fact that it is a turbo-jet. So 200 ATR's would be OK? Management is who is to blame for the state of the airlines, poor planning and mis-management, coupled with rising fuel costs.

Relax. I'm at the same regional as you. I use "we" rhetorically as regional pilots. And the planes I'm talking about ml flying are the midsize planes such as the E170/E190. It was disappointing to me that DALPA relaxed scope in their last TA and didn't negotiate rates for these planes then at what might have been a higher rate. But now that we've been unloaded it's not like it's a fight to keep it all in the family anyhow.

Last edited:
wms said:
Relax. I'm at the same regional as you. I use "we" rhetorically as regional pilots. And the planes I'm talking about ml flying are the midsize planes such as the E170/E190. It was disappointing to me that DALPA relaxed scope in their last TA and didn't negotiate rates for these planes then at what might have been a higher rate.

What about the CR7?

I consider it a commuter compared to the E170. If you've ever ridden in one there's no comparing the two.

It's a sad pattern at DAL. If you want the best service DAL has to offer, you have to pay the lowest price on Song. And if you want to ride one of the best niches to come along at DAL in a while, you have to reach to the bottom of the pay scale. It's a shame pilots are so willing to be paid so much less than they're worth.

Last edited:
wms said:
I consider it a commuter compared to the E170. If you've ever ridden in one there's no comparing the two.

Just so I am understanding you, A CRJ with 250 seats is OK, because it is a "commuter" , but an EMB with 70 seats is not. OK

wms said:

It's that kind of thinking (or lack of thinking) that has contributed to this mess within ALPA. Whatever happened to "AIRLINER" or "AIRPLANE". Tell me wms, what was a DC3, or a Covair 580, or a Martin 404, or a DC7? Were they "commuters"? You would make a great ALPA President. It pays well, and comes with a nice car and driver. You can have meetings all day trying to move the line between "commuter" and "mainline". Quit kissing mainline butt!

Joe

jehtplane said:
Just so I am understanding you, A CRJ with 250 seats is OK, because it is a "commuter" , but an EMB with 70 seats is not. OK

You're misunderstanding me. There is no comparison between the CRJ and the E170. Take one step into an E170 and it is a ML airplane. ML seats, aisles, overheads, jetways, etc. ML in every sense. The CR7 is no different than the CR2 other than the seats. And the CR9 is just more of the same.

wms said:
You're misunderstanding me. There is no comparison between the CRJ and the E170. Take one step into an E170 and it is a ML airplane. ML seats, aisles, overheads, jetways, etc. ML in every sense. The CR7 is no different than the CR2 other than the seats. And the CR9 is just more of the same.

WMS, what was a DC3? Duane is that you? Malone is that you?

Joe

V1andgo said:
Green
The numbers are just intented to start a discussion. Yes, they are low and maybe even too low. But look at it as an average benchmark. More people would make more for a longer period in their career. Also, the pay difference between FO and CAP would be reduced. How good is it to work as an FO for three years at a major just to get furlought and to start allover again at the bottom. Unfortunately, the concept of starting at an airline and to work until you make the big pay-check is just about dead. The numbers are nothing but averages for a broader group of Pilots and intented to smoothen the peaks and valleys of the current pay scales. I tried to look at it from the perspective of earning capacity in a ten year time period, rather than the illusive golden pot at the end of a 20 year career.
By the way, thanks for your reply!

How good is it to work at a regional as an FO for 3 years and get furloughed to start all over again at another regional? Speaking from experience it is terrible. You think it sucks getting furloughed at a major airline? Try getting furlouged at a regional where you are struggling to put food on the table to start with. We are all in the same boat here. Some of us can't make it off of the bottom due to the hand we've been dealt. I'm not asking for sympathy just stating that it happens at all levels not just to guys at the majors.

JoeMerchant said:
It's that kind of thinking (or lack of thinking) that has contributed to this mess within ALPA. Whatever happened to "AIRLINER" or "AIRPLANE". Tell me wms, what was a DC3, or a Covair 580, or a Martin 404, or a DC7? Were they "commuters"? You would make a great ALPA President. It pays well, and comes with a nice car and driver. You can have meetings all day trying to move the line between "commuter" and "mainline". Quit kissing mainline butt!

Joe

They were a different era. The fact is there should be no line between ml and commuters, but there is. I want the line to stay at a point where there is opportunity to move up, rather than increasing the number of planes here to secure a long future at a regional.

Nowadays what seems to draw the line seems to be operational. There is an operational difference between the way we operate vs ML. Compare C and D concourse to the rest of ATL. If you're parking one airplane at one gate, using jet ways only, dragging your bag down the aisle and putting it in the overhead, it's ML. If you're dodging baggage tugs and fuel trucks as you run across the ramp, it's a commuter.

Latest resources

Back