DAL Wants...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not for DCI

If DALPA gives DCI 79 200 seat jets, my job is history along with a thousand + others.

Your right! But I think it was 200 - 79 seaters.

Observation: As of now, the DL pilots have not yet agreed to anything so perhaps the bashing is a tad premature.

Having said that, I"ve been waiting for someone to ask the obvious question but no one has so I'll put my neck on the chopping block.

Assumption #1 - The Delta pilots indicate they are willing to agree with the proposal and the "new" 100-seat rates for airplanes they don't have the money to buy.

Assumption # 2 - A third party figures out that they may do so, and offers to fly the same 100-seat airplane for 15% less, and that 3rd party has the money to buy it at no capital cost to DAL.

Question - What's the DL pilots next move? Do they punt or do they bid again in the hope of recovering the off-side kick?

Maybe Chubby Checker should try to revive that old song - "how low can you go".

Mainline management has already forced regional pilots to "bid" against each other for their flying. Now mainline management is forcing mainline pilots to "bid" against each other for their flying AND to underbid regional pilots for "new" flying (with no guarantee that they will ever get it).

Anybody want to guess how long it will be before management forces maninline and regional to bid against each other for the same flying?

Meanwhile back at the ranch our coaches (the union) happily foster the infighting between our team members at all conceivable levels and pray for a miracle.

Psssst! Management is winning the game and this is the last quarter.

Sometimes that Surplus is a pretty smart guy!!!

I agree! I think you nailed it. I also think our Union is to buisy trying to manipulate the direction the industry is going to benifit a certain few. It is kind of like a mosquito screwing and elephant. They need to get over their agenda and figure out how to best address this changing tide.

surplus1 said:
Observation: As of now, the DL pilots have not yet agreed to anything so perhaps the bashing is a tad premature.

Having said that, I"ve been waiting for someone to ask the obvious question but no one has so I'll put my neck on the chopping block.

Assumption #1 - The Delta pilots indicate they are willing to agree with the proposal and the "new" 100-seat rates for airplanes they don't have the money to buy.

actually Surplus, this is not a speculative question. Delta does have the money to buy a 100 seater. The DIP financing they recieved includes money for some new aircraft. GG talked about it down in the lounge, my chief pilot told me the same thing, and even my union reps have confirmed it. Also, go back and read the press releases about Deltas DIP financing. It mentions it in there.

However, I do agree they will continue playing groups off each other. Look at AWA. They got the EMB-190, but at the price of allowing more CRJ-900s. No doubt AWA management will use that against them down the road.

Buckaroo said:
Typical pilots - only care about themselves. Could care less about the 40,000+ other Delta emplyees that will be affected by "parking aircraft"

I do care about the 40,000 other employees. But I don't care enough to roll over and take it in the a*s from the company either. We will fight for the best deal we can get. I am not ignorant enough to think we can avoid more concessions. But we don't have to give away the farm. What the company is asking for would just about wipe out the narrowbody flying at the mainline. That affects more than just pilots. FAs, mechanics, gate agents, etc will all lose thier jobs if that flying goes to DCI. The jobs we end up fighting for may just be your jobs.

michael707767 said:
However, I do agree they will continue playing groups off each other. Look at AWA. They got the EMB-190, but at the price of allowing more CRJ-900s. No doubt AWA management will use that against them down the road.

Surplus came up with a great question: "How low will you go?". If management suceeds in pitting mainline pilots against regional pilots, which I believe they will, you need to start asking yourself this question. I highly doubt mainline pilots would win a bidding war with regional pilots. After all, we have SJS and you don't! :)

-CF

Last edited:
CheapFlyer said:
I think you need to relax a bit! The title of this thread is called "DAL wants...". This is not exactly what the Delta pilots want, but much of it will be forced upon them. Hopefully they will be able to bargain and keep the pain to a minimum.

-CF

CF,

I wish I could agree with you but I think you're incorrect. Look at what happened over at Alaska. The federal arbitrator gave AS managment a larger paycut than they asked for. AS is and was nowhere close to bankruptcy and enjoys a very lucrative Alaska market where they face no competition from other major US carriers. I'm referring to the flying that remains in Alaska itself not the flying between ANC and the lower 48.

I hope all the Bush fans are happy with who they put in the White House. Right now managment has been provided a green light do whatever they please with labor. Want more of the same? Just keep voting for deficit raising labor hating republicans.

We'll have a chance next year to start shifting the balance of power.

CheapFlyer said:
After all, we have SJS and you don't! :)
-CF

Actually regional pilots have LJS (large jet syndrome), which is why they have allowed themselves to be played as suckers for so long. Any day now they're all going to get 1000 PIC and be hired at JB where they can fly the E-190 "heavy" for 37 bucks. Of couse they'll all upgrade in a year, after which they can fly it for 72. In 5 years they can upgrade to the "super heavy" A320 and fly that for 121, with the added benefit of being able to fly to FAR's on the new and inproved JB promoted standard of 10 hrs/day. (Assuming of course that JB hasn't had to lower that so they can stay "competitive" with U and DL).

Whoopie!

Dave Benjamin said:
We'll have a chance next year to start shifting the balance of power.

True, but by the time 2008 rolls around we'll be so far in the hole that it will take 25 years to recover. I don't have that long. Lucky you if you do.

surplus1 said:
Actually regional pilots have LJS (large jet syndrome), which is why they have allowed themselves to be played as suckers for so long. Any day now they're all going to get 1000 PIC and be hired at JB where they can fly the E-190 "heavy" for 37 bucks. Of couse they'll all upgrade in a year, after which they can fly it for 72. In 5 years they can upgrade to the "super heavy" A320 and fly that for 121, with the added benefit of being able to fly to FAR's on the new and inproved JB promoted standard of 10 hrs/day. (Assuming of course that JB hasn't had to lower that so they can stay "competitive" with U and DL).

Whoopie!

Well said Surplus. Your correct that this "SJS" is really more of a case of "LJS". My understanding is that the ALPA BSIC Clinic in Herndon VA. is trying to come up with a vaccine for this, but they can't diagnose it. They are having difficulty deciding whether this syndrome starts at 37 seats, 40 seats, 44 seats, 50 seats, 69 seats, 70 seats, 78 seats, or 90 seats. I think they have decided that the best cure would be to just ignore the symptoms.

Latest resources

Back